Confirmed Trade: [NYR/VAN] Wyatt Kalynuk for future considerations

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I was just looking him up earlier because I thought he had some good looks with Chicago as a rookie and I wasn’t sure where he went from there. Didn’t realize he had been traded to Vancouver.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Wyatt Kalynuk was in Chicago for a period of time, the broadcasters , beat writers all sang the same tune how this kid was going to become a top defensive player.

Yeah that never happened he is at best 7th defenseman but is probably a Ahler for life.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Why? The D in Abbotsford is pretty thin with Brisbois and Wolanin up with the big club.
Seems odd to move out a decent AHLer but maybe this is a favour to the Rangers for Kratzov.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wyatt Kalynuk was in Chicago for a period of time, the broadcasters , beat writers all sang the same tune how this kid was going to become a top defensive player.

Yeah that never happened he is at best 7th defenseman but is probably a Ahler for life.
I saw a couple of those Chicago games, really thought he was going to make it too. He looked good. And then vanished. :(

Reactions: Taylorst

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Are the Canucks looking to sign Truscott and get him some AHL minutes or something?
Abbotsford looks pretty solid this year, surprised they would move on their depth at defense, but maybe also trying to guarantee Rathbone some playing time too?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Kalynuk is a very smooth skater, good lateral movement along the blueline in the offensive zone.
I had high hopes for him 2 seasons back with Chicago but he never seemed to take that next step into becoming an NHL regular.

Disappointing.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Why? The D in Abbotsford is pretty thin with Brisbois and Wolanin up with the big club.
Seems odd to move out a decent AHLer but maybe this is a favour to the Rangers for Kratzov.
Thats illegal though isnt it. You cant just make a trade and then pay the balance of it later with another trade

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Are the Canucks looking to sign Truscott and get him some AHL minutes or something?
Abbotsford looks pretty solid this year, surprised they would move on their depth at defense, but maybe also trying to guarantee Rathbone some playing time too?

truscott is out for the remainder of the year, so no

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Okay. Bye...

I would say this is just housekeeping to free up a contract spot for Vancouver. But they don't exactly need it right now and i believe his deal is done after this year anyway? Unless Vancouver are planning to sign a whole crapload of undrafted free agents or something?

Reactions: egelband

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Thats illegal though isnt it. You cant just make a trade and then pay the balance of it later with another trade
How would the league know even if it was? If it was then it was just a gentleman’s agreement done over the phone over previous negotiations.
Kalynuk is playing in the AHL so trading him for future considerations wouldn’t really raise any eyebrows.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Truscott, maybe Livingstone or Milinski…. Jurmo next year… I don’t think he was in the long term plan

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Sorry not getting your point. What do you think future considerations means?
In past, there was the term "player to be named later"
One thought i had re this, maybe 1, or both, teams wanted to see how TDL week played out, before deciding which 2nd player would come back to NYR to complete trade for Krav

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You can trade a player for nothing at any time. There is no requirement to send something back. Future considerations pretty much means "free" but it could also mean something akin to "last right of refusal on a future deal" or "call me if you need a favour later, and we will oblige"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad