Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Barclay Goodrow signs with the Rangers (6 years, $3.642M AAV)

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Goodie was awesome in SJ and was happy to see him be a part of winning 2 cups, but there’s no way I’d be comfortable with signing him to 4m a season, much less for 6 years.

He’s a good defensive forward who is physical and can occasionally chip in a greasy goal, either a decent 3W or 4C, but paying 4 mil to a guy like that isn’t good value.

To put it in perspective, he was playing as SJs 1-2C for a stretch of the season and only scored at a 32 point pace.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'll throw up if he's over 3M. Spending that sort of money on bottom-6 forwards is how you get in trouble.
Is it? It's not the top 6 players who get over paid and fall back to reality? Or the top 4 d man who end up being cones? Last thing I am worried about is spending on a bottom 9 that can actually play.

Reactions: topshelf15

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'll be really disappointed if he signs before free agency but if its even close to the 4M range than I completely understand him signing now.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He is 28 and yet to score 10 goals or 25 points... overrated player. Coleman is the one teams should have traded for.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He is 28 and yet to score 10 goals or 25 points... overrated player. Coleman is the one teams should have traded for.
What makes him overrated? Are you calling him overrated compared to contract he might receive or that he's an overrated player? I don't think Tampa is ruling out Coleman yet. He's probably going to cost more. Rangers don't have a top 9 winger position open yet, and paying that for Coleman to play 4c is a waste. I wanted Coleman, but only if Buch is moved and Chytil or Coleman is taking the wing/3c spot.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Goodrow getting traded to Tampa has probably earned him an extra $10-15 mil in career earnings.

I’m a bit confused what the Rags are doing though, this has to be a pre-emptive move, right? Because now they’ll have:

Krieder, Buchnevich, Kakko, Lafreniere, Panarin, Goodrow and to a lesser extent Gauthier, Blackwell, and Kravstov. Another winger seemed like one of the last things they needed.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I would've wanted Goodrow back, and there's no doubt that some of the skills he does bring are elite, especially in terms of penalty killing and shot blocking. It's hard to find that level of fearlessness. But do I think he's worth $3.5M or more? No. Do I think he's worth a 5-6 year contract? No. I'd rather find the next Goodrow around his previous contract than pay the actual Goodrow this much. It's the point where he goes from a valuable asset to an overvalued asset.

It also makes me wonder just what Coleman's going to get in free agency, too. You'd have to think whatever Goodrow gets, Coleman can do better.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Should be 3Mx3-4 at the absolute most. Love Goodie, great bottom 6 guy and PKer but I think NYR are going to overpay here

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Goodrow sure wont have a NMC so if he starts sucking in 3-4 years and he has a 6 year contract, NYR can just bury him in Hartford.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Loved the idea of Lemieux when NYR acquired.
But he didn't deliver - didnt distract much, didn't deter much, didn't get noticed much.

Goodrow sure looked like better player during Tampa Cup runs

Ok thanks! Just wanted some info but some of you fellow Rangers fans were a bit rough in their answers lol, haven't really watched Lemieux play

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
What makes him overrated? Are you calling him overrated compared to contract he might receive or that he's an overrated player? I don't think Tampa is ruling out Coleman yet. He's probably going to cost more. Rangers don't have a top 9 winger position open yet, and paying that for Coleman to play 4c is a waste. I wanted Coleman, but only if Buch is moved and Chytil or Coleman is taking the wing/3c spot.

The contract he will receive. I think NYR is overrating him as shown by trading for his rights. He will be overpaid and has leverage now.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Goodrow getting traded to Tampa has probably earned him an extra $10-15 mil in career earnings.

I’m a bit confused what the Rags are doing though, this has to be a pre-emptive move, right? Because now they’ll have:

Krieder, Buchnevich, Kakko, Lafreniere, Panarin, Goodrow and to a lesser extent Gauthier, Blackwell, and Kravstov. Another winger seemed like one of the last things they needed.

I mean Goodrow’s taken 2500 career faceoffs and is around 50%. It’s not like he can’t play 4C, which the Rangers drastically, drastically needed to improve.

They have Zib who is borderline elite and Strome who can produce but is a liability defensively. Chytil is 3C right now but they’re trying to groom him to takeover 2C. They need a 4C who can take important D zone draws, play the PK, slot up when needed.

If it’s Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov for example, and the line is flat or needs a shot of energy, I can see Goodrow getting double shifted as 4C and Panarin’s opposite wing to do puck retrievals and bring some energy, in the same role Jesper Fast and Colin Blackwell filled the last two years.

He fits the Rangers specific team needs like a glove. In fact he may have more value to the Rangers than he would to other teams based on how precisely he fits their needs.

Reactions: Saitama

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I mean Goodrow’s taken 2500 career faceoffs and is around 50%. It’s not like he can’t play 4C, which the Rangers drastically, drastically needed to improve.

They have Zib who is borderline elite and Strome who can produce but is a liability defensively. Chytil is 3C right now but they’re trying to groom him to takeover 2C. They need a 4C who can take important D zone draws, play the PK, slot up when needed.

If it’s Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov for example, and the line is flat or needs a shot of energy, I can see Goodrow getting double shifted as 4C and Panarin’s opposite wing to do puck retrievals and bring some energy, in the same role Jesper Fast and Colin Blackwell filled the last two years.

He fits the Rangers specific team needs like a glove. In fact he may have more value to the Rangers than he would to other teams based on how precisely he fits their needs.

Paying your #4C $3-4 mil is quite the premium, especially if it’s a long-term contract as rumoured. Only way it makes sense is if they believe Goodrow can slot into the #3C moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad