Confirmed Trade: [NYR/TBL] Ryan McDonagh & JT Miller for 2018 1st, 2018 2nd (Cond), Namestnikov, Howden & Hajek

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Zuccarello not having a good year at all? lol... He might not be having his best season but he leads the team in points, great twoway forward and once again he has no elite players to finish his passes like most of the other great playmakers in the NHL has. He is 11th in even strength assist since 2013 with mostly guys like Kreider, Stepan, Brassard, Pouliot on his line. He outproduces everyone he plays with... I just hope he gets traded to a team with someone who really can score so he would get alot more respect around the league as a twoway forward and as a playmaker.

Jan 21, 2018
Said it before, McDonaugh is a much better fit in Tampa than Karlsson, cheaper too obviously.

Some combination of 2018 1st/foote/howden/raddysh etc, and I'm sure some salary will be sent back too.

I wonder if NYR would consider retaining 50% to get an even better package, maybe an extra prospect included?

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I’d be shocked if there’s a deal to made here for McDonagh

By here, do you mean this forum? I would agree...TB fans won't agree on the valuation of McD by Rangers fans, Rangers fans won't settle for less than top dollar price.

I'll prove my point by saying this - if the Rangers aren't asking for Point or Sergachev, then everything else should be fair game.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Makes sense for Tampa to go for it. Also paying more in terms of futures than fans would traditionally like. They have this year and next year to really go for it while Kucherov is paid way below his value and guys like Point, Gourde, Sergachev and Dotchin are real cheap.

After that lots of salary comes off D-contracts so they can stay good, but now is a great time in their window for sure.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That wouldn’t be fair.

That would be a ridiculously great line up from top to bottom. It already is. Not really any glaring holes or weaknesses.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As a Leafs fan I'd throw in the towel. It would be unfair for Tampa to get him. And they could absolutely do it too. They're among the best at the draft.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
People are saying 2 great but not elite prospects plus the #25-31 pick is too much for a #1 D-man captain in his prime for $2.4m for at least two Cup runs? My God.
Not saying he's not worth that, just saying I don't think that's a move Yzerman makes. He built this team to what it is now because he never sold the future. I don't foresee him suddenly doing something that drastic.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This dude still as good as he once was? Fans on Twitter are crushing this guy. Saying he's soft, hasn't won a battle on the boards in years, worn down, etc.

I don't watch many Rags games anymore so I can't say...

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This dude still as good as he once was? Fans on Twitter are crushing this guy. Saying he's soft, hasn't won a battle on the boards in years, worn down, etc.

If it's board play you want, we'll bring back Dan Cleary and trade him for a 1st. His board play was so ELITE Holland and Babcock held down much more skilled players for years!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Is there a new Zhitnik in the league? We could get him to NYR to resurrect an old fantasy hockey name...

Sandman? Fun team. Miss those days.

Would be wild if we trade for McDonagh. I’m not expecting it to happen though. SY was at Detroit the last few games too. We can get Green too lol.

Hedman Green
McDonagh Stralman
Sergachev Girardi
Coburn

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not saying he's not worth that, just saying I don't think that's a move Yzerman makes. He built this team to what it is now because he never sold the future. I don't foresee him suddenly doing something that drastic.

A**hole sold us Kyle Quincey for Vasilevskiy....

I'm gonna go say a million hail mary's before cutting my own tongue off for calling Yzerman that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I’m an islanders fan who hates the Rangers. I’d kill for McDonough on the islanders.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

This. I just don’t see us being able to afford McDonagh’s extension and I don’t see Yzerman throwing away several valuable pieces for a two playoff run rental. Green for a 1st would make more sense: it’d strengthen us for this postseason and allow us to either make a longer term move at the draft or use the beginning of next season to see what we have in Koekkoek and Cernak before committing to a big trade.

My guess if he does get McDonagh is that it will be for a 1st, a 2nd, and one of our winger prospects, thus allowing us to keep our defensive and center depth intact. You could swap out one or more of those pieces for an expendable roster player. I’ll be very surprised if Johnson gets moved like people here think he’ll be.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

Yes, he is. He's still a #1 D and would absolutely thrive on a team where he wouldn't be relied upon to be the #1 guy in all situations. Not that he isn't capable of doing it, Tampa just has Hedman already. They'd instantly become the Cup favorites, and would have him for a full season next year as well.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
This. I just don’t see us being able to afford McDonagh’s extension and I don’t see Yzerman throwing away several valuable pieces for a two playoff run rental. Green for a 1st would make more sense: it’d strengthen us for this postseason and allow us to either make a longer term move at the draft or use the beginning of next season to see what we have in Koekkoek and Cernak before committing to a big trade.

My guess if he does get McDonagh is that it will be for a 1st, a 2nd, and one of our winger prospects, thus allowing us to keep our defensive and center depth intact. You could swap out one or more of those pieces for an expendable roster player. I’ll be very surprised if Johnson gets moved like people here think he’ll be.

Honestly that won't be enough. Isn't the ultimate goal of any and every GM to win the Cup? Yes, there's a number of priorities that they have, including building for your future and keeping the team competitive for as long as possible. But the ultimate goal is to win it all, right?

Tampa's window is right now, not 2 years from now, not 5 years from now...it's wide open right now. So, while I understand the reluctance of the fans to part with valuable young talent that SY has worked so hard to get, I don't think he's going to prioritize them over a piece that will give them the maximum return right now....aka the Cup.

Not saying that they should be throwing every prospect that they have at the Rangers...but realistically it's going to cost more than a potential second line winger and two draft picks.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
My best guess and what I think should be is

Tampa gets: McDonuts

NYR gets: 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 3rd, 2019 4th, one of coburn or Girardi, and Howden.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
As good as McDonaugh is, I think it would be a waste of assets for the Lightning to acquire him. The bolts are set on top 4 LHD with Hedman and Sergachev. So unless McDonaugh is good on the right side, seems like they could use someone else (Barrie, Green)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
As good as McDonaugh is, I think it would be a waste of assets for the Lightning to acquire him. The bolts are set on top 4 LHD with Hedman and Sergachev. So unless McDonaugh is good on the right side, seems like they could use someone else (Barrie, Green)

How about trading Sergachev for mcD

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Honestly that won't be enough. Isn't the ultimate goal of any and every GM to win the Cup? Yes, there's a number of priorities that they have, including building for your future and keeping the team competitive for as long as possible. But the ultimate goal is to win it all, right?

Tampa's window is right now, not 2 years from now, not 5 years from now...it's wide open right now. So, while I understand the reluctance of the fans to part with valuable young talent that SY has worked so hard to get, I don't think he's going to prioritize them over a piece that will give them the maximum return right now....aka the Cup.

Not saying that they should be throwing every prospect that they have at the Rangers...but realistically it's going to cost more than a potential second line winger and two draft picks.
I hear what you're saying, but no move can guarantee a cup this year. The playoffs always bring uncertainty, lucky bounces, injuries, hot teams. What gives you the best chance to win a cup, being the clear best team this year or being among the best teams for 5 straight years?
Yzerman had built this team for sustained success. Yeah Stamkos and Hedman are in prime time right now, but several years younger are Kucherov and Vasilevskiy, and even younger Point and Sergachev. Yzerman will never go all in when he has a strong hand to play over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad