Confirmed with Link: [NYR/VAN] Wyatt Kalynuk for future considerations

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Cleared a roster spot. Maybe so we can sign Mcdonough and Livingstone.

Just off the top of my head
Lekkermaki so he can play in the AHL
Mcdonough
2 college UFAs
maybe 1 international UFA?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Honest reaction to this was who? Honestly had to check that he was under contract with the Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Kalynuk and Lazar were basically 'contract dumps' by the Canucks. Clearing the deck for some NCAA free agent signings I'd guess.

Livingston and McDonough would be 'big time gets' by the Canucks. McDonough is having a career season at Northeastern, and is carrying a team that wasn't projected to do much at the start of the season. A total of 19 goals and 36 points in 31 games.

Canucks should be an attractive destination for NCAA UFA's, particularly d-men. The Canuck blueline is basically wide open after Hughes and Hronek.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think Kalynuk and Lazar were basically 'contract dumps' by the Canucks. Clearing the deck for some NCAA free agent signings I'd guess.

Livingston and McDonough would be 'big time gets' by the Canucks. McDonough is having a career season at Northeastern, and is carrying a team that wasn't projected to do much at the start of the season. A total of 19 goals and 36 points in 31 games.

Canucks should be an attractive destination for NCAA UFA's, particularly d-men. The Canuck blueline is basically wide open after Hughes and Hronek.
They really that close to the 50 contract limit?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
On the right side, there's now Hronek, Bear, and Myers signed for next season (well, Bear's an RFA). I know many expect Myers to be moved after his bonus is paid, but I doubt it, and in any case it can't happen till some time after the NCAA free agents can be signed. Suddenly it might not look to Livingston that there's an obvious spot for him in the top six.

As to wingers such as McDonaugh ...

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They really that close to the 50 contract limit?

They are at 44 now so no, they already had done a good job of removing contracts.

I’m curious when the contract limit resets. Is it July 1st or does it become a soft cap in the off-season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
After scratching my head on this one for a bit, I'm wondering if - given the close working relationship they have with Milstein - Kalynuk asked for a trade when he was passed over for a callup when all of Wolanin/Brisebois/Juulsen recently went to the NHL and he realized he basically had zero chance of seeing NHL games here, and they obliged by shooting him elsewhere.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
After scratching my head on this one for a bit, I'm wondering if - given the close working relationship they have with Milstein - Kalynuk asked for a trade when he was passed over for a callup when all of Wolanin/Brisebois/Juulsen recently went to the NHL and he realized he basically had zero chance of seeing NHL games here, and they obliged by shooting him elsewhere.
That makes sense.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
On the right side, there's now Hronek, Bear, and Myers signed for next season (well, Bear's an RFA). I know many expect Myers to be moved after his bonus is paid, but I doubt it, and in any case it can't happen till some time after the NCAA free agents can be signed. Suddenly it might not look to Livingston that there's an obvious spot for him in the top six.

As to wingers such as McDonaugh ...
I am sure Livingstone's agent is going to understand the Canucks' situation. It's not like he is going in blind or going to capfriendly and taking the roster at face value.

They are at 44 now so no, they already had done a good job of removing contracts.

I’m curious when the contract limit resets. Is it July 1st or does it become a soft cap in the off-season.
I am pretty sure the limit is always in effect, so it doesn't "reset", player contracts just come off the books on July 1st and whoever remains signed counts towards the limit.

Reactions: Hodgy

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
i'm not very high on livingstone. his skating is nowhere near nhl level and he's probably too old to do much meaningful work on it. he reminds me a lot of matt kiersted who is only one year older but has been trying to crack the panthers roster and failing for a couple seasons now

he's still worth a contract because he's got size and who knows maybe that's enough but if i were the canucks i'd be working on signing bear and scouting free agent defenders with some pk ability and bottom pairing potential

Well the good news is that at his age he can only sign a one year ELC that would burn and be over at the end of this season if they set it up that way. Throw him into the lineup and see what he's got, if his skating isn't even close, you pass on the QO and move on no problem.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I am sure Livingstone's agent is going to understand the Canucks' situation. It's not like he is going in blind or going to capfriendly and taking the roster at face value.

I am pretty sure the limit is always in effect, so it doesn't "reset", player contracts just come off the books on July 1st and whoever remains signed counts towards the limit.
How do you think the agent will assess the Canucks' right side depth and the opportunity for Livingstone? Will he assume that Myers will be gone next season and that there will be an opportunity on the third pairing? Will he think that the Canucks won't re-sign Bear?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How do you think the agent will assess the Canucks' right side depth and the opportunity for Livingstone? Will he assume that Myers will be gone next season and that there will be an opportunity on the third pairing? Will he think that the Canucks won't re-sign Bear?
He will assume Myers is one and done at best, potentially moved in the summer. It's not like the insight floated around here is a secret.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No word yet here of the corresponding Hartford Abbotsford trade, where the baby Nucks recouped a similar (right shot) defenseman?

Ah, thanks. No, I hadn't seen that.

So essentially we 'traded' Kalynuk for Zach Giuttari who had been with Hartford on an AHL deal.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Teams can sign ELCs now that don't start until next season. As of March 1st there's the option of ELCs starting this season or next.

July 1st is when the new season of contracts start, but I believe teams can only sign players to contracts for the current season through the end of the playoffs. Though I can't find a source on the actual final day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That makes more sense than the Canucks giving away a solid Abbotsford defenseman for nothing.

Management wanted to point to a trade where they traded for futures :sarcasm:

I am surprised this thread is still getting posts.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
He will assume Myers is one and done at best, potentially moved in the summer. It's not like the insight floated around here is a secret.
The "insight" around here is mainly wishful thinking: someone will take Myers after his bonus is paid. If Myers stays, that's three veterans on the right side next season, at least for a year. That's not quite the opportunity that would have been available if Hronek hadn't been acquired and if Bear had been traded.

One and done for Myers seems likely. Is that the selling point for Livingstone: after only one year, there'll be a spot for you on the bottom pair, unless management acquires another vet for that wild two-year all-in push for cup contention?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The "insight" around here is mainly wishful thinking: someone will take Myers after his bonus is paid. If Myers stays, that's three veterans on the right side next season, at least for a year. That's not quite the opportunity that would have been available if Hronek hadn't been acquired and if Bear had been traded.

One and done for Myers seems likely. Is that the selling point for Livingstone: after only one year, there'll be a spot for you on the bottom pair, unless management acquires another vet for that wild two-year all-in push for cup contention?
That's a great position to find oneself in. Bear does not have some immovable spot in the roster. Myers is toast and Livingstone probably jumps him on the depth chart the day he signs, regardless of how next season goes. The only truly established player Livingstone has to compete with is a recently-acquire Hronek, and you get to sign close to home? Worst case scenario you see some time in Abbotsford - not getting shipped halfway across the country for half the season. If Livingstone is worried about playing opportunity there are far worse choices than Vancouver at this juncture. Very few teams are going to promise him PP1 the day he signs. Even the Sharks - who are notoriously short on dmen prospects - would still have Karlsson or even the newly-acquired Thrun to contend with. Honestly if I were Livingstone I'd be more concerned with how Troy Stecher was treated here.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
That's a great position to find oneself in. Bear does not have some immovable spot in the roster. Myers is toast and Livingstone probably jumps him on the depth chart the day he signs, regardless of how next season goes. The only truly established player Livingstone has to compete with is a recently-acquire Hronek, and you get to sign close to home? Worst case scenario you see some time in Abbotsford - not getting shipped halfway across the country for half the season. If Livingstone is worried about playing opportunity there are far worse choices than Vancouver at this juncture. Very few teams are going to promise him PP1 the day he signs. Even the Sharks - who are notoriously short on dmen prospects - would still have Karlsson or even the newly-acquired Thrun to contend with. Honestly if I were Livingstone I'd be more concerned with how Troy Stecher was treated here.
I don't think Livingstone is going to see it that way. Maybe he'll sign anyway, but if he believes Myers is going to sit in the press box while he plays on the bottom pair, I'd call his thinking optimistic.

Bear has a spot, certainly, unless he gets traded before the draft (and before his new contract, whatever that will be, kicks in). Maybe Livingstone will be counting on Bear getting moved? That'd be rather odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad