GDT: NYR at CAR

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's called 10 years of missing the playoffs, is what it's called.

You were provided examples of other playoff teams doing exactly what the Canes did tonight. Actually, probably not exactly, since tonight was mostly about Lundqvist stealing a game and other teams have had much worse losses to worse teams.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Can't say I find much fault in the their game tonight. Henry stopped at least 3 grade As (that come to mind) that probably go in most nights. The blast by Faulk is in the net if lundqvist doesn't somehow get a smidgen of his glove on it, and that was a damn rocket. The hardest shot I've seen him take in a long time. It sucks, but there are 22 games left and we're still 1 pt out of a WC spot.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
We knew we weren't going to win every game and that eventually we would run into a hot goalie again. Still a tough loss considering the upcoming March schedule. Need at least a point vs. a team like the Rangers.

Rod really needs to get the PP and the other combos right once Staal comes back because who knows when he'll change them again next time.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Dude, why is everybody freaking out? This team has been playing great lately. It played great tonight. They lost by a goal. They are loose, confident and everything is clicking. This is the year, folks. Or maybe this is spring 2011, but either way it beats every year since then.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I’m really baffled how Faulk is the guy getting shit in here. You’ve got 6 forwards playing in the top 6. They had zero points. When that happens, you lose. Pretty simple.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I’m really baffled how Faulk is the guy getting **** in here. You’ve got 6 forwards playing in the top 6. They had zero points. When that happens, you lose. Pretty simple.

I'm not buying it. You get it. I'm not sure what your angle is, but I know you better than this. Our power play is leaving goals on the table and it's costing us points. Faulk is getting Grade A chances and he's not burying them, when we have a more effective player at his position who would bury those chances. And that doesn't even begin to touch his defensive ineffectiveness, which didn't hurt us tonight, but hurts on a fairly regular basis. Do we need more from our forwards? Sure. Would be nice. But we need more from our "offensive defenseman" when we're struggling to score.

He also took two stupid, awful, third-period penalties tonight that would have gotten a young player benched.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Hamilton is a great goal scorer, but he doesn't have the type of point shot that will make a difference on that 1st unit. Think about how he scores. It's generally skate down into open space, get the puck (if he doesn't already have it) and pick a corner. Those opportunities are limited in a relatively static in-zone offensive situation like a PP.

Having a RHS from the half-wall capable of keeping the defense from cheating over to Faulk and Aho with a one-timer would make a real difference. That's not on the roster, though.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
Was there. Felt canes played poor. Too mamy turnovers on both sides. Hank won the game for the rangers bar none though. Just move on to the next game. Canes were due for a loss like this with all the media coverage.

Reactions: Wolfpack Cane

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Hamilton is a great goal scorer, but he doesn't have the type of point shot that will make a difference on that 1st unit. Think about how he scores. It's generally skate down into open space, get the puck (if he doesn't already have it) and pick a corner. Those opportunities are limited in a relatively static in-zone offensive situation like a PP.

Having a RHS from the half-wall capable of keeping the defense from cheating over to Faulk and Aho with a one-timer would make a real difference. That's not on the roster, though.

I'm talking about the fact that Hamilton is a better hockey player than Faulk