GDT: NYR at CAR

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
On 23th Feb we going to Dallas. They are 1-4-1 in last six games. Stars face Blues before our match against them. Man, they are struggling. That's not good sign for Canes.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hamilton has always been a better shooter than Faulk. On occasion Faulk has more velocity but sometimes has little more control on it than the holy Babs. Hamilton has more accuracy from in closer and as mentioned before has better vision for passing lanes and poise overall with the puck. He can put a bomb on net and if given some time to get used to it again I think he could score from out there. He doesn’t have the speed to cover up a major gaffe but Faulk really doesn’t either.

Dougie is simply a more offensively dangerous player and always has been. It’s never been tried. I wouldn’t say it as often if it had been tried and failed. He’s our best weapon from the back end even before he was playing well. Now that he’s playing well you should be riding him. Rod did tonight, Slavin switched out for Faulk in the last minute and Hamilton was left on for a very long shift to finish the game. His coach knows the value.

Rod sees something in Faulk or presumes chemistry is too late to change. Faulk has had a good season, but Dougie should at least be given a shot. He should actually be given the months long chance Faulk has but we know that for some reason the leash would be shorter. Regardless it should be tried.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Recap: Canes Edged by Rangers

Lundqvist, Rangers snap Canes' three-game winning streak

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
"We worry about one day at a time, one game. That's all we've done. We're not going to change," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "That was our best game we've probably played in seven or eight. It just didn't work out. If we come with that mindset and play that hard, I think we'll be where we want to be at the end of the year."
Just as the difference in the Hurricanes' two wins over the weekend was their goaltending, so too was goaltending the difference for the Rangers tonight.
Lundqvist stopped 43 of the 44 shots he saw, including the flurry of 18 that came his way in the final period.
"[Lundqvist] was good. Our guy was good. Both goalies went at. He made a few more saves, especially at the end," Brind'Amour said. "It's a tough loss because we played well enough, a good 60 minutes, but we just didn't score."
"We had a good mindset going into the third period. … It just didn't happen. We hit a couple posts tonight. It just didn't go our way," Williams said. "We had a lot of chances to win, that's for certain. It didn't go our way. That was a big one we let slip away."
"Just unfortunate bounces there," Brind'Amour said. "Hockey's random like that sometimes."
Recap: Canes Edged by Rangers

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Sebastian Aho played 26+ minutes tonight.
Captain Justin Williams is logging huge minutes as a 37 year old.

Reactions: SlavinAway

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Some of you people are f***ing ridiculous. They played a really solid game and got stonewalled by a Hall of Famer playing like a Hall of Famer.

Nope.

This team lacks fight. They run the same ****ty lines out there and Rod is in love with Failk, the teams 7th worst D man. This isn't a playoff calibre team.

Go away. Seriously.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think they played much worse the last 3 games and won. Last night wasn't their best game, but they easily could have won. That's just how it shakes out sometimes. Don't get some bounces, not the best reffing, other team makes some plays and has a great goalie. It's gonna happen. Like I said after the last loss, they're gonna happen, move on, and kick ass again next game.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Father-Son Road Trip: More bonding for these Jerks! ;)
Staal is going to be a 'Free Gift' for the 'Canes.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think they played much worse the last 3 games and won. Last night wasn't their best game, but they easily could have won. That's just how it shakes out sometimes. Don't get some bounces, not the best reffing, other team makes some plays and has a great goalie. It's gonna happen. Like I said after the last loss, they're gonna happen, move on, and kick ass again next game.
That's kind of my thoughts, the loss sucks but it was honestly the best game they played of the last bunch. They previously won games they really should have lost from their crappy play, and now lost a game they should have won. And unlike earlier in the season where we ran into "hot goalies", this time it legitimately was a hot goalie stoning us (along with a few gaffes and too much passing)...whereas earlier in the season it was just 99% gaffes, muffins, chest shots, and piss poor shot selection.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Side Note: I really want to say we should just start running other team's goalies like they do to us, because apparently goalie interference is so vague it's a 50/50 shot regardless of whether you touch them or plow through them (last 5-6 games really show that). That said, the last time we touched a goalie, Svech got a ****ing goalie interference penalty...and it was less interference than what Calgary got awarded a goal for

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Would you say we are a bit Jerkyll & Hyde with this?

I'd say that irrationality typically descends on this board for about half an hour after a loss. They're immediate "hot takes" that are mostly fueled by anger and disappointment.

Then everyone cools down, most of the venting is done, and then most can look at the game (whichever one that might be) somewhat objectively.

And it's not just us. Checking out a GDT immediately after a loss on any of the boards has some of the most ridiculous comments thrown about, blame being tossed around, etc. But again, most of the time, a more rational look at the game comes by (eventually).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Side Note: I really want to say we should just start running other team's goalies like they do to us, because apparently goalie interference is so vague it's a 50/50 shot regardless of whether you touch them or plow through them (last 5-6 games really show that). That said, the last time we touched a goalie, Svech got a ****ing goalie interference penalty...and it was less interference than what Calgary got awarded a goal for
Addendum: Don't have rookies do the running.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I couldn't agree more. Be ready to kill one penalty every game that is the result of a forward skating at light speed directly into the opposing goaltender.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I couldn't agree more. Be ready to kill one penalty every game that is the result of a forward skating at light speed directly into the opposing goaltender.
We don't want to sacrifice the runner or else we'd end up with the last Jedi.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I wonder how it feels to be Martinook . You just signed a 2 million dollar contract and you're leaving everything on the ice trying single handily to will this team into the playoffs.

And then you see Mikey Ferland making $1.75 million who looks like the least interested person on the team for the last 10-15 games. He's looking forward to July 1st more than the playoffs.

Can't wait t see him go. His attitude and consistency stinks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wonder how it feels to be Martinook . You just signed a 2 million dollar contract and you're leaving everything on the ice trying single handily to will this team into the playoffs.

And then you see Mikey Ferland making $1.75 million who looks like the least interested person on the team for the last 10-15 games. He's looking forward to July 1st more than the playoffs.

Can't wait t see him go. His attitude and consistency stinks

I'm truly sorry to hear about your dog. The loss of a pet is always a difficult thing. My condolences.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Didn’t Faulk hit the post on the PP after the puck grazed Hank’s jersey?

For all the bemoaning of the PP and Faulk specifically, they are 8th in the league in PP% since January 1. Tied for 6 in total PP goals scored over that time frame.

11 of those 14 goals were scored by the top unit. It’s not like it’s been a wasteland that demands immediate change.

The only way to put Hamilton on that unit is to play him in a position he has never played (at least in the NHL) and frankly he ismt better suited for than Faulk or drastically change what the 1st unit plays like. Aho plays the spot on the ice that Hamilton would be best occupying. Aho isn’t moving.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Hank got a piece of it with his glove. It was a hell of a shot which, unfortunately, has been rare.

My frustration with Faulk on offense and PP is most of the time he slaps a bomb wide or hits the goalie square in the chest. On top of that he is not great at keeping the zone and had several passes last night that got picked off in the middle and could've easily been a short-handed breakaway.

Our 6-on-5 at the end of the game last night looked worlds more dynamic than any PP we've had recently. I would give up Faulk's slapper to have more of that consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad