Observations V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
The sad truth is that it a better to miss the playoffs and get a better draft pick than to crap out in the first round

Only if you don't trade your 1st rounder for a couple of retreads.

Seriously though, much as like the Preds making the playoffs, sometimes I do think that it would have been better for the team to have crapped the bed a couple of the years that they squeaked into the playoffs, so that they could have gotten some high draft picks, a la Pittsburgh and Chicago. I know Edmonton has crapped the bed for the past decade it seems and still hasn't gotten any better, but I view them as the exception moreso than the rule.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I said this before the playoffs started but in all the years we've been in the playoffs, we've never had a goalie go on a hot streak. Vokoun never did. Mason didn't. Rinne hasn't. No one. We chase other team's starters and their backups play great or their starter comes back and plays out of this world. Unfortunately, we have never had the hot goalie. Not sure if it's just the goalies we've had, bad luck, injuries, the team makeup, whatever it is, it just hasn't happened for us. Sometimes you don't have to have the world beater goalie, you just have to have someone that is going to be good on a consistent basis, not the highs and lows we are seeing with Rinne right now. If guys like Fleury, Niemi and Crawford can win Cups, there may be some credence to the train of thought of getting a solid goalie but not needing an elite goalie. Unless the name is Roy, Brodeur or Hasek, I don't see the need for a gazillion dollar goalie at this point. Love Rinne but he may not be the guy for us when all is said and done.

After reading this thread and seeing some of the thoughts, I really wonder if we're not in for a major re-tool this summer. Move some valuable assets, gain some younger more valuable assets in return.

Major re-tool?? I don't see that at all being necessary. Maybe I'm in the minority but I am pretty excited about the next few years. We are loaded on D and have the most good young forward prospects we have had in a long time, maybe ever. We definitely need an upgrade at center, but I don't see any need for a major overhaul.

Of course, all of that optimism hinges on Pekka Rinne returning to his normal form next year- a big if right now...

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The sad truth is that it a better to miss the playoffs and get a better draft pick than to crap out in the first round

Do not agree with this at all- so if we do lose to Chicago would you had rather us be Arizona this year? Have a horrendous season and get the #3 pick, missing out on Eichel and McDavid??

No way.

TediT

Mar 9, 2011
I'm assuming you weren't at Game 2... that game alone was worth the price of admission.

You're absolutely right! I'll go through all the grief, for the experiences like Game 2. Having said that, I'm NOT ready for this to end! Go Preds!

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Major re-tool?? I don't see that at all being necessary. Maybe I'm in the minority but I am pretty excited about the next few years. We are loaded on D and have the most good young forward prospects we have had in a long time, maybe ever. We definitely need an upgrade at center, but I don't see any need for a major overhaul.

Of course, all of that optimism hinges on Pekka Rinne returning to his normal form next year- a big if right now...

Unfortunately it's needed. Watch other playoff series and you'll know what I'm referring to. I was watching the Ducks and Jets last night and it was up and down hockey, physical, intense, every thing playoff hockey should be.

Go back and watch our game 3 and our guys are out there playing a lackluster sort of game. If you can't get up for a playoff game, there is a serious problem.

While I have been a fan and supporter of Poile, there is some credence in letting him go. He is unable to build a playoff style team. He can build a team that makes it to the playoffs but he hasn't shown me he's able to build one for the style that the playoffs lend itself to.

We need an upgrade at center and everyone agrees with this. The only way you get an upgrade at center is by making a big move with one of the pieces from the back end and somewhere else. That upgrade will come at the expense of either Weber or Jones and there is no way to avoid that if we want that upgrade up the middle.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Poile has two playoff series wins since coming to Nashville.

I think that qualifies as him not being able to build a team made for the playoffs... at least not consistently.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Unfortunately it's needed. Watch other playoff series and you'll know what I'm referring to. I was watching the Ducks and Jets last night and it was up and down hockey, physical, intense, every thing playoff hockey should be.

Go back and watch our game 3 and our guys are out there playing a lackluster sort of game. If you can't get up for a playoff game, there is a serious problem.

While I have been a fan and supporter of Poile, there is some credence in letting him go. He is unable to build a playoff style team. He can build a team that makes it to the playoffs but he hasn't shown me he's able to build one for the style that the playoffs lend itself to.

We need an upgrade at center and everyone agrees with this. The only way you get an upgrade at center is by making a big move with one of the pieces from the back end and somewhere else. That upgrade will come at the expense of either Weber or Jones and there is no way to avoid that if we want that upgrade up the middle.

Games 1 and 2 were that type of performance from this team. We go to double OT against a team that won two of the last five championships, with plenty of chances to win if we could ever think to elevate the puck ... make that same team melt down in the third period of game two ... then have our own problems in game 3 so we somehow need a complete retool.

We need Pekka to either play near his capability or for Lavi to make the decision to sit him. We need James Neal to show up. We need Wilson to play every game like he did the first two. We need Jones to step up. We need the staff and players to make in game adjustments. We need defensemen to occasionally play defense.

Three games into the playoffs and the Predators are tied for the highest average goals per game scored and have a player tied for the most individual points ... yet we're down a game in this series. The fact we're tied for the most goals allowed per game is killing us.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I really think the Preds need a much better #2 goalie and force Pekka to rest more. I know he says that he plays better when he plays a lot, doubt any hockey player ever asks for less ice time. If he didn't have the pressure of knowing that the team will lose with Hutton in goal and likely figures that a 70% Pekka is better than a 100% Hutton he might be able to perform better in the late season and playoffs. He is one of the oldest goalies playing this year with 11 older and 75 younger.

Regular season he is second in wins with 8th in games started even with being out for extended injury. I would like to see him with 55 - 58 starts being healthy and relatively rested. He will be a year older and maybe recovering from some undisclosed injury before next season. A better back-up will be more important next season though a better one this season might have kept him more healthy for the playoffs.

We do need to have an alternative to 'Preds are a winner IF AND ONLY IF Pekka is great' going forward. All our success eggs in one aging basket. Next year really needs to be THE YEAR for this team. It depends on the summer trades ... our window with the franchise players Weber and Rinne is closing.

Wonder too if our season would have been better with Hornqvist and Spaling and even Jokinen plus future of Leipsic and a first round pick than the players we received. Given how Franson and Santorelli have performed we basically gave up 3 players, a solid prospect and a first round pick for James Neal.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Still don't think we need a major shakeup or retool or whatever you want to call it. Even if we trade Jones for that #1C I don't classify that as a major retool. Other than that C, we have all the other pieces.

And yes, the Ducks/Jets series is a good one, but don't forget, we were ahead of the Ducks in the standings most of the season, and finished 10 points ahead of that Jets team, who is about to get swept out of the first round. You make it sound like we are miles behind them, and we are not......

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014

In Poile's defense, he did try to land that big center that we needed last offseason. It isn't his fault that Spezza refused to go to Nashville. I'm sure that Poile is well aware of what the Preds need to be successful.

Also, keep in mind that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. The offseason moves that Poile made and the coaching change made this team a contender for the President's Cup.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
In Poile's defense, he did try to land that big center that we needed last offseason. It isn't his fault that Spezza refused to go to Nashville. I'm sure that Poile is well aware of what the Preds need to be successful.
Screw Spezza even more after thinking what his addition to this team could've meant.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Still don't think we need a major shakeup or retool or whatever you want to call it. Even if we trade Jones for that #1C I don't classify that as a major retool. Other than that C, we have all the other pieces.

And yes, the Ducks/Jets series is a good one, but don't forget, we were ahead of the Ducks in the standings most of the season, and finished 10 points ahead of that Jets team, who is about to get swept out of the first round. You make it sound like we are miles behind them, and we are not......

There is a couple ways to look at this. 1 the major shake up started last year bringing in a new coach that was 180 degrees from the former coach. The reason there were not more players moved last summer was the ignorant contracts that the hold, especially NTC's. That loosens this summer. Lavi has not had the pieces for his system to be successful here. Rinne carried this team to there record and to the playoffs even though he has been bad for a while. Perhaps there are some young players in the system now that can be the foundation in the future and maybe not. This is not a negative statement in the least. We sure think Fiala and Moses will be a couple that will move Lavi's system forward but that has to be proven on the ice for more than just one season. They could be 50 to 60 point guys or 40 point guys or clones of Jarnkrok we really have no idea.

At best Rinne has two more years of elite hockey left in him. He has no back-up help now or in reality before he retires. Logic would side with Poile going out yet again trying to upgrade the top 6 to max the chances for a cup run before Pekka and Shea are on the quick decline. On the other hand Poile may be forced to rebuild the team by ownership. They put his job on the line about the playoffs this year one can imagine they are not very happy about the team falling apart over the past almost 3 months. A case can be made to tweek the team or to go full rebuild in this offseason. The reason being there will be so many roster spots open. A lot of decisions are going to be made by draft day. It was great to be the team that was hot in the regular season atop the league, but there was no playoff gear there. Many of us saw that and knew Rinne was the reason the team was doing well the first 60% of the year.

If Poile decides again to go into next season with basically this roster supplemented by the guys in the pipeline again it will be up to Rinne to carry the team to playoffs. Im not sure which way Poile will go, but if you look to his history hes never been about blowing up a team. Yes he was forced to sell off by Liarpold but that a different can of worms. I think they will go with Neal, Fiala, Moses and Forsberg in the top 6 but the centers are unsure. Would Wilson be given a chance at center? Will they try Smith at center? Ribs I have no idea there its gonna be 50/50 he returns. Fish is a wildcard as well he could still center the 2nd.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Going down 2-1 in a playoff series while missing our captain (best player) and alternate captain has really gotten a lot of you down! :shakehead

People are talking about a full blown rebuild for a team with a great young D-corp (probably the best in the league), an elite goalie (granted, he is not currently playing like one) and young top 6 wingers set (like it or not, Forsberg, Neal, Smith, and Wilson are going to be our top-6 wingers for a while with Fiala possibly moving someone down a line).

This team is missing a top line center and a big, gritty bottom sixer. That is it! Add a top line center to Ribs, Fisher, and Gaustad, and you are set down the middle.

There are certainly some important decisions to make this offseason (Ribs, Fisher, etc), but a full rebuild is not one of them. There are probably 25 GM's in the league that would gladly trade teams with Poile.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Going down 2-1 in a playoff series while missing our captain (best player) and alternate captain has really gotten a lot of you down! :shakehead

People are talking about a full blown rebuild for a team with a great young D-corp (probably the best in the league), an elite goalie (granted, he is not currently playing like one) and young top 6 wingers set (like it or not, Forsberg, Neal, Smith, and Wilson are going to be our top-6 wingers for a while with Fiala possibly moving someone down a line).

This team is missing a top line center and a big, gritty bottom sixer. That is it! Add a top line center to Ribs, Fisher, and Gaustad, and you are set down the middle.

There are certainly some important decisions to make this offseason (Ribs, Fisher, etc), but a full rebuild is not one of them. There are probably 25 GM's in the league that would gladly trade teams with Poile.

i agree with this. this teams has holes to fill to reach their full potential, as all teams always do
1)a true top line center
2)upgrades on third line (from top down preferably, pushing smith or wilson down a line with a fiala and fisher down because of a center add)
3)a better backup goalie.
4)a left handed stay at home guy defenseman, thats a level above volchenkov/bartley

that center needs to come from free agency (obviously the ideal scenario) or a rh defenseman trade.

so i think we are really only 2-3 players away for the next couple years. then admittedly we have to find rinne's replacement. hopefully he's already in our system. if we could improve enough up front that goalie won't have to be superman to be good enough.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
i agree with this. this teams has holes to fill to reach their full potential, as all teams always do
1)a true top line center
2)upgrades on third line (from top down preferably, pushing smith or wilson down a line with a fiala and fisher down because of a center add)
3)a better backup goalie.
4)a left handed stay at home guy defenseman, thats a level above volchenkov/bartley

that center needs to come from free agency (obviously the ideal scenario) or a rh defenseman trade.

so i think we are really only 2-3 players away for the next couple years. then admittedly we have to find rinne's replacement. hopefully he's already in our system. if we could improve enough up front that goalie won't have to be superman to be good enough.
I feel like this is more likely to happen this off-season than in years past. I haven't paid attention to who will be on the market, but I think with our relatively successful season, and a coach like Lavy who preaches an offensive system (and has won a Cup) we probably aren't seen as a dreadful place to sign. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I felt like/hoped bringing in Lavy would help us in free agency.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I feel like this is more likely to happen this off-season than in years past. I haven't paid attention to who will be on the market, but I think with our relatively successful season, and a coach like Lavy who preaches an offensive system (and has won a Cup) we probably aren't seen as a dreadful place to sign. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I felt like/hoped bringing in Lavy would help us in free agency.

Think you are right on, this season was a preview of what is possible after summer 2015 trades/acquisitions. Definitely showed possibilities of very good things to come. I bet many NTC will be adjusted with Preds off the list. I don't know mechanics, can a player change a NTC during a season or only between seasons?

Still would have liked a banner after the season.

First things first, win tonight & give me a reason to make another trip this season. I really want to be there Thursday if we aren't in a lose and out situation.

Last edited:

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Anybody else find it odd yesterday that Ribs was "given the day off" and was shooting basketballs at the United Center when the healthy rest of the members were practicing?

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Anybody else find it odd yesterday that Ribs was "given the day off" and was shooting basketballs at the United Center when the healthy rest of the members were practicing?

He did play every regular season game and all 3 playoff games, I think he is due a practice off. Not to mention the mental issues with being sued.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
He did play every regular season game and all 3 playoff games, I think he is due a practice off.

And I am pretty sure he wasn't the only one to get a "maintenance" day yesterday.

Now, having said that, I do find it interesting that players get maintenance days during the playoffs- the most important games of the season. Is there another sport where healthy players are just given the day off from practice during the most important time of the year?

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
And I am pretty sure he wasn't the only one to get a "maintenance" day yesterday.

Now, having said that, I do find it interesting that players get maintenance days during the playoffs- the most important games of the season. Is there another sport where healthy players are just given the day off from practice during the most important time of the year?

. Forwards Mike Ribeiro, Viktor Stalberg and Gabriel Bourque did not skate and were given maintenance days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad