Proposal: Nyr trade with blues (buchy)

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Faulk seems to be slowing down. And it is already 2024. 2027 is only 3 years away, about the time a drafted player will be hitting the AHL.

Granted, we get a prospect that is nhl ready next year….. I am just pointing out a fact that we sometimes conflate team issues now with what could be a team issue in 3 years.

We have:
Loof
Lindstein,
Buchinger
Burns
Fischer

Right side
Kessel
of those 5 lefties, I would guess that only 1 'sticks' in the bigs.. and what about tucker?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
1- Disagree that a D man needs to be the main prospect.
We'll have our 1st and whomever we trade with's 1st to put towards the defense. Combined with Lindstein, that's three really good D prospects. Add a stabilizing vet(Parayko?) and you have your future top 4.
I know we're all worried about the defense right now, but there's a very clear path towards rebuilding the defense without needing to focus on getting an NHL ready D prospect out of a Buchnevich trade. Obviously, it would be better to get a future top 4 D man; but I'm not going to shoot down a trade just on the basis of "needing a D prospect". If the right forward prospect is on the table, I'd be willing to listen.

There are some very specific traits I'd be looking for to be convinced into accepting a forward instead(starting with being a righty shot).

2- Having said that, I fully agree that Othmann doesn't do it for me. Along with Bolduc and Stenberg, he would be a completely redundant prospect. If we're accepting a forward, they need to fill an actual gap in our prospect pool. Either a bonafide Power forward or a high end playmaker(and as I said, being a righty shot would be preferable).

Short of putting Perreault on the table(and I'm absolutely sure they don't want to do that), I'm not sure the Rag's have a prospect that I'd be interested in.
I agree with your overall point about being willing to take back the 'right' forward prospect in a Buch deal and that Othmann isn't that guy.

However, I'm not wild about the logic of penciling in our own 2024 1st and any additional 1st rounder as a D man. This is a D heavy draft, but I don't think you can lock yourself into picking a D and I definitely don't think you can lock yourself into picking 2 D. If we can acquire another 1st rounder, it will almost certainly be a late 1st, so I definitely don't think you can bank on 3 of your future top 4 coming from Lindstein and the 2024 draft. Even if you could, I think a huge benefit of targeting a D prospect in a Buch deal is that the prospect is already 1-3 years into his post-draft development and can start contributing to the team around the time our current prospects are contributing.

Again, I agree about the 'right' forward prospect being worthwhile. But I do think that the focus of a Buch trade should be a 1st and a D prospect unless a team wants to blow us away with something different.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
of those 5 lefties, I would guess that only 1 'sticks' in the bigs.. and what about tucker?

To me, Buchinger could definitely stick in the NHL as a Krug-lite; his offensive potential is massive. Burns and Fischer are too far away to really say anything about, but they've shown promise. And I do love Leo Loof as a prospect; he could be a 6th/7th defenseman. Tucker is another one.

What we're really lacking is an elite defenseman, one who can put our other defensemen down a spot. Maybe Lindstein is that defenseman for the left side, but I agree with Frenzy; we need new blood for the right side if Faulk's slowing down.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Because that "magic bean" is better than anything in the Ranger's system?

Sure, if you can get a guy like Wallinder you take it.
However, the only D prospect NY has in that spectrum is Schneider; and Drury would probably be out the door before the end of the day if he made that kind of trade.

But you don't settle for a guy like Robertson because "we need a D man". You need an "A" level prospect coming back. Yes, a D man is preferrable. But I don't consider it a deal breaker if somebody comes in with a forward instead.

That's not to say that Othmann is an A level prospect, either; but I'm talking about hypothetical scenario's. Let's say Buffalo really did want to enter the fray for Buch and came in with a package centered around Noah Ostlund. I'm not going to shoot that down on the principle of "needing a D man".

The Rag's simply don't have the prospects to make a legit offer for Buch unless they're stupid enough to put Schneider or Perreault on the table.

Good thing there are 30 other teams to trade with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad