Dreger: NYR to buy out Tony DeAngelo in the Summer.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Holy shit guys. We're not in court here. Some use of common sense is allowed. If there are 7 thousand signs pointing towards someone being an asshole, chances are he's probably an asshole.

I feel like some of you are just being ignorant for the sake of it. You think an NHL team is actually gonna get rid of an offensively gifted RHD like DeAngelo because of his political views? In a league dominated by rich white men who are very likely to agree with his politics? How clueless can one be. :laugh:

This guy has had two full seasons in the NHL. He's now getting sacked by the 3rd team in his career, none of them being because of what kind of player he is.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What evidence is there that it has nothing to do with politics? Nobody has said really anything of the why here. And your gratuitous use of the term snowflake is going to come off as you being one because you can't handle other people's speculations.

He challenged a fan on twitter to meet him outside MSG for a fight. They weren't fighting about politics.

He was benched by Quinn for game 2 of the season because he took a penalty, then mouthed off to the referee and got another penalty. I'm pretty certain he wasn't talking to the ref around politics.

It was reported that he didn't take the benching well and couldn't get over it, and the team gave him an ultimatum: No more problems or we're waiving you.

He started a fight with his teammate after a game. The fight wasn't about politics. Management stuck to their word and waived him.

Was politics part of it? Sure, but only in that he kept bringing it into the locker room. The problem wasn't what he believes. The problem was his inability to understand that there are times and places for such things and the locker room isn't one of them.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
He challenged a fan on twitter to meet him outside MSG for a fight. They weren't fighting about politics.

He was benched by Quinn for game 2 of the season because he took a penalty, then mouthed off to the referee and got another penalty. I'm pretty certain he wasn't talking to the ref around politics.

It was reported that he didn't take the benching well and couldn't get over it, and the team gave him an ultimatum: No more problems or we're waiving you.

He started a fight with his teammate after a game. The fight wasn't about politics. Management stuck to their word and waived him.

Was politics part of it? Sure, but only in that he kept bringing it into the locker room. The problem wasn't what he believes. The problem was his inability to understand that there are times and places for such things and the locker room isn't one of them.
Thank you, best answer yet. I for one won’t be able to sleep until I figure out the enigma that is Tony D

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Couple that with him playing like shit and voila....no job

He was one of the leading scorers among defensemen last season.

It's also funny how you call people snowflakes who whine about oppression. You've been utterly political in your comments. Nearly a day later they are still there. Meanwhile, others who defend DeAngelo against the oppression can't even mention politics without getting in trouble for saying what they do. Yes, there is oppression. The whole arena is polluted in it. There is no clearer example than your comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Holy shit guys. We're not in court here. Some use of common sense is allowed. If there are 7 thousand signs pointing towards someone being an asshole, chances are he's probably an asshole.

I feel like some of you are just being ignorant for the sake of it. You think an NHL team is actually gonna get rid of an offensively gifted RHD like DeAngelo because of his political views? In a league dominated by rich white men who are very likely to agree with his politics? How clueless can one be. :laugh:

This guy has had two full seasons in the NHL. He's now getting sacked by the 3rd team in his career, none of them being because of what kind of player he is.

Whoa whoa whoa! You expect people to be responsible for their actions? What are you, a commie? :sarcasm:

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Free Tony! Could see the Islanders signing him after he's bought out and taking them to the next level, winning multiple Cups as the Rangers continue to languish in the depths of despair. Would be poetic justice and well deserved for everyone involved.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
Guys an NHL player. Idiots need to stop worshipping athletes. Idolize your family and friends, their likely better people anyhow.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
So many teams? only 1 team is getting rid of him, other 2 used him as a trade. Your argument is very very weak.
How many valuable young talented RD get traded at all let alone so frequently so quickly? In a league in which almost every team is looking for one?

“Rid” means you have one less of him

I don’t think he was outright hated, driven out, but maybe non of his teams were rushing to make him captain. He had been punished by his own team before for abusing teammates far back as junior

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

no he got a penalty late in the 1st game when Rangers were down like 0-4, mouthed off the ref and got an extra penalty, the Quinn benched him for the rest of the game and 2 next games. Quinn probably just needed any excuse at that point to punish DeAngelo. Obviously this did not sit well with DeAngelo.

From what I understood: Deangelo did not start a fight with teammates, he made a sarcastic remark to Georgiev after the game where Georgiev was letting in pretty much everything and DeAngelo was on the ice for like 4 goals against so he knew Quinn would likely make him the scapegoat and sit him next game so he was pissed. Georgiev was pissed and punched DeAngelo. DeAngelo did not punch back, but grabbed Georgiev and Trouba separated them. There was no punch from Kreider.

Then GM Gorton had to stick to his dumb words and waive DeAngelo, but not before somebody leaked some false ugly story to some a-hole writer. Waivers came right away and most other GMs did not have sufficient time to figure out what was true what was false and most teams couldn't even fit him under their cap space.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Meanwhile, others who defend DeAngelo against the oppression can't even mention politics without getting in trouble for saying what they do. Yes, there is oppression.
Yeah, poor Tony has made millions of dollars playing a game for a living and has potentially pissed away millions more by because he can’t quit being a dick to his teammates. I gotta say I feel for the guy. He is truly being held down by “THE MAN”.

Reactions: cavs and Jeremy2020

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

No, they were. That entire incident started over a political issue. I know the fan and I watched the entire thread unfold.

With that said, Tony handled it terribly and this is where we’re at now.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
No, they were. That entire incident started over a political issue. I know the fan and I watched the entire thread unfold.

With that said, Tony handled it terribly and this is where we’re at now.

Do you have approximate date of this? Was the fan a Rangers Fan? Why would a Rangers fan be trolling a Ranger player/asset?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Do you have approximate date of this? Was the fan a Rangers Fan? Why would a Rangers fan be trolling a Ranger player/asset?

The Ranger fan didn’t care for Tony because of his views and what was said years ago in Sarnia.

There’s a sect of fans, NYR and other NHL fans who would just continuously go after him no matter what he posted.

That’s why he should have used the block button.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The Ranger fan didn’t care for Tony because of his views and what was said years ago in Sarnia.

There’s a sect of fans, NYR and other NHL fans who would just continuously go after him no matter what he posted.

That’s why he should have used the block button.

thanks, when was this issue where ADA wanted to fight the fan after the game?

what was said in Sarnia? What is motivating this anti DeAngelo cult?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Don't mind TDA or his abrasive personality.

He brought all of this on himself.

Grow up, shut up and play hockey.

Retire and write a book or some shit.

He threw away potentially over 50 million in potential career earnings.

Had he kept his trap shut and kept putting up numbers, he'd get hella paid.

This is all on him.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011

Should've never been benched. Is Tony an asshole? Maybe. But you know who's a bigger asshole? Quinn.

You don't f***ing bench a guy who just put up 50+ points as a defenseman the season prior in a SHORTENED SEASON for a few bad shifts. He's earned the right at that point to work through whatever on ice issues are effecting his game. He was definitely playing poorly at the beginning of the year. So was half the team. I didn't see Quinn benching Zibanejad or Strome who were both playing like hot ass to start the year.

Listen, I'm not in the locker room. Maybe he told Quinn to f*** himself before the benching. From what is visible to my eyes as a fan, it was a boneheaded power-trip "everybody has to earn their minutes" move by Quinn and Tony subsequently handled it poorly. If I put up 50+ points the year prior and found myself benched/scratched in the first 5 games of an unparalleled COVID year I would've told the coach to go f*** himself too, and I'd be 100% justified in doing so. It's bush league, it's trash, whatever else you want to call it, coaching

Reactions: HBK27 and EpiPen

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Should've never been benched. Is Tony an asshole? Maybe. But you know who's a bigger asshole? Quinn.

You don't f***ing bench a guy who just put up 50+ points as a defenseman the season prior in a SHORTENED SEASON for a few bad shifts. He's earned the right at that point to work through whatever on ice issues are effecting his game. He was definitely playing poorly at the beginning of the year. So was half the team. I didn't see Quinn benching Zibanejad or Strome who were both playing like hot ass to start the year.

Listen, I'm not in the locker room. Maybe he told Quinn to f*** himself before the benching. From what is visible to my eyes as a fan, it was a boneheaded power-trip "everybody has to earn their minutes" move by Quinn and Tony subsequently handled it poorly. If I put up 50+ points the year prior and found myself benched/scratched in the first 5 games of an unparalleled COVID year I would've told the coach to go f*** himself too, and I'd be 100% justified in doing so. It's bush league, it's trash, whatever else you want to call it, coaching

He wasn't benched for bad shifts. He was benched because he fought with his goalie to a point where Kreider laid him the f*** out. It has nothing to do with his hockey skill and everything to do with his "I'm a complete and total asshole" why the Rangers aren't playing him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

It's not cause he told the coach to f*** himself. It's that he threw hands at the goalie after an OT game ostensibly for Georgiev "blowing a save" in Tony's mind.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He wasn't benched for bad shifts. He was benched because he fought with his goalie to a point where Kreider laid him the f*** out. It has nothing to do with his hockey skill and everything to do with his "I'm a complete and total asshole" why the Rangers aren't playing him.

wrong, you scrambled all the facts.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Exactly! Well said.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

With all due respect, you don’t know what you are saying. This was a benching that happened before the incident with Georgiyev. You shouldn’t be expected to know that because you aren’t a Rangers fan, but you also don’t know what you are saying in responding to what you quoted.

And there’s no evidence anywhere that Kreider laid him out. This is up there with the other DeAngelo conspiracy theories, such as DeAngelo was racist in the OHL, DeAngelo hazed his only black teammate on the Rangers, and DeAngelo was using a burner account on Twitter.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The benching happened before the goalie thing.

And you have your facts wrong about Kreider being involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad