Confirmed Buy-Out [NYR] Rangers have bought out Henrik Lundqvist

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Rangers don't have a need for Hall or Pietroangelo.

Think this is a bad idea. Just let him be the backup and eat the money for one season and deal Georgie.

Reactions: Morrison

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Is there much cap savings from this? I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure this is what Henrik wanted and that’s it.
Doubt he wants it to go like this...moreso that the Rangers don’t want a three headed goalie monster next year (in which Lundqvist is awkwardly scratched), and nobody Hank was willing to waive to wanted him or that contract.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I really hope Hank signs with a team where he can have a shot at a cup. He deserves it.

Also, there’s no way they sign Hall or Pietrangelo. They have a ton of dead cap next season, have to resign their RFA’s, and LW and RHD are positions the Rangers are fairly set at.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
no,
(1) not contending soon, (2) already have Panarin/Trouba/Kreider contracts,
(3) will rise >$10M dead Cap if buy out Hank, (4) gotta resign Zib in a couple and
(5) have 4 key RFAs and a key UFA, and (6) the multiple high firsts may earn bonuses which impact Cap
If you’re not planning on contending with your current team plus Laf, there’s something wrong in NYR

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I really hope NYR stays clear of Hall... they are building something unbelievable but I feel Halls next deal will handcuff the team by about year 3 and it will be a very regrettable signing

Even with the Hank buyout, we don't have the cap space to sign Hall. If we bring in any significant players, it's likely to be through trade.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure if Hank would want to play for another team. He clearly loved being a Ranger. Then again, Brodeur played for St.Louis after many years in New Jersey, so I guess it’s possible.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is there much cap savings from this? I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure this is what Henrik wanted and that’s it.

3 mil savings, minus the cost of his replacement. So 1.5 to 2 mil, likely. That's another player or two, potentially.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I still don't get why they won't just trade Georgiyev for value and run with Shestyorkin-Lundqvist for next year.

You're going to have to trade Georgiyev eventually unless you want him taken in the expansion draft.
Maybe a CBA guru can correct me on that one but isnt Shestyorkin exempted from the ED due to his age/contract status?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If you’re saying the names Hall and Pietrangelo in this thread you are dumb. The Rangers don’t need another LW or a RD.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I still don't get why they won't just trade Georgiyev for value and run with Shestyorkin-Lundqvist for next year.

You're going to have to trade Georgiyev eventually unless you want him taken in the expansion draft.

For the billionth time, we can protect Georgiev. We have no other goalies who require protection. We actually have to sign one to expose.

Buying out Hank doesn't mean we won't still trade Georgiev, but we are going to give him away either.

I would agree with Hall, but in the case of Pietrangelo you trade somebody to make it work

Pietrangelo is a RD. Why would we want him?

Reactions: bleedblue94

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Wow. $5.5M in dead cap this season for only $3M in cap and $1.5M in real dollars saved. I guess the cost for teams to eat that was too high (i.e. a 1st) so the Rangers elected to save what they can? Gorton is a great GM so you know this move was probably the last resort. Hopefully Hank has enough in the tank to try for a Cup one more time. He's a lock for the HHOF regardless.

Edit: Also, the Rangers are gearing up to afford their RFAs and to extend Zibby next year. They are in a weird situation where they have cap space on paper but have to sign a lot of players that will eat cap space quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad