Confirmed Trade: [NYR/TBL] Ryan McDonagh & JT Miller for 2018 1st, 2018 2nd (Cond), Namestnikov, Howden & Hajek

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Honestly that won't be enough. Isn't the ultimate goal of any and every GM to win the Cup? Yes, there's a number of priorities that they have, including building for your future and keeping the team competitive for as long as possible. But the ultimate goal is to win it all, right?

Tampa's window is right now, not 2 years from now, not 5 years from now...it's wide open right now. So, while I understand the reluctance of the fans to part with valuable young talent that SY has worked so hard to get, I don't think he's going to prioritize them over a piece that will give them the maximum return right now....aka the Cup.

Not saying that they should be throwing every prospect that they have at the Rangers...but realistically it's going to cost more than a potential second line winger and two draft picks.

If we’re going to be throwing multiple top prospects around we should be doing it to get somebody who will solidify our top four for the next several years, thus improving our team now AND five years from now. That’s the Yzerman way. If it’s a short term fix we’re after we can get somebody much cheaper than McDonagh who can patch the hole and give us time to develop or trade for a more permanent solution. If we blow our wad on McDonagh and don’t resign him then once we do acquire a long term replacement our farm system will be depleted and we’ll be in cap hell with no way out.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
This dude still as good as he once was? Fans on Twitter are crushing this guy. Saying he's soft, hasn't won a battle on the boards in years, worn down, etc.

I don't watch many Rags games anymore so I can't say...

He did not look that good vs the Bruins

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
As good as McDonaugh is, I think it would be a waste of assets for the Lightning to acquire him. The bolts are set on top 4 LHD with Hedman and Sergachev. So unless McDonaugh is good on the right side, seems like they could use someone else (Barrie, Green)
McDonagh can play RD. IIRC he did this in the Olympics and he didn't miss a beat.

Depth is also great. Having Sergachev on the 3rd pairing and on the PP where he gets easier match-ups, that'd would be too much skill and depth for the opponents to handle.

McDonagh is an legit minute-eating #1 D. Elite D, great skating and awesome as a 2-way D-man. The only thing that he isn't great at is on the powerplay, but Tampa has got more than enough firepower in front so they can live with that.

Reactions: belford222

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
One thing Yzerman has shown us is that he’s willing to be patient and wait for a deal he likes; if he doesn’t see one he’s perfectly happy to stand pat. So while he may indeed be in talks regarding McDonagh that doesn’t mean he’ll pull the trigger. As a GM of a team that could use a defensive upgrade he would be negligent if he didn’t examine all the options available to him. Ultimately if we do get McDonagh I’m confident it will be for a good price - while some of his free agent signings have been questionable it’s hard to see much fault with his track record in trades.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
As good as McDonaugh is, I think it would be a waste of assets for the Lightning to acquire him. The bolts are set on top 4 LHD with Hedman and Sergachev. So unless McDonaugh is good on the right side, seems like they could use someone else (Barrie, Green)
He played the right side in the Olympics on the top pair alongside Suter and has played there before for the Rangers when necessary.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
If we’re going to be throwing multiple top prospects around we should be doing it to get somebody who will solidify our top four for the next several years, thus improving our team now AND five years from now. That’s the Yzerman way. If it’s a short term fix we’re after we can get somebody much cheaper than McDonagh who can patch the hole and give us time to develop or trade for a more permanent solution. If we blow our wad on McDonagh and don’t resign him then once we do acquire a long term replacement our farm system will be depleted and we’ll be in cap hell with no way out.

That's definitely fair. I understand that logic, and it's not like the Bolts aren't already looking to make a deep run without him. My point was just to say that I think SY has put himself in a position where the building for the future has come to a head (for lack of a better term) right now, and the window is here. So he has to make a choice, whether or not to sacrifice the future - there was a recent rumor that he is willing to do just that - in return for an excellent shot at the Cup right now.

Obviously, no one has the gift of foresight. But if SY goes all out and trades, say, Sergachev for McD right now...which we all agree is probably not going to happen...but if it does and TB wins the Cup either this year or next year with McD...IMO that's a price worth paying, at least in the eyes of an organization's front office.

It's easier for me to say that not being a TB fan, and there's no guarantee that McD gets you a Cup. But it certainly maximizes TB's chances right now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's interesting to me because Tampa have a massive pile of "good, not great" assets to peddle. Late 1st, a lot of similarly valued guys in that range. Good solid pieces, but no real potential impact "centerpiece" types to spare. Unless they're willing to sell high on Sergachev's early point production...in which case, all bets are off.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Yes, but Green can be had for less... And Tampa doesn't exactly need a 1D, they already have one.
Injuries happens, also it's kind of dumb to be stingy and possibly waste their window.. They should top the team if they can and they can afford it.

Stamkos, Kuch, Point, Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Stralman, Sergachev, Vasi and so on is an excellent foundation. Move some prospects who are a few years away for a bonafide #1D who's under 30 years old is a move they should make.

They could also re-sign McDonagh. IIRC Coburn, Girardi, Kunitz and maybe even Callahan's deals are up when McDonagh need a new deal.

Due to low income tax in the state of Florida they could get McD re-signed for below marketvalue.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It's interesting to me because Tampa have a massive pile of "good, not great" assets to peddle. Late 1st, a lot of similarly valued guys in that range. Good solid pieces, but no real potential impact "centerpiece" types to spare. Unless they're willing to sell high on Sergachev's early point production...in which case, all bets are off.
Agreed. Not one single blue chip prospect..

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
McDonagh at 50% for Howden, Foote, 1st rounder this year, and a 2nd rounder next year that turns into a first rounder if Tampa makes it to the SCF in either 2018 or 2019.

McDonagh at 50% for Howden, Foote, Raddysh, 2nd rounder this year.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Imagine getting reunited with Girardi.

Gordon calls McDonagh: "You've been traded to Tampa Bay, thank you for everything you've done for us and good luck"

McDonagh: "f*** yes going to a contender baby, can't wait to play with Hedman"

Cooper: "Welcome Ryan, we've been going over the lineups and i think we have the perfect partner for you"

Girardi: "Yo McD, wassup"

McDonagh: Oh for f***s sake..

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
This dude still as good as he once was? Fans on Twitter are crushing this guy. Saying he's soft, hasn't won a battle on the boards in years, worn down, etc.

I don't watch many Rags games anymore so I can't say...

This is true. Anytime I watch NYR play, he looks like a shell of his former self.

I envision a seabrook like decline in the very near future.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
“It’s been brutal, no question about it,” McDonagh said. “With everything going on with the team, we need to stay focused on trying to put together somewhat of a complete game. We’re not even close.”
This from today's Post. Everything going on.....has a trade been discussed? I know all about not including Sergachev but the prospects are just that and the 1st rders are 2nds. Tampa has been close to the cup and Yzerman needs to decide if he is going for it. What does Green cost you 3 prospects ? Anti up and get Mac. I say Sergachev is part of a deal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My best guess and what I think should be is

Tampa gets: McDonuts

NYR gets: 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 3rd, 2019 4th, one of coburn or Girardi, and Howden.

I don't think a player can be traded to the team that bought him out within the first 12 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad