Proposal: NYR to ????

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You're lost. Georgiev is a young, future starter goalie. That in itself is a lot. Hajek has not been brutal. Total lie. He was playing fine before he got hurt. Rykov is pretty talented. Hertl is coming off a severe knee injury. He's nowhere near close to the 75 point player he was. If you look at his season this year before he went down he was average at best. His career high before his 75 point season was 46 points over 5 seasons. He was on average for 61 points this year while being a -31. Problem with fans like yourself is you look at 6 years of a players career and take his highest point total season and think he's now that kind of player. Hertl has been basically and even +/- player over his career. Strome has been a plus player over his career. You make it seem like he's garbage. The only reason I would give up that which I deem overpayment for a guy that has been pretty much a 46 point player is because of his faceoff ability. Do I think he can be a 60+ guy with Panarin. Yep. Do I think he'll rot on the Sharks and do nothing going forward. Yep. The Sharks have 2 goalies who are 30 and their team is going nowhere. They have an old, defense with terrible contracts. They need to find someway to move at least 2 to 3 bad contracts even if it means eating half of them.

Hertl isn't close to being a great player and comparing him to Zibanejad is insulting. He's not half the player Zibanejad is. When you watch Zibanejad play now you see a guy that is clearly one of the top 2 to 4 players on the ice every game when looking at both teams playing. You never see that with Hertl. He would be a better compliment to Panarin than Strome. Agree. However, if you think getting a young, starting goalie and two talented, left handed defenseman with Strome is not enough, you are lost. Hertl's value will only drop like a rock on that team. Plus, if he comes back from this injury much like Hall did and his game is substantially less, you won't get jack for him.
1) I'm a NYR fan. 2) I said the year prior he had a similar season to Zibanejad. 3)Learn to read.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Probably a moot point as it's sensitive to move a team legend, but hypothetically speaking, what sort of assets would Rangers need to give up to move Lundkvist's $8.5m cap hit (base salary in 2020-21 is $4.45m plus $1m bonus)?

If they can find a team willing the third-wheel it and retain some of that capspace I could see it working. Say, $3m of that cap for a 2nd and 4th. Lundkvist at $5.5m cap for 1 year would then be a lot easier to move, than if he still had an $8.5m caphit.

Alternatively, someone like Ottawa who wants to reach the cap floor would probably love that low-cash high-AAV contract, especially if another team (or Rangers themselves) retain on actual dollars. Note that Ottawa doesn't have a starting goalie signed next season onwards.

The logic of this from the Rangers perspective is that they would clear the way for Shesterkin and Georgiev, and open up a huge amount of cap room to go fishing via trade or free agency, in what should very much be a buyers market.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Probably a moot point as it's sensitive to move a team legend, but hypothetically speaking, what sort of assets would Rangers need to give up to move Lundkvist's $8.5m cap hit (base salary in 2020-21 is $4.45m plus $1m bonus)?
i love Hank but am firmly in the keep Georgie camp
NYR could retain to reduce the transferred Cap Hit, without a 3rd team

but i am leery whether Hank would ok going to EO with his family, who have always been East Coast or Sweden.
Not knocking Edmonton, the team is trending up, seems it just needs to beef up the middle tier depth skaters (again not a knock, 2/3 of the NHL's almost contenders have same challenge).

My recent wondering has been whether, at half cap,
he'd be interesting to (and interested in joining) Flyers,
reuniting w AV, not far from NYC, family could stay put.
PF have no vet Gs signed behind Hart for next season;
and Giroux/Voracek/JVR are all in their early-30's 'late' prime

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The Rangers look like they have taken a step forward before the stoppage happened. They are set in goal, have solid depth with talented players in NHL and prospects on D and F. Where they are lacking is a true #2.

What Center can the Rangers get if they offer:

Both 1st round picks this year and Georgiev?
Wennberg could be a borderline 2C you don’t need to give that much thiugh

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Horvat and Myers

for

Fox, Strome, NYR 2020 1st

Yes, you don't want to give up Fox, We don't want to give up Horvat, Horvat is > than Fox at this point.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Horvat and Myers

for

Yes, you don't want to give up Fox, We don't want to give up Horvat, Horvat is > than Fox at this point.

Horvat is a very nice player but no thanks from Rangers perspective. Fox could be considered our best dman already (or at very least equal to Trouba/ADA). He got better as the season went on (defensively) and was terrific offensively pretty much all season. I'm not Strome's biggest fan but really no need for Myers (and his money) on the Rangers. Money/Cap wise this deal would hurt the Rangers more. Fox and the first rounder would be cost controlled assets for now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

If they can find a team willing the third-wheel it and retain some of that capspace I could see it working. Say, $3m of that cap for a 2nd and 4th. Lundkvist at $5.5m cap for 1 year would then be a lot easier to move, than if he still had an $8.5m caphit.

Alternatively, someone like Ottawa who wants to reach the cap floor would probably love that low-cash high-AAV contract, especially if another team (or Rangers themselves) retain on actual dollars. Note that Ottawa doesn't have a starting goalie signed next season onwards.

The logic of this from the Rangers perspective is that they would clear the way for Shesterkin and Georgiev, and open up a huge amount of cap room to go fishing via trade or free agency, in what should very much be a buyers market.

Hank is a special situation
if he wanted out, we'd oblige
He doesn't
and unfortunately, he has full NMC

we need to move Geo, but only at a decent + price.
that makes room for Huska + others.
We have a guy we picked relatively high and I don't think he's been signed yet, Lindbom or something like that.

Hank we expect is not gonna embarrass anyone.
If he completely loses it overnight, he's made enuf $, he'll gracefully make an excuse to retire and we won't give him a hard time

To extent he wants to add to his career achievements, if he thinks he might get more starts and better chances elsewhere, that is outside possible. But I think all things considered he prefers to stay here.

That works for upcoming season even if he has reduced starts for NY.
Outside chance he goes at late TDL to a contender in need.

Not impossible Geo dealt, Shesty starts, Huska gets foot in the door and he signs after next season w/us for league min. just to pad his totals and hang out.

More likely, he retires after next season

If we were gonna do a cap dump, IMO the preferred candidates would be Staal [also full NMC] or Smith.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Horvat and Myers

for

Rangers couldn’t afford that, I reckon. Cap is already pretty tight.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You're lost. Georgiev is a young, future starter goalie. That in itself is a lot. Hajek has not been brutal. Total lie. He was playing fine before he got hurt. Rykov is pretty talented. Hertl is coming off a severe knee injury. He's nowhere near close to the 75 point player he was. If you look at his season this year before he went down he was average at best. His career high before his 75 point season was 46 points over 5 seasons. He was on average for 61 points this year while being a -31. Problem with fans like yourself is you look at 6 years of a players career and take his highest point total season and think he's now that kind of player. Hertl has been basically and even +/- player over his career. Strome has been a plus player over his career. You make it seem like he's garbage. The only reason I would give up that which I deem overpayment for a guy that has been pretty much a 46 point player is because of his faceoff ability. Do I think he can be a 60+ guy with Panarin. Yep. Do I think he'll rot on the Sharks and do nothing going forward. Yep. The Sharks have 2 goalies who are 30 and their team is going nowhere. They have an old, defense with terrible contracts. They need to find someway to move at least 2 to 3 bad contracts even if it means eating half of them.

Hertl isn't close to being a great player and comparing him to Zibanejad is insulting. He's not half the player Zibanejad is. When you watch Zibanejad play now you see a guy that is clearly one of the top 2 to 4 players on the ice every game when looking at both teams playing. You never see that with Hertl. He would be a better compliment to Panarin than Strome. Agree. However, if you think getting a young, starting goalie and two talented, left handed defenseman with Strome is not enough, you are lost. Hertl's value will only drop like a rock on that team. Plus, if he comes back from this injury much like Hall did and his game is substantially less, you won't get jack for him.
My opinion isn't as good as yours, so I leave it at that:
As usual, people here over value their players way too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad