Confirmed with Link: [NYR/TBL] Callahan + 2015 1st + Cond.2014 2nd to TBL for Martin St. Louis + Cond pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
and to that end, i think slats isnt nearly as bad as many make him out to be. he did pretty well here unless you assume it will be 2 first rounders and both of them will be impact players. with our track record, im not worried. remember, we drafted ryan mcilrath at 10 ?

he isnt giving out those last contract type deals to aging players anymore. he isnt moving young assets fro aging "out to pasture" guys any more. his mo recently is moving draft picks for guys he thinks will help us now.

signing cally for 6 yrs would have been another of those type of deals you highlighted.

msl is on the books for 2 more years and his deal is pretty cap friendly. after that, who knows but im thinking he resigns here. if not, we have 4 years of 6 mil per that we didnt pay to cally to use elsewhere.

those deals you rightly mentioned were bad. this wasnt the same thing.

and thats a good thing.

Yeah, I felt awful intially about potentially surrendering 2 1st rounders for a soon to be 39 year old. Then I remembered Gordie Clark will be running the drafts and my disappointment subsided. Whatever, I don't expect impact players in the 1st round anymore regardless of position with Clark in charge.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I really agree with this.

It's going to be really interesting to see which GM signs Callahan at the $$$ he was demanding. I think it will be someone who is going to be a bit desperate - Devils???

You know that players often re-sign with "home town discounts".... well, he was looking for a "home town inflation". I'm glad Glenn said no. It's way too much for a 3rd line RW.

me too. if the reports are true - and i do question them - sather offered a more-than-fair deal.
in fact, most teams will not offer that this summer (partly because callahan has been going half-speed to avoid injury, i think).
so basically callahan has already - again, if the reported offers are true - sold himself to one of a group of maybe five teams willing to go over six million per year.

if you polled every team asking what kind of contract they'd offer callahan, i suspect the rangers last offer would be in the top five or six. and he said 'no'. he's the disloyal one in this case.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Everyone gets upset because MSL is left off Team Canada; Everyone gets upset at MSL for being upset because he was left off of Team Canada.

Occidentalist

Beernerd
Dec 19, 2011
NJ
Now that I've had a day for it to sink in, I don't like this trade one bit. We mortgage even more of our future for a 38 year old RW, who maybe has 2-3 years left in him. Don't get me wrong, MSL is a heck of a player, but I don't believe he is the answer for us getting any closer to the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup.

IMO, as long as Glen Sather is the GM of this team, we won't win a Stanley Cup (I hope I am wrong, and will gladly eat crow if I am). He created the problem of Callahan wanting what he did for his next contract, think about it.

Look at all the players Sather has thrown money to since he became GM in 2000, some good, some not so good...Holik, Kasparaitis, Rozsival, Gomez, Drury, Redden, Richards. Ironically, Redden's 6yrs/$39M contract was in the ballpark of what the Rangers & Callahan were negotiating.

Now, the homegrown guys see this and when they want a new contract Sather plays hardball with them...Dubinsky, Del Zotto, Callahan. If Sather gets fed up, he trades them away for a shiny new toy. This ends up being a cycle with Sather, rinse & repeat. I think this trade however might effectively lead to a re-emergence of the 'dark years' of 97-04 (again I hope I'm wrong).

Sorry for the rant, but this has been many years building in me and yesterday was the last straw...

Mortgage the future? We resigned Girardi, Lundqvist, Stepan, and McDonagh. We have Kreider, Hagelin, Miller, Nash, Brassard, Staal, etc. We have Fast, McIlrath, Skjei, etc. ready for callup.

The time to strike was now. The team needed to be improved NOW while Lundqvist and the current defense is still with the team. St. Louis makes us a better team than Callahan. Those two draft picks wouldn't result in an NHL ready player until 2018 or so. How good do you think Lundqvist, Girardi, McDonagh, Staal, Stepan, etc. will be in 2018?

I do agree that Sather needs to go...

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Just a terrible, terrible, dark ages esque trade. One guaranteed first and potentially another one for 38 1/2 year old MSL? The worst part about the whole situation is two fold, really. For starters, Glen had all the leverage because MSL demanded a trade only to the Rangers, and the trade doesn't fill a position of need AT ALL for us. We need an elite center. You mean to tell me we couldn't have traded Ryan Callahan and 2 first round picks for an upgrade at C? Everyone who loves this deal, have fun watching the Tampa Bay Blue Jackets try and gel in these next 19 games. I will be extremely surprised if it happens.

Get ****ed Sather

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I have yet to hear a legitimate argument showing that MSL has declined or is about to decline. I just see a lot of people quoting his age again, and again, and again. I know 60 year olds who are more fit than I can can run marathons in the mid 2 hour range, and I'm in my early 30's.

This board gripes about age more than any sport board anywhere else on the internet, except perhaps Arsenal FC's.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So people aren't mad about the picks because they think the Rangers would blow them anyway. I'll remember that when people are *****ing about not being able to draft so and so because the Rangers moved the pick that could have been used to get them.

Perhaps a chance to take a Fowler is better than having no chance at all.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have yet to hear a legitimate argument showing that MSL has declined or is about to decline. I just see a lot of people quoting his age again, and again, and again. I know 60 year olds who are more fit than I can can run marathons in the mid 2 hour range, and I'm in my early 30's.

This board gripes about age more than any sport board anywhere else on the internet, except perhaps Arsenal FC's.

The argument is probability. How many players maintained a scoring leader pace into their 40's?

KreiMeARiver*

The argument is probability. How many players maintained a scoring leader pace into their 40's?

MSL has made a career out of bucking the trends and proving people wrong.

He's an anomaly, yes, but he's got 3-4 more years in him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

How many players became PPG players as late as MSL?

Selanne scored 80 in 73 at age 40, 66 points in a full season at age 41.
Adam Oates was a ppg player at age 39, a 60 point player at age 40.

There are a lot of guys who put up 60+ well into their 40's. I'm not going to say he's going to be a 100 point player for us, but he's technically the most productive offensive player we have and will almost certainly lead the team in scoring the next 2 years barring injury.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
How many players became PPG players as late as MSL?

Developing later doesn't prolong your career.

Selanne scored 80 in 73 at age 40, 66 points in a full season at age 41.
Adam Oates was a ppg player at age 39, a 60 point player at age 40.

There are a lot of guys who put up 60+ well into their 40's. I'm not going to say he's going to be a 100 point player for us, but he's technically the most productive offensive player we have and will almost certainly lead the team in scoring the next 2 years barring injury.

This part of the point I've been making since the MSL leaks originated. Did we trade for MSL so we could have a 60 point player? No, we traded for him to be an elite offensive presence. If he scores 80 points for the next 3 or 4 years, that's great. However, the odds are seriously stacked against him, and most players tend to slow down VERY quickly once they hit 40. Sure, he could be an exception, but that's a pretty big gamble to make with potentially two first round picks and a valuable rental asset.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Even though I like the trade this was pretty hard to look at.
BiETqoaIEAAKfG2.jpg

NHL Fanatik*

Would the biggest disappointment be if the Rangers make it to the Conference finals, and then lose?

Because then you have the 2nd pick turn to a 1st, and you got knocked out. So tqo 1st Rounders, and only one more year of St Louis after that.

But I doubt that exact scenario happens, if it did that'd be crazy.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Would the biggest disappointment be if the Rangers make it to the Conference finals, and then lose?

Because then you have the 2nd pick turn to a 1st, and you got knocked out. So tqo 1st Rounders, and only one more year of St Louis after that.

But I doubt that exact scenario happens, if it did that'd be crazy.

I posted it before, but that's the funniest part of this trade to me; that if the Rangers end up making the ECF, there are plenty of fans on this board that will be upset. And not only that, but then there will be even more fans who will be irate if the Rangers get knocked out in the ECF. I can see the posts now:

"Why didn't we just get knocked out intentionally in the semis? There's no way we were going to beat (insert team name here) in the conference finals!"

Should be a fun April here on HFNYR :laugh:

:cry:

Punxrocknyc19*

so if Rangers miss the playoffs, they dont get anything else from the Bolts :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad