Waived: [NYR] F Tyler Pitlick waived by the Rangers (cleared)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Welcome back Tarasenko
NyR cannot bring him back w retention, per CBA
Couldn’t afford to bring him back without

“Tarasenko can't rejoin NYR w retention, having been NYR reecntly. CBA 50.5 (e) (iii) (C) (4) “

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sucks cause the guy works his ass off every shift and has since the preseason but I guess he's just not that good.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

“Tarasenko can't rejoin NYR w retention, having been NYR reecntly. CBA 50.5 (e) (iii) (C) (4) “

This is wrong. The CBA pertains to reacquiring contracts - not players. As Tarasenko's contract expired and he became an unrestricted free agent, there is no ability to "reacquire" the contract. Thus he can be traded for with retention.

It's a moot point since I would be shocked if we went that route, anyway.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Somebody smarter than me probably already broke that down (@mouser likely) , but I wonder if that would be arguable since it is a new SPC that is involved. It wasn't an SPC that the Rangers traded to Ottawa and are then trying to reacquire.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Somebody smarter than me probably already broke that down (@mouser likely) , but I wonder if that would be arguable since it is a new SPC that is involved. It wasn't an SPC that the Rangers traded to Ottawa and are then trying to reacquire.
It would be fine.

The Rangers acquired Tyler Motte on March 21st, 2022. They didn't re-sign him. He signed with the Senators and in February 2023 he was traded to the rangers again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's a limited depth player, but I hope someone claims him

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Has he ever even been waived a single time before?
You're right he hasn't which is amazing considering he's played for 8 different teams in the past 8 years and is now on his way to playing for the ninth.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This is wrong. The CBA pertains to reacquiring contracts - not players. As Tarasenko's contract expired and he became an unrestricted free agent, there is no ability to "reacquire" the contract. Thus he can be traded for with retention.

Been discussing this for weeks, and i included the pointer to the precise CBA clause as there are always folks who think it cannot be true
CBA 50.5 (e) (iii) (C) (4) “
Agreed its a new contract
Thats not relevent here

Read the CBA paragraph. Obviously written by league office and lawyers explicitly as intended - a player may not be acquired with retention by a team he’d been part of during prior year.

It seems to be there to prevent collusion and Cap avoidance, ie NYR collude w OTT to sign Tara then send him back w retention.

I dont care much if readers believe it, or not, just sharing with the group for consideration relating to topic.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The NHL has interpreted that "reacquire" in 50.5(e)(iii)(C)(4) means reacquiring the Player, not reacquiring the specific SPC which may have expired. The illustration in C(4) doesn't matter--it's only an illustration of one possible scenario, not an exhaustive list of all possible scenarios.

Teams cannot acquire a player in a retained salary transaction if the player was on that team's reserve list within the previous calendar year (i.e. 365 days).

Reactions: AslanRH

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The NHL has interpreted that "reacquire" in 50.5(e)(iii)(C)(4) means reacquiring the Player, not reacquiring the specific SPC which may have expired. The illustration in C(4) doesn't matter--it's only an illustration of one possible scenario, not an exhaustive list of all possible scenarios.

Teams cannot acquire a player in a retained salary transaction if the player was on that team's reserve list within the previous calendar year (i.e. 365 days).
Thanks
We saw this apply, IIRC, last summer, when DeAngelo was rumored be returning to Canes w retention against the new deal he’d signed w Flyers.
Because of this clause, League wouldn't allow it,
Canes wouldn’t assume Full Cap Hit, so Flyers didnt get an asset back,
Flyers released TonyD, and Canes signed him at near league minimum

Reactions: mouser

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He'll play... in Laval.
... in Montreal. Tyler Pitlick doesn't make them better. If they wanted him for organizational depth they could have signed him to a two-way deal in 2022.

As they're still in sell mode, spots in the roster deserve to go to players in the system. If there are a rash of injuries, then they can look at the waiver market.

Gignac would also have to pass through waivers, further reducing the point of the claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad