Observations, Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Here's was as up and down as anyone and everyone bit as much at fault

Say what you will bit most of the games we lost weren't due to Rinne, most of them were due to the rest of the guys falling flat as hell. He was a bit rough to start the Anaheim series, but after the first couple of games he was pretty damn good.

We also had a heck of a lot of weird bounces go in. Heck I think Josi had like 4 bounce off his body parts alone. That's something we didn't seem to get a ton of in the playoffs or even the season really. Seems like we earned every single goal we got.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I just find it odd that it seems people just want to say , oh well, we had a good season right after this game, rather than , where the hell were you guys and why weren't you skating at all. This team just gave up. From the beginning of this game.

Except pekka. He should have broken his stick in the first period and gone over and chewed his teammates out. He's one of the few that showed up to play last night.

I'm still irritated as hell about the poor ass effort last night. We've seen them exhausted and they gave better effort than this.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Alright that was a little harsh from me.

I'll say this. It wasn't a lack of effort, it was a lack of execution, from everyone, including Rinne. And I think wear and tear was a big factor. Our forwards applied no pressure in any zone, our centers cherry picked, our defensemen turned the puck over at bad times and failed to play the body at times, and Rinne let most mistakes end up in the back of the net.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Utter bull**** to blame last night on "exhaustion"

San Jose play the same damn schedule we did the last two weeks. Did they look exhausted?

The Blues played two straight 7 game series. Didn't keep them from curbstomping the hell out of Dallas in game 7.

That wasn't exhaustion, that was a team that mentally didn't show up.

And don't even try to suggest that I've never been exhausted. . You know better

Last edited by a moderator:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They didn't play the same damn schedule, they played 5 games in the first round with hardly any travel. That's not even in the same ball park as travelling 2k miles for a 7 game series.

I mean sure, that's the same right......

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
They didn't play the same damn schedule, they played 5 games in the first round with hardly any travel. That's not even in the same ball park as travelling 2k miles for a 7 game series.

I mean sure, that's the same right......

Lame excuse.

See above.

Blues had no issues with "exhaustion" and if you're telling me a few extra hours on a plane caused that crap then the Preds better sue the NHL to be allowed to join the EC or we are screwed forever

Hell the Preds were far from "exhausted" in game 6. And they had an extra day of rest. So again, I call bull****

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Don't get me wrong I am disappointed, for sure.

But I don't blame Josi, Weber and Rinne as much as I do Forsberg, Wilson, Smith, Fisher, Johansen, Jarnkrok, Arvidsson, Salomaki, etc.

Neal was the only forward giving any effort. Forsberg looked lost.

Johansen 0 shots on goal
Forsberg 1 shot on goal
Wilson 0 shots on goal
Smith 0 shots on goal
Fisher 0 shots on goal
Sissons 0 shots on goal
Ribeiro 0 shots on goal

You want to know why the defense and Rinne got beat so much, it's because they were under constant pressure because all of our forwards not named Neal or Arvidsson could manage to do anything offensively and applied 0 pressure defensively..

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Lame excuse.

See above.

Blues had no issues with "exhaustion" and if you're telling me a few extra hours on a plane caused that crap then the Preds better sue the NHL to be allowed to join the EC or we are screwed forever

Hell the Preds were far from "exhausted" in game 6. And they had an extra day of rest. So again, I call bull****

Are you fn kidding me. Tell me what team doesn't get exhausted playing every other day for 23 straight days with that much travel between games across 2 time zones, and having 2 of those games go to OT, one of those the longest playoff game in Preds history, playing nearly an entire extra game in OT.

Yeah, they shouldn't have been exhausted.... Are you freaking kidding with this?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I think the exhaustion/travel issue is somewhere between where you guys are at in the disagreement. There were some guys - looking at you Joey, and Ribs, and Flip and Ek - that just didn't show up. There are a couple guys that looked justifiably spent - like Fish.

