Proposal: NYR to ????

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
The Rangers look like they have taken a step forward before the stoppage happened. They are set in goal, have solid depth with talented players in NHL and prospects on D and F. Where they are lacking is a true #2.

What Center can the Rangers get if they offer:

Both 1st round picks this year and Georgiev?

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
The Rangers look like they have taken a step forward before the stoppage happened. They are set in goal, have solid depth with talented players in NHL and prospects on D and F. Where they are lacking is a true #2.

Noone. Its a strong draft loaded with centers

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We aren't offering that for a center. The cap will be tight enough without adding Larkin's 6.1 mil, or whoever else might be the target. And who knows where the cap will actually end up next year, what tools teams will be given to deal with it, and how the draft will be handled/where those picks will end up. Way too much uncertainty right now to consider anything like this.

If the Rangers are going to trade for a center, the obvious trade chip is DeAngelo. He's due a raise, so any money coming back should be a wash, more or less. Highly valued, so we could do a 1 for 1 swap with minor adds on either side. And we have plenty of depth at RHD, so we can afford to move him to upgrade at center.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

For that offer, you can probably get Stepan back.

Reactions: Morrison

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

We're not offering both 1st round picks and Georgiev for a center. With that package, the kind of center you go after to grow with a young team, is the kind of center teams aren't trading.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
We're not offering both 1st round picks and Georgiev for a center. With that package, the kind of center you go after to grow with a young team, is the kind of center teams aren't trading.
Agreed. My initial reaction to the proposal is the player you'd get back would be either 1)not that good 2)have a big cap hit 3)Be on the downside of this career 4) all three.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If Strome takes a reasonable contract continue to run him next to Panarin. Until that proves to “no longer work” it’s fine. Zibanejad is the other top six center. Chytil can develop to take Strome’s place, and if that also doesn’t work we can address a center when the need arises. We took a big step but next year isn’t the year to be all in. We still need to see steps from Kappo, Chytil, Kravstov, Gauthier and shore up the left side of the defense, whether that’s through internal promotions or otherwise (I think we will inevitably need to add a top 4 caliber lefty, and that it’s more pressing than acquiring a center). Let the chips fall where they are for now. Chytil and Strome both have a chance to pan out as our #2C behind Mika. Ideally do you want a better overall player than Strome as your 2C? Sure, but for now, as long as he has this chemistry with Panarin, there’s no reason to go shopping. This can be assessed later on.

Reactions: HabsQC and bl02

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As already noted can't take a hit on cap moving 2 futures and a low cost G, assuming that got the job done and was all it cost, which is not a given.

I see Kravtsov as a good candidate for 1C IF IF IF he is breaking in on a top line w/Panarin and Kakko. Krav has excellent vision and passing skills, KK is a bull who can drive things [all the more so with experience] and Breadman is a first rate elite finisher. Chemistry is a fragile thing and it could still not click, but on paper, as explained, it does.

Chytil has turned the corner and will be better, esp if his Ws are steady and improved. The changing of lines is a prob

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If this is as good a draft as many are projecting Gorton keeps those two picks. Unless you're moving up into the top 6/8 (which rarely happens anymore).
2015 was a great draft and teams with two picks did pretty darn well. Look at the Islanders. Barzal and Beauvillier. The Jets with Connor and Roslovic. The Flyers Provorov and Konecny. And most of those picks were mid first and lower.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Keep our picks and draft a center, stay with the rebuild course.

Agreed. My initial reaction to the proposal is the player you'd get back would be either 1)not that good 2)have a big cap hit 3)Be on the downside of this career 4) all three.

Gorton isn't trading both 1st round picks unless its to move up. He's sticking with the plan.

Wrong idea at wrong time.
NYR need to get past another year:
- they are not true contenders yet,
- need the 4 expiring big Cap Hits expire (or go away), and
- the expansion draft to pass.
And have another year of evaluating the very young pro prospects.

Beginning July 2021, their needs will be clearer,
they will be closer to contending, and can attack their key roster holes, perhaps still #2C or LD.
But Chytil may become #2C,
with useful depth behind coming from the pipeline: Howden ,Richards, Khodorenko, Andersson, Barron ...
Same on the LD, with Reunanen, Rykov, Hajek, Miller and Roberston all considered strong prospects

STAY THE COURSE for another year

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wrong idea at wrong time.
NYR need to get past another year:
- they are not true contenders yet,
- need the 4 expiring big Cap Hits expire (or go away), and
- the expansion draft to pass.
And have another year of evaluating the very young pro prospects.

Beginning July 2021, their needs will be clearer,
they will be closer to contending, and can attack their key roster holes, perhaps still #2C or LD.
But Chytil may become #2C,
with useful depth behind coming from the pipeline: Howden ,Richards, Khodorenko, Andersson, Barron ...
Same on the LD, with Reunanen, Rykov, Hajek, Miller and Roberston all considered strong prospects

STAY THE COURSE for another year
So it's the wrong idea and at the wrong time? But somehow in a year it would be the right idea?

We don't need another late first that will take 3-4 years. We need a young player close to making the team. If an opportunity came to acquire a player blocked by another teams organizational depth, we should consider the idea. Trading down makes less sense. There might be less of an opportunity to acquire a 2c, or a young player down the road. Teams will lose somebody to the expansion draft and need a player to step in. We have an extra 1st this year and if we look into the future, there's not a lot of players who will be on the block for another 1st after the expansion draft.

I don't want Howden in my the 9. Unless Andersson does something, I'm not sold on him being a top 9 center, either.

I'm not suggesting we go and trade our first round picks to whoever offers us a young roster player. I'm saying if we part with a 1st, that's what I want coming back. A player ready to step in

The course changes year to year. The course is based on what your team needs to get to the next level, and currently our team need isn't a 3-4 year project player.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So it's the wrong idea and at the wrong time? But somehow in a year it would be the right idea?....

like a poster noted, the guys you'd get may be untapped potential, under performers, or late career.

Maybe an example would help -
who is kinda typical of what you want back? Bo Horvat? Sean Monahan? Sam Bennett? Colin White? Trochek?

look, i just don't see any urgency,
a very similar range of comparable guys should be similarly available next off-season

and for full disclosure, i am one firmly in the camp of Don't Trade Georgie
i love Hank, but all eyes need to be on the next multiyear contention window

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
like a poster noted, the guys you'd get may be untapped potential, under performers, or late career.

Maybe an example would help -
who is kinda typical of what you want back? Bo Horvat? Sean Monahan? Sam Bennett? Colin White? Trochek?

look, i just don't see any urgency,
a very similar range of comparable guys should be similarly available next off-season

and for full disclosure, i am one firmly in the camp of Don't Trade Georgie
i love Hank, but all eyes need to be on the next multiyear contention window

I think we're saying somewhat the same thing. So let me clear a little miscommunication up.

1) I'm not giving up the entire package of 2 1st and Georgiev in 1 deal, because the players we'd be targeting won't be available. We're not getting a player like Bo Horvat. We should have realistic expectations. I'm not itching to part with any of that package unless the right piece is made available

2) I'm saying if we're giving up a 1st at all, I want a young player coming back who can step in. I'm not downgrading it for more future assets, years away. I'm not trading it for an older player to fill the position for a few years. I have no problem parting with our 2nd first round pick. I think we stocked enough assets that are years away, we'd be better off getting a prospect who's ready to step in than using that second first round pick.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think we're saying somewhat the same thing

OK cool, re the huge package, i was referring back to OP

sometimes you don't even have to pay too much, if the right match arises
(Brass for Mika, Spooner for RStrome, Keane for Gauthier)

such as, drafted within a few spots of Hajek, were guys like Jordan Kyrou and Sam Steel

i do worry about paying good assets for a Seattle vulnerable player,
but as i regularly remind myself and others, you can only lose 1 player,
even if you expose a handful of young talent, such as Hajek, Howden, Lias and Gauthier
(and Seattle may always use their NYR pick on higher Cap guy, such as RStrome, they will have minimums to meet)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We should be open minded for every opportunity, but that said, while I may disagree with one item here or there, I am with the majority here. We are recognizing it is not likely a vet of enough stature becomes available, and if he does in addition to the usual cap mgmt realities is the current elephant in the room of the exp draft.

That said, there is one VERY OUTSIDE possible fit.
Barkov has 2 yrs at reasonable 5.9 for FL.
If I were them, I would make every effort to build around him, and try NOT to trade.
I would go hard now for 10.5 x6 min to keep him, and make other deals to make that happen.

However,
FL may find it is unable to keep him for any of multiple reasons, including he may simply just want out.
IF IF IF things went there, then the ? is whether they hold Barkov for duration he is under contract and enjoy his production, or do they get more from a trade partner for that extra years of production by dealing him sooner than later.

IF IF IF the inside straight is drawn, the haul for Barkov would be massive, tempered only by that there would only be a given he has the time left on his contract and no further term [unless FL gives permission and a deal can be struck before and executed immediately upon his going to a new club].

There is a precedent of the Lindros trade -- a significant young asset, 2 picks, $$$ and other players.

Sending actual cash is now verboten, but we can help with getting creative with a bad contract, MAYBE 2.

We can mirror Lindros by sending Deangelo as the core young asset, plus 2 firsts, plus some others like Buchnevich, Strome, Howden and Hajek. That is comparable to the number of assets in the Lindros deal.

As I have predicted in the past, directly or indirectly, as the cap system has gotten more pervasive with less ability to dodge/work around it, trades will be more comprehensive and have more players. This is because the fewer assets [esp salary players], the more difficult it is to get balance. Balance is not the objective of the GMs involved, but if balance is too far out of wack, then no deal gets done. As I said, it could be one huge deal, or a large one with one or more smaller deals following [precedent, McDonagh, then JT Miller, both w/TB].

So while it is not always true that 'where there's a will there's a way', I'm sure that if NYR - FL resolve to do such a deal, it gets done.

But Barkov off top of my head is about it.

Reactions: egelband and cwede

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
We should be open minded for every opportunity, but that said, while I may disagree with one item here or there, I am with the majority here. We are recognizing it is not likely a vet of enough stature becomes available, and if he does in addition to the usual cap mgmt realities is the current elephant in the room of the exp draft.

If I were them, I would make every effort to build around him, and try NOT to trade.
I would go hard now for 10.5 x6 min to keep him, and make other deals to make that happen.

However,
FL may find it is unable to keep him for any of multiple reasons, including he may simply just want out.
IF IF IF things went there, then the ? is whether they hold Barkov for duration he is under contract and enjoy his production, or do they get more from a trade partner for that extra years of production by dealing him sooner than later.

IF IF IF the inside straight is drawn, the haul for Barkov would be massive, tempered only by that there would only be a given he has the time left on his contract and no further term [unless FL gives permission and a deal can be struck before and executed immediately upon his going to a new club].

There is a precedent of the Lindros trade -- a significant young asset, 2 picks, $$$ and other players.

Sending actual cash is now verboten, but we can help with getting creative with a bad contract, MAYBE 2.

We can mirror Lindros by sending Deangelo as the core young asset, plus 2 firsts, plus some others like Buchnevich, Strome, Howden and Hajek. That is comparable to the number of assets in the Lindros deal.

As I have predicted in the past, directly or indirectly, as the cap system has gotten more pervasive with less ability to dodge/work around it, trades will be more comprehensive and have more players. This is because the fewer assets [esp salary players], the more difficult it is to get balance. Balance is not the objective of the GMs involved, but if balance is too far out of wack, then no deal gets done. As I said, it could be one huge deal, or a large one with one or more smaller deals following [precedent, McDonagh, then JT Miller, both w/TB].

So while it is not always true that 'where there's a will there's a way', I'm sure that if NYR - FL resolve to do such a deal, it gets done.

LOL. All that needs to be said.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

They're not allowed to offer him an extended contract until July 1st 2021.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
I just got finished watching the wjc outdoor game. In my opinion since Gorton has took it over. Are drafting has got better . Which was something and that sather wasn't good at it was good at trading or first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad