Proposal: Nyr trade with blues (buchy)

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Faulk seems to be slowing down. And it is already 2024. 2027 is only 3 years away, about the time a drafted player will be hitting the AHL.

Granted, we get a prospect that is nhl ready next year….. I am just pointing out a fact that we sometimes conflate team issues now with what could be a team issue in 3 years.

We have:
Loof
Lindstein,
Buchinger
Burns
Fischer

Right side
Kessel
of those 5 lefties, I would guess that only 1 'sticks' in the bigs.. and what about tucker?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
1- Disagree that a D man needs to be the main prospect.
We'll have our 1st and whomever we trade with's 1st to put towards the defense. Combined with Lindstein, that's three really good D prospects. Add a stabilizing vet(Parayko?) and you have your future top 4.
I know we're all worried about the defense right now, but there's a very clear path towards rebuilding the defense without needing to focus on getting an NHL ready D prospect out of a Buchnevich trade. Obviously, it would be better to get a future top 4 D man; but I'm not going to shoot down a trade just on the basis of "needing a D prospect". If the right forward prospect is on the table, I'd be willing to listen.

There are some very specific traits I'd be looking for to be convinced into accepting a forward instead(starting with being a righty shot).

2- Having said that, I fully agree that Othmann doesn't do it for me. Along with Bolduc and Stenberg, he would be a completely redundant prospect. If we're accepting a forward, they need to fill an actual gap in our prospect pool. Either a bonafide Power forward or a high end playmaker(and as I said, being a righty shot would be preferable).

Short of putting Perreault on the table(and I'm absolutely sure they don't want to do that), I'm not sure the Rag's have a prospect that I'd be interested in.
I agree with your overall point about being willing to take back the 'right' forward prospect in a Buch deal and that Othmann isn't that guy.

However, I'm not wild about the logic of penciling in our own 2024 1st and any additional 1st rounder as a D man. This is a D heavy draft, but I don't think you can lock yourself into picking a D and I definitely don't think you can lock yourself into picking 2 D. If we can acquire another 1st rounder, it will almost certainly be a late 1st, so I definitely don't think you can bank on 3 of your future top 4 coming from Lindstein and the 2024 draft. Even if you could, I think a huge benefit of targeting a D prospect in a Buch deal is that the prospect is already 1-3 years into his post-draft development and can start contributing to the team around the time our current prospects are contributing.

Again, I agree about the 'right' forward prospect being worthwhile. But I do think that the focus of a Buch trade should be a 1st and a D prospect unless a team wants to blow us away with something different.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
of those 5 lefties, I would guess that only 1 'sticks' in the bigs.. and what about tucker?

To me, Buchinger could definitely stick in the NHL as a Krug-lite; his offensive potential is massive. Burns and Fischer are too far away to really say anything about, but they've shown promise. And I do love Leo Loof as a prospect; he could be a 6th/7th defenseman. Tucker is another one.

What we're really lacking is an elite defenseman, one who can put our other defensemen down a spot. Maybe Lindstein is that defenseman for the left side, but I agree with Frenzy; we need new blood for the right side if Faulk's slowing down.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Because that "magic bean" is better than anything in the Ranger's system?

Sure, if you can get a guy like Wallinder you take it.
However, the only D prospect NY has in that spectrum is Schneider; and Drury would probably be out the door before the end of the day if he made that kind of trade.

But you don't settle for a guy like Robertson because "we need a D man". You need an "A" level prospect coming back. Yes, a D man is preferrable. But I don't consider it a deal breaker if somebody comes in with a forward instead.

That's not to say that Othmann is an A level prospect, either; but I'm talking about hypothetical scenario's. Let's say Buffalo really did want to enter the fray for Buch and came in with a package centered around Noah Ostlund. I'm not going to shoot that down on the principle of "needing a D man".

The Rag's simply don't have the prospects to make a legit offer for Buch unless they're stupid enough to put Schneider or Perreault on the table.

Good thing there are 30 other teams to trade with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00