Then there's our 1st pair. I find it hard to cut them slack for that steaming pile of excrement they displayed last night. I temper it slightly because I do think Lavy skated that pair pretty hard most of the year. I know it was down from last year, but they do truly take the hardest minutes in the league. We used to have guys like Klein who ate up hard PK minutes and could take a little pressure off our top pair - but Jackman can't even give us 2nd pair PK minutes. And in the series, we started off from the beginning playing that third pair too little, and it absolutely caught up to us in game 4 of this series.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Are you fn kidding me. Tell me what team doesn't get exhausted playing every other day for 23 straight days with that much travel between games across 2 time zones, and having 2 of those games go to OT, one of those the longest playoff game in Preds history, playing nearly an entire extra game in OT.

Yeah, they shouldn't have been exhausted.... Are you freaking kidding with this?

Im not saying they didn't have a grueling schedule, but I am saying you can't use that as an excuse, because they obviously weren't so exhausted that they couldn't absolutely dominate game 6.

So if you're trying to say that somehow with two days rest they went from absolutely dominant to so tired that they didn't even show up then Im the one who says "are you *** kidding me?" It doesn't pass the smell test.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I just find it odd that it seems people just want to say , oh well, we had a good season right after this game, rather than , where the hell were you guys and why weren't you skating at all. This team just gave up. From the beginning of this game.

Except pekka. He should have broken his stick in the first period and gone over and chewed his teammates out. He's one of the few that showed up to play last night.

I'm still irritated as hell about the poor ass effort last night. We've seen them exhausted and they gave better effort than this.

Your spot on, this is the frustrating thing for me about this board. And the reason I am viewed as being so negative. This team has had its fatal flaws for a long time. Yet many want to sugar coat it and just say great year and go on.

This team just put out a 2.21 gpg thru 14 games in the playoffs. Anyone who thinks that is good enough to win in the NHL playoffs are fooling themselves. I have already seen a few post this is the best team we have ever iced I have to disagree there. There are a few bright spots sure we have a 1C now and an elite two elite wingers an elite goalie that has began his regression but the supporting staff as a whole is as weak as about any team we have ever iced.

This team was incredibly lucky to hit a Ducks team that just fell apart costing a good coach his job. They were also lucky that the Sharks did not play 4 games like the game 7 game.

I hope that the beatdown last night will finally cause something to happen to the roster to build a team that can truly compete for a cup. I am not going to hold my breath however. I fully expect the roster to be about the same next season only adding a couple more young guys from the farm. This will not take the team forward. It is my hope that Poile finally retires. Lavi's shelf life is up if one goes by his past performance and as talented as Housley is its time for him to go. Two years of special teams that just did not get the job done is enough. Weber needs that C ripped from his chest he sure has not deserved it for a long while now.

I would be remiss if I did not call out Smith for such a poor performance in the playoffs this year. 2 points both in game 2 of the ducks series. But I guess that's acceptable for STREAKY player. Wilson yeah you lead the team in points in the playoffs but big guy your still worthless for the long haul. The golden child is not exempt either #9 with 4 points you better hope that is forgotten since it is contract time. Riberio its time for you to retire or at least move on, he mave have a year or two 3rd and 4th line left but that's not something this team is short of. I hate that Josi had so many brain farts since hes my favorite player on the team, but damn it man he looked teribad too often.

Right down to the end two players stood out Rinne and Neal the only two that really gave a ****. So now we set off on another offseason of pure speculation a hopes of better things to come.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I refuse to be negative today. The team made it out of the first round against a very, very good Anaheim team. We pushed a sleeper Sharks team to 7 games. We traveled three times what any other team traveled during the playoffs with the fewest days of rest.

How about this? Twice these playoffs the guys were down 3-2. They didn't give up. If you can't find a positive in that, I got nothing for you.

How about this? We hosted the best All-Star event of all time. Hands down. The way this city came together to put on a show in a 'non-hockey market' was amazing. If you can't find a positive in that, I got nothing for you.

How about this? Across the city, I have seen more people actively engaged in wanting to know about the Preds than I have ever seen. The Omni displayed our colors. People were asking for hockey to be put on the TV at bars over basketball and the NFL draft. If you can't see the positive in this, I got nothing for you.

I understand last night sucked. I understand the team didn't show up. I understand the anger, frustration and disbelief that they didn't even bother to come prepared for the biggest game in franchise history. Believe me, I felt that last night. You can't, however, let that destroy your feelings about this season. This journey was an amazing one.

This team, this organization and us fans have nothing to be ashamed of this morning.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I get that we are all frustrated (read: ****ing pissed) about how the team lost last night, but personal shots still aren't allowed. If part of your post is directed squarely at a poster, delete it before posting. If your entire comment is directed squarely at a poster, just don't post it at all.

Thanks

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It was a fun ride this year. I enjoyed the game the last part of the year for the first time in a long while. Thanks for the great season boys. See you all in the fall.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I think the extra day of rest was actually a negative for us rather than a positive. Messed with our routine. Lost momentum. Stiffened the body.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I refuse to be negative today. The team made it out of the first round against a very, very good Anaheim team. We pushed a sleeper Sharks team to 7 games. We traveled three times what any other team traveled during the playoffs with the fewest days of rest.

How about this? Twice these playoffs the guys were down 3-2. They didn't give up. If you can't find a positive in that, I got nothing for you.

How about this? We hosted the best All-Star event of all time. Hands down. The way this city came together to put on a show in a 'non-hockey market' was amazing. If you can't find a positive in that, I got nothing for you.

How about this? Across the city, I have seen more people actively engaged in wanting to know about the Preds than I have ever seen. The Omni displayed our colors. People were asking for hockey to be put on the TV at bars over basketball and the NFL draft. If you can't see the positive in this, I got nothing for you.

I understand last night sucked. I understand the team didn't show up. I understand the anger, frustration and disbelief that they didn't even bother to come prepared for the biggest game in franchise history. Believe me, I felt that last night. You can't, however, let that destroy your feelings about this season. This journey was an amazing one.

This team, this organization and us fans have nothing to be ashamed of this morning.

Great post- agree 100%

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Im not saying they didn't have a grueling schedule, but I am saying you can't use that as an excuse, because they obviously weren't so exhausted that they couldn't absolutely dominate game 6.

So if you're trying to say that somehow with two days rest they went from absolutely dominant to so tired that they didn't even show up then Im the one who says "are you *** kidding me?" It doesn't pass the smell test.

Sometimes crap happens, and you can't put an explanation on it. Who knows why we played the way we did last night. You can also ask why San Jose didn't show up in Game 6 or Game 3 when they were totally dominated. For the last 50 minutes in game 6, we dominated them just as much as we were dominated last night. Why? Were they tired that game and not in game 7? Why weren't they mentally ready?

It happens in every sport- look at the Spurs, one of the greatest playoff teams in sports history- they got embarrassed just like we did in the most important game in their season. How do you explain that??? You can't.

This is sports- there is no script- again, sometimes, $#!% happens........

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
So sad to see the season end this way. I think one of the differences in games 6 & 7 was us, the fans. We got off to an equally slow start in Nashville Monday, but the fans willed the team to win. The energy @ Bridgestone was amazing. I think if game 7 was in Nashville we would have gotten over that early DoG penalty and scored. We would have definitely gotten back in the game. Home ice advantage would have been a true advantage for our team. Being able to play 3 on 3 in OT successfully throughout the season might have been the difference. If we won 1/2 of those OTL's we might have caught Chicago and not been a wild card team. We could have had home ice last night.

I wonder if the 'never won a game in San Jose in the playoffs' got in their heads as well.

Glad to see the emotion from Rinne as he left the ice. He wan't dejected, head down in shame, he was pissed. I hope the team lost it's deposit for the locker room* because they left it a bit damaged with multiple sticks not the only things broken.

* of course I know there isn't a deposit like a motel room rented to the band. But I'm trying to imagine that level of frustration in the way we lost rather than a bunch of guys with their heads down in resignation.

I turned off the TV before the hand shakes, could not watch that tradition and kinda wish I woke up to read that there was a brawl instead of handshakes and the largest team fine in NHL history was likely to be handed out to the Preds.

I hope for (EXPECT) better results in the future, am not going to rant and point blame and fire everyone who was less productive than I wanted, I've been there and it never helps and only makes me feel worse for it. That has been a revelation for me this year. I have tended to be a 'glass 1/2 empty guy' knowing I drank the first 1/2 and discovered it was poison. But not today. I feel like I'm in negativity recovery and it is one day at a time. May be a relapse or two but not 'this day'.

I particularly appreciate this thread and the analytical comments found here far more than anywhere else. I appreciate having a place like this to come to be with other fans since I can't be at many games and Pred fans are few and far between in Tri-cities (Johnson City, Kingsport & Bristol).

And especially Steve, thanks for your always reasoned analysis. I was glad to find you here and the Observations thread after having it closed at the old NP boards. I wish you health and a great summer. I'll eventually track you down again and we'll have that beer or 2 I've been promising.

To everyone here and Preds fans everywhere, even those who frustrate me: This is to you, thanks for being on the ride. Have a safe summer.

2ajpeyx.jpg

to who closed the last Observations thread after being ask to keep it open through game 7 to maintain the mojo ... May the Bluebird of Happiness nest in your bippy.

Last edited:

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I have had to move away and give up my season tickets but we made it back for the ASG weekend. So awesome to be back in town. The last game I saw at Bridestone was a 7-2 expiation. I cried. I have watched every second of the post season and started thinking about how to make arrangements to get back to Nash for the semis. God it feels good to have been talking Preds hockey this late in the year.

We may see some changes because of this ending. But it isn't because of this game. We have to build to be stronger in the regular season and more consistent so we seed higher.

We have to decide who our real leaders are. Arguably last night they were Pekka and Arvidsson. Neither ever quit. That is not champion level caliber leadership. I love Arvy, but when he is setting the example there is a problem. Forsberg had a whole season worth of rookie slump happen this series. Weber has to be seriously ill or injured. Josi was not smart. Nobody was physical enough.

Still, this team showed it has resilience if not depth. This experience is one to build upon,

Can't wait to see them live again at some point.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
This team was incredibly lucky to hit a Ducks team that just fell apart costing a good coach his job. They were also lucky that the Sharks did not play 4 games like the game 7 game.

I would be remiss if I did not call out Smith for such a poor performance in the playoffs this year. .

1) So basically we get no credit for anything we did in this playoff run- we just got lucky that the other team screwed up. Is that it??? Got it...:help:

2) And about Smith- if you can't see that he was never anywhere close to 100% starting with game 3 against the Ducks, I don't know what to tell you...Smith was great for us this year.

hoosierpred

Apr 4, 2008
This is tougher for me to take than previous years....

Mostly because this is the first predators team that we've iced that i thought was built to go far in the playoffs. Mostly i'm disappointed because the Sharks showed us a few things that we lack. The Sharks are like us in a way, but with the addition of players like Kariya and Sullivan in their prime (Pavelski and Coutoure). I continue to maintain that the single most important hockey skill is the ability to shoot quickly and accurately, and SJ has it in spades. After watching Burns, i think he's the best defenseman in the NHL (yes, that includes Weber or Josi). It is amazing to me how quick and how hard his shot is with almost no windup and with no defensive or passing deficiencies. That is a skill that I would like to see Weber develop as a change-up to his big shot. Even our most accurate shooters take too long to shoot.

Obviously Forsberg did not have a good series, but i think a back injury makes sense cause he clearly didn't have close to the same jump that he's shown previously.

I was pleased with the effort of Arvy and Solomaki. Aberg didn't make any impression. I think Ribs, Nystrom and Jackman and Goose are probably on the way out. I would consider only Forsberg, Neal, Joey, Josi, and Ekholm as untradable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad