Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] F Barclay Goodrow signs with the Rangers (6 years, $3.642M AAV)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As a Devil's fan I like this deal haha. Coleman is going to get paid wherever he ends up with as a example of what a 3rd liner can fetch on the open market. Thing is Coleman is a better overall player than Goodrow. Not an awful deal but 6 years for a role player is risky when you will be tight on cap for now and tbe foreseeable future. Interested to see how he works out for the Rangers. Good player to add to a team that will be plenty skilled and probably be a cup contender soon.

Coleman's at least 2nd line caliber player who is far closer to a 1st (if he isn't already) than a 3rd. He just plays on the PK rather than PP so people don't realize that. Goodrow is an actual 3rd liner.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Got to pay the Cup winner tax. Too much AAV and term but anything under 4 million is unlikely to be an anchor, even in a flat cap world.

Course you need some bargain contracts to offset that and this is the NYR we're talking about.

Reactions: ultra63

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
You win the cup by having depth players like Goodrow.
Yeah for less than 1 million. Paying four times that is rough especially for that term. I would've welcomed him back on the Lightning for 1-2 million.

Unless you think the Rangers are going to be cup contenders within the next two years, this is a bad deal. There is a reason why Tampa has exactly zero contracts like this.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah for less than 1 million. Paying four times that is rough especially for that term. I would've welcomed him back on the Lightning for 1-2 million.

Unless you think the Rangers are going to be cup contenders within the next two years, this is a bad deal. There is a reason why Tampa has exactly zero contracts like this.

What do you mean? You guys were over the cap by a mile. Luckily that loophole rescued the Lightning. Without it, you most likely wouldn't have Kuch or Stammer playing in the playoffs or many depth players.

Goodrow is a need for the Rangers. They have plenty of kids on entry contracts so this deal isn't that bad.

I for one am happy to have him on board. I guarantee you he would get a similar AAV on the open market if not more.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
81.5/23 = 3.543per.

Seems like this is not so bad.

Term is a bit long, and ideally I'd like to have him at 3 or under, but its an average deal for a 3rd line C/W that plays the way we need.

Anything else is people flapping their gums

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
81.5/23 = 3.543per.

Seems like this is not so bad.

Term is a bit long, and ideally I'd like to have him at 3 or under, but its an average deal for a 3rd line C/W that plays the way we need.

Anything else is people flapping their gums
Obviously most dont prefer locking up bottom-6 long term, but the game is going the way of security for everyone, as players keep getting better on average and spreading scoring (never used to be strategically three scoring lines, for example)

My idea deal would have been five years, 3m flat AAV. But were now debating over 650k, though we have to because you cant say that until its 650k extra every contract.

This deal isnt anywhere near as bad as Kreider's or Trouba's (if they maintain the level of play or worse that theyve been at since signing)

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
What do you mean? You guys were over the cap by a mile. Luckily that loophole rescued the Lightning. Without it, you most likely wouldn't have Kuch or Stammer playing in the playoffs or many depth players.

Goodrow is a need for the Rangers. They have plenty of kids on entry contracts so this deal isn't that bad.

I for one am happy to have him on board. I guarantee you he would get a similar AAV on the open market if not more.

Other GMs willing to make the same decision doesn't make it a good one. In this case you're essentially buying a stock after it's already risen 390%.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah it's those types of deals that are not THAT awful in isolation, but you just hope your GM doesnt add too many contracts like those.

As long as the Rangers have two more Goodrow's on the cheap (elc or other), they should be fine

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't know who Chris Drury reports to within the Rangers organization, but the moment he went to his superior seeking approval on this contract for Goodrow, the very next words spoken from his boss should've been "We're going to have to let you go, Chris"

Seriously, does Drury have a sister? And if so, did anyone within the organization check to see if she was engaged to Goodrow?

These types of contracts have proven time and time again to be detrimental, it's incredible that a GM at the NHL level could be so reckless with their team's future cap space

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know who Chris Drury reports to within the Rangers organization, but the moment he went to his superior seeking approval on this contract for Goodrow, the very next words spoken from his boss should've been "We're going to have to let you go, Chris"

Seriously, does Drury have a sister? And if so, did anyone within the organization check to see if she was engaged to Goodrow?

These types of contracts have proven time and time again to be detrimental, it's incredible that a GM at the NHL level could be so reckless with their team's future cap space
If you want to retain im sure there could be a deal to bring him back to Tampa.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
How did I miss this contract lol

Doyle really went crazy this summer didn't he?

Really gave out a worse version of the Beagle and Roussel contracts

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

For the next 6 years or what?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

I'd say Tanev is one of the few cases where the 3rd liner be worth the UFA deal.

Reactions: Jackpot Jaret

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
What's it been like 3 games lmao... can't already be calling it a terrible contract. Sure, he cashed in but it's not a massive overpay. Maybe 500-750k.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What a signing!!!! Amazing what he adds to the youngest team in the playoffs.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad