Recalled/Assigned: #NYR have recalled forward Ryan Bourque and defenseman Chris Summers

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The 260 veteran game rule is why Summers has played less than 25 games this season. If the Rangers get banged up in the playoffs, and need defensemen, its not a bad idea to give him a look. He sucks though... but is a very good skater... would make for a better winger than defenseman.

Nice to see Bourque Jr get a look. He's worked his tail of the last several years, and hopefully it translates to a team like BOS to COL trading a conditional pick for him. He's worked hard every game he's played... I wouldn't have him ranked higher than Oscar, Marek, Klingberg, or some of the other guys in HFD, but its a nice pat on the back for the kid.

BTW I wouldn't put too much stock on rank with these call ups, but Bourque Jr is friends with Kreider from way back when they were kids. Summers is good pals with Yandle too. Could be a team chemistry thing where a couple of the varsity guys get to play with their friends for a night in the NHL. Those guys getting an NHL payday too is a nice touch by the org. They've logged a lot of time in the AHL.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Bourque has a legitimate shot at the 4th line next year as far as I'm concerned.

How?

Glass, Fast, Moore.

They're all coming back. Sheppard won't be. Bourque has had more than enough chances to make his way on to the NHL roster. It's not happening. I was cheering for him to, but the window is closed.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It'll be interesting to see Summers & Burc in action.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
How?

Glass, Fast, Moore.

They're all coming back. Sheppard won't be. Bourque has had more than enough chances to make his way on to the NHL roster. It's not happening. I was cheering for him to, but the window is closed.

Mike Sauer.

People were saying the same exact thing a few years ago. I know. I was one of them.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Mike Sauer.

People were saying the same exact thing a few years ago. I know. I was one of them.

Ryan Bourque is not better than Fast. Moore is the center. Glass is never getting benched permanently.

Sorry, just not seeing it. I also do not recall every season people saying, "This is the year Mike Sauer makes the bottom-pairing!"

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
My logic is that the Rangers have had a couple of chances to bring him up for spot duty - to see how he looks against NHL'ers - and they haven't done so.

Is it strong logic? No, of course not. But its better logic than depicting a minor league playoff push as something thats more important than McIlrath's NHL development.

McIlrath was up earlier this year when 4 D were out and my last memory of him was getting burned by Tarasenko and then falling down when he tried to recover. Not that he played poorly overall, but that is what I remember.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am a big Ryan B fan, always liked his play. Think that he is, or was, closer to the NHL than ppl imagine but injuries have done him in. Classy move to give him a shot.

Also think it's cap related. We have acted like we have zero cap room lately, and summers and RB are the cheapest options.

With that said, I am a bit concerned about our depth up front. Our best options in HFD has very limited experience in NY. Lindberg and Klingberg. If we get 3-4 injured forwards, who plays? Seems unnecessary to not have 3-4 guys somewhat in the run from my POV. Shepp/Glass and Mueller are locks (OL are very inexperienced to play in the POs, think Mueller gets the nod above him). Lindberg after that I recon. Or? Chris Bourque? Really Ryan Bourque? I would have liked to see more guys down there with more NY experience.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ryan Bourque playing with no. 25. Some good players have used that number in the past as a Ranger. Mario Marois, Peter Sundstrom, John Ogrodnick and Petr Prucha are just some of them. Chad Kolarik was the last in 2011 but a special mention goes out to the late Alexander Karpovtsev. Karpo won the Cup with the Rangers in 1994 and was 1 of the fatalities in the 2011 plane crash that cost the lives of the entire Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Happy for Ryan. I prefer bigger, more physical players on a 4th line (at least on this Ranger team). If your talent does not bang bodies....and you need to bang bodies...you put some body bangers on the 4th line. Ryan would have to replace a Fast on this Ranger team (which ain't gonna happen)...not play alongside him. One small guy is enough on our 4th line for me.

He'll probably suffer the same fate as his bro...solid in the AHL, but no dice in the NHL.....unless he can find his way into another organization where he would be a better fit. Just my 2 cents.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Imo the same guys are back next year upfront except shepppard who will make too much as a ufa

So Nash, brass, zuc, step , msl, kreid, hags, Hayes , miller , fast , moore, glass then it's either bourque or klingberg , maybe a mueller if glass still plays full time .

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Imo the same guys are back next year upfront except shepppard who will make too much as a ufa

So Nash, brass, zuc, step , msl, kreid, hags, Hayes , miller , fast , moore, glass then it's either bourque or klingberg , maybe a mueller if glass still plays full time .

If Bourque continues to impress you have to think they ship out Glass at that point...

It's a $886,000 cap space savings by just swapping Glass for Bourque...

and another $700k if they sign a UFA backup for $700k and trade Talbot for assets

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Bourque continues to impress you have to think they ship out Glass at that point...

and another $700k if they sign a UFA backup for $700k and trade Talbot for assets

The only way the Rangers ship out Glass is if McIlrath becomes a regular. If Boyle agrees to be shipped, they can also trade Glass, who will have less than half the real money remaining and only 2 years on the contract, so he'd become tradeable. If rookies McIlrath and likely Hrivik replace them, we save $4.5. Another $4.5 saved if St. Louis signs a $1 contract plus bonuses that slide to the next year. And the cap should go up $2.5 or so. That gives us $11.5 space for salaries.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I'm thinking Talbot goes for a 1st or 2nd plus later picks. Sign Gustavsson or Fasth for 1 million or less

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ryan has officially been returned to Hartford. Not sure why they kept him out of tonight's AHL game.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Ryan has officially been returned to Hartford. Not sure why they kept him out of tonight's AHL game.

Must be that MZA playing or not was too late to complete the transaction within leagues time frame ( despite early game)? Or he hot banged up a little? Lord knows...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad