Confirmed with Link: [NYR/TBL] Callahan + 2015 1st + Cond.2014 2nd to TBL for Martin St. Louis + Cond pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Another aspect of this trade is Stamkos. More than likely St. Louis will resign w the Rangers for a one year contract either before or during next summer. He will probably do that each year until he decides its time to hang them up.

Could St. Louis relationship w Stamkos play a role in giving the Rangers an inside track of signing him in 2016?

Stamkos will only be 26 year old then. No long term contract for Callahan strapping the Rangers cap situation. If that played out (and its probably a big if) that would be well worth giving up those picks.

IceBear86

Broadway Pride
Feb 27, 2009
Regensburg, Bavaria
So you traded the guy who broke his leg for you, sacrificed his body and health for you, ripped his heart out every night for you. I'm so devastated and furious right now I can' tell. ******* you Sather, I hope this will come back to you and I hope the Rangers miss the playoffs every damn year from now on. I'm outta here. This organization pisses me off to no end.

*Bob Richards*

So you traded the guy who broke his leg for you, sacrificed his body and health for you, ripped his heart out every night for you. I'm so devastated and furious right now I can' tell. ******* you Sather, I hope this will come back to you and I hope the Rangers miss the playoffs every damn year from now on. I'm outta here. This organization pisses me off to no end.

Whoa, slow down. I'm upset that he left too, but you're making it seem like they completely stiff armed him. He was given a fair offer and didn't accept it. I hold no ill will towards him for thinking he can command more and that's how the business of it goes.

IceBear86

Broadway Pride
Feb 27, 2009
Regensburg, Bavaria
Whoa, slow down. I'm upset that he left too, but you're making it seem like they completely stiff armed him. He was given a fair offer and didn't accept it. I hold no ill will towards him for thinking he can command more and that's how the business of it goes.

OK, I'll have to explain. Trading Cally was the final, but by far the biggest blow. Duby was the first one, Ani another small one, Pruster another one. You could have found a deal. But no, Sather needs big names. Did he bother giving guys like Drury and Gomez ridiculous contracts?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

They offered him 6 years, and 36 million dollars.

just think about that.

how many forwards who have never scored 30 goals in their life get that kinda money at the age of 28?

AND HE TURNED IT DOWN!!!!!!

To me thats the amazing story here. Not that the Rangers traded Cally, it's that Cally said NO to that kind of money.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Another aspect of this trade is Stamkos. More than likely St. Louis will resign w the Rangers for a one year contract either before or during next summer. He will probably do that each year until he decides its time to hang them up.

Could St. Louis relationship w Stamkos play a role in giving the Rangers an inside track of signing him in 2016?

Stamkos will only be 26 year old then. No long term contract for Callahan strapping the Rangers cap situation. If that played out (and its probably a big if) that would be well worth giving up those picks.

that's many years away but a 26 y.o. Stamkos? :amazed:

The Lone Ranger

Dec 10, 2011
  1. This is one of the absolute best conditioned athletes in the entire league, at any age. The guy is a workout fanatic and built like a freakin tank.
  2. At 38 his game isn't exactly in the crapper. He is, right this second, one of the best in the league. This is the same guy who led the entire league in scoring last season, and who THIS SEASON is 9th in pts and 5th in goals. This is one of the premier scorers in the league, right now, and his conditioning and skill set is off the hook.
  3. And as insanely well-conditioned as he is, it is not remotely out of the loop he is still a very effective player 3, 4, 5 seasons from now. Even if his game falls a bit, his skill level and conditioning say this guy has more than one more good year in him, easily, and he will likely sign a very friendly deal and still be very damn good.

I agree 1000%!

This isn't the second coming of a rusty legend who's been out of the league for 3 years (Lafleur) or a fading superstar fueling himself with beer and pizza (Espo). MSL is a fitness freak and a good bet to have Jagr and Selanne-like longevity.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Realistically, I think you work having MSL for this season and then 2 more at a pretty productive rate. Anything more than that is just getting lucky.

The question then becomes can he (and the team) get anything done in that time? I don't believe they have the cattle to get out of the 2nd rnd this season, and there is still more questions than answers with the team leading up the draft and FA. With Slats looking like he wants to go 'all in' it is going to make for an interesting 4 months

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Potential loss of 3 1st rounders in 4 years. A lot of what bothers me about it is the principle behind it.

I think we gave up way too much on this one.

Tampa felt they had to move MSL. We saved their season by giving up someone who can log his ice time instantly, and a 1st and a 2nd that can become a 1st. For someone who real soon will turn 39 y/o.

MSL don't make a us a true contender. The make or break for us is still that we are good when we can play our game, and we are not good when we can't. The teams that get us of our game is the one who can put pressure on our D's and force us to revert to the old Torts throw the puck away style. MSL helps here, because he is an awsome momentum winning player. The problem is still that we in all honesty don't have a single D who is really good at moving the puck under pressure. Our guys haven't been allowed to do it for 3.5 years under Torts, and its showing. McD is really coming along fast, but compared to the better Ds of the better teams, McD, Staal, Girardi and co are still sloppy with puck. That puts us on the back for longer stretches and make us vunerable.

We also obviously lack size up front. We don't really have that killer instinct shot precense. And so forth.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Tampa felt they had to move MSL. We saved their season by giving up someone who can log his ice time instantly, and a 1st and a 2nd that can become a 1st. For someone who real soon will turn 39 y/o.

MSL don't make a us a true contender. The make or break for us is still that we are good when we can play our game, and we are not good when we can't. The teams that get us of our game is the one who can put pressure on our D's and force us to revert to the old Torts throw the puck away style. MSL helps here, because he is an awsome momentum winning player. The problem is still that we in all honesty don't have a single D who is really good at moving the puck under pressure. Our guys haven't been allowed to do it for 3.5 years under Torts, and its showing. McD is really coming along fast, but compared to the better Ds of the better teams, McD, Staal, Girardi and co are still sloppy with puck. That puts us on the back for longer stretches and make us vunerable.

We also obviously lack size up front. We don't really have that killer instinct shot precense. And so forth.

I love that Marty St. Louis is a NYRanger, but I have to agree with all of this.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Have to agree with you. MSL makes the team better and is an upgrade over Callahan, but there are still too many weaknesses.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York

On the other hand, does having MSL
decrease the willingness to CBO Richards?

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, fast forward to a few years from now, not gonna be pretty. Of course, if we win a Cup, none of this matters.

Don't worry, we won't.

Laughable to even think this team has a chance at winning the cup in 2-3 years. Hell, to think they will when Sather is here is laughable. For however long that is... He will be trading for 40 yr old past their prime stars on his deathbed.

And if we do win the cup, that is great but we will go right back into the dark ages. This team will not remain competitive.

JedYzerman

Jan 8, 2011
Cocoa Beach, FL
As a Tampa Bay Lightning fan, from NYC. I think both sides got good deals in this. MSL will play his heart out for you and he is amazing to watch on the ice. Perhaps he will even improve more now that he is closer to his family, which is what he wanted.

On the bright side I now have a team to root for in the Metro div.

Best of luck and see you in the conference finals!!! :yo:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers aren't a contender. If you look at their prospects,the future won't be any better. THN FW ranked the Rangers 30th overall. I feel sorry for the next GM of this team. Dolan will blame him. Look at the Knicks. Kyper reported in December there was talk about the Rangers making front office changes after this season and Sather not being the GM. If you look at the Rangers current and future salary commitments,the team won't have much space to improve the team. The cap could be $68M next season and not $71M because of the Canadian dollar. They don't have much to trade. They didn't have a #1 and #2 in the 2013 draft. They won't have a #1 or #2 in the 2014 draft. No #1 in 2015.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Don't worry, we won't.

Laughable to even think this team has a chance at winning the cup in 2-3 years. Hell, to think they will when Sather is here is laughable. For however long that is... He will be trading for 40 yr old past their prime stars on his deathbed.

And if we do win the cup, that is great but we will go right back into the dark ages. This team will not remain competitive.

I think people are underestimating how hard it is to win a Cup. You need more than a great team; for a realistic chance you need a great team for years, not just one shot.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We definitely overpaid. Sucks to give up possibly two 1st rounders. Happy MSL is a Ranger however.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
They offered him 6 years, and 36 million dollars.

just think about that.

how many forwards who have never scored 30 goals in their life get that kinda money at the age of 28?

AND HE TURNED IT DOWN!!!!!!

To me thats the amazing story here. Not that the Rangers traded Cally, it's that Cally said NO to that kind of money.

And he said no to an original six franchise, said no to continue being the captain of that franchise, said no to a team that makes the playoffs nearly every year since the lockout, said no to likely having his number retired if he would've stayed here, and on and on and on.

There's more to this than money. Have fun in Buffalo playing for a sad sack franchise that's run like a Benny Hill episode. Enjoy the extra 250K and NTC piloting that ship.

He should've stayed. The offer was more, no, MORE than fair.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

People need to stop taking things so personally. Sather offered Callahan more than he's frankly worth and Callahan wanted to get the money. This is a 2 way street. At what point is Callahan to blame in this? This is a business, no need to get emotional. MSL or no MSL, he had to get dealt. Also he's not that player anymore. He's not the wrecking ball he was for years. He was going through the motions most of the time.

Tikkanese

Dec 6, 2006
New York
Value considerations

3 straight years actually.

Sather's use of first round picks is not inspiring historically, so let's not overstate their value by presuming they're all equivalent to blue chip NHL players. In NYR's hands, a 1st round pick probably provides a 20% chance of a complete bust (Jessiman, Sanguenetti, Montoya), a 30% chance at a 2nd pair D-man, a 30% chance at a 3rd line forward, a 10% chance at an elite forward and 10% chance of a fringe NHLer. As a currency, a future 1st round pick is probably worth either a) a solid 2nd/3rd line player in his prime, b) a top older player with a huge contract remaining, or c) a one-year "rental" of a top player.

Just look at some of the trades this year - 2nd round and 3rd round picks don't get you much more than depth in return. 1st round picks have real value, but there are not that many precedents to get a sense for what they're worth (if someone has a good list of "straight up" trades where one team gave up only a 1st rounder, please post).

Effectively, we traded 2-3 months of Callahan and a 2014 2nd round pick (conditional first) for MSL for the rest of this season, and a 2015 1st round pick straight up for MSL in '14-'15. It may be a little steep, but it's not really that expensive. Ideally, we would not have provided the conditionality to Tampa, but since it requires NYR to get to the ECF this year, it only is triggered if the trade proves very positive for the team immediately.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Just to add: I'm sure this is a factor in the 6M-6.5M debate -

"We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That's a huge swing," Lombardi said. "So that's more of the talks with our three guys, Mitchell, Lewis and Greene, who we'd all like to bring back. That's more of a hindrance than anything we acquired today. "

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhl-trades-elliott-20140306,0,7143483.column#ixzz2vBkV2Wod

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Thinking about it some more, I'm not really disappointed (wish the 2015 1st was a 2014 1st) with the trade. Given what Vanek brought back yesterday, I don't think Callahan would've even netted a 1st. I think I'm more disappointed that the Rangers didn't add any size up front. The NYR are going to have to hope that someone takes out the Bruins because it won't be the Rangers. I don't think they're big/physical enough to deal with the B's (or the Western Conference elites).

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think people are underestimating how hard it is to win a Cup. You need more than a great team; for a realistic chance you need a great team for years, not just one shot.

Ding ding ding. Well said. Hell look at the Pens. Have 2 top 5 players in the world and haven't made the SCF since 2009. It's damn hard. And damn foolish to load up for one "window".

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Ding ding ding. Well said. Hell look at the Pens. Have 2 top 5 players in the world and haven't made the SCF since 2009. It's damn hard. And damn foolish to load up for one "window".

Totally agree with that.

If anything they have been closing this fictional window more with every pick they have given away.

Trade for Nash, he scores some goals here and there, not in the playoffs, and then starts this perimeter play, backing into the zone thing after being concussed. That cost two roster player(2 2nds), the two picks they gave up for Erixon(2 2nds) and a 1st.

Then the Gaborik trade, which I still think was pretty good, but they did not get back their picks other than a 6th.

Then the Clowe trade 2nd, 3rd, 5th

Now this trade for what I think will be a 1st and 2nd

That is

1st round picks = at least 2 maybe 3
2nd round picks = at least 6, or 2 middle 6 roster players and 4
3rd = 1
5th = 1

My memory may be a little off and that may not be totally accurate but that is like 2 full drafts worth of prospects given up for Nash, MSL, Clowe.

If they do not win the cup within the window they made for themselves, these moves are going to look terrible and so will the team in like 4 years or so. And to boot they'll still have Nash, Lundqvist, Girardi, and Richards if they do not buy him out, signed at that time.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am sorry but possibly trading 3 first round picks in a row is monumentally stupid for any reason, especially the patently Pejorative Slured reason, "the Rangers haven't traditionally drafted well in the 1st round". Really? If Sather thinks that way, I hope he has a new set of depends on.

I understand the need to get rid of Callahan because of contract demands. The fact remains this is not a team poised for even one Stanley Cup run let alone a sustained or prolonged period of them.

It's a proven fact that to succeed in leagues saddled with salary caps, it's imperative that you bring in cheap young talent to compensate for the big contracts teams will inevitably have to dole out. Trading first round picks is certainly not helping accomplish that task. This trade is a giant meh.

Edit: I want to be clear, I love Callahan as a player but I root for the laundry not the player sort of speak. If a player demands the moon, he better be worth it. Callahan was not worth his demands and dictated the need for a trade, I get that and totally cool. That said, I do not like the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->