Confirmed Buy-Out [NYR] Rangers have bought out Henrik Lundqvist

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
End of an era. Guy was the face and backbone of the franchise for 15 years. Carried them to long playoff runs. Wonder if he retires or goes to a team to be a back up or 1b?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If the Canucks don't resign Markstrom, I'd bring in HL on a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal to backup Demko. Swedes love Vancouver!

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Wow. $5.5M in dead cap this season for only $3M in cap and $1.5M in real dollars saved. I guess the cost for teams to eat that was too high (i.e. a 1st) so the Rangers elected to save what they can? Gorton is a great GM so you know this move was probably the last resort. Hopefully Hank has enough in the tank to try for a Cup one more time. He's a lock for the HHOF regardless.

Edit: Also, the Rangers are gearing up to afford their RFAs and to extend Zibby next year. They are in a weird situation where they have cap space on paper but have to sign a lot of players that will eat cap space quickly.

Gordon who has players fall in his lap and has 13 mil in dead cap next year = great GM.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sad end to his NY career. I figured he would be a Ranger for life

Frankly if I was him I would hang em up but that is his choice

At this point he is at best an average backup who can only play 20-30 games

Reactions: Gardner McKay

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think Lundqvist will go anywhere else after the buyout. Its not worth to move his family for 1 year at most. He's done as a player.

Reactions: mouser

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Gordon who has players fall in his lap and has 13 mil in dead cap next year = great GM.

The Islanders are down their 1st round pick this year and their 2nd the next two seasons with no cap space to work with. Rangers are in much better shape here. Let's see Lou actually put that GM of the year award to work and prove it wasnt a fluke.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
watch him take a flier in carolina. it's not a long flight back and forth if and I'm sure he'll keep his family up in NYC

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I’ve been telling rangers fans, it’s destiny. Hall will be a Ranger and if he goes there he will be the creme de la creme of their LW position.

quick 11 mill for Hall and Pietrangelo and they’re making the playoffs consistently

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
The Islanders are down their 1st round pick this year and their 2nd the next two seasons with no cap space to work with. Rangers are in much better shape here. Let's see Lou actually put that GM of the year award to work and prove it wasnt a fluke.

Your lips to gods ears. In lou i trust

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't understand why anybody mentions the dead cap space... Who cares when you save actual cap? You can have Lundqvist on the roster and have less dead cap, with a higher actual cap hit, or more dead cap and less actual cap hit. I know what I'd prefer... We save 3 million. On top of the Staal trade we save over 8 million now. The 1.5 the following year when Shattys buyouy drops from 6 to less than 1.5 million is a great scenario for us.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If the Leafs move on from Freddie we can sign him for a year and have him start with Campbell taking an increased role as a back up.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I don't think Lundqvist will go anywhere else after the buyout. Its not worth to move his family for 1 year at most. He's done as a player.

Why would he stay in NYC right now? Place literally went to shit. Like for real. Whether he plays or not, i can't imagine him wanting to raise a family in Manhattan right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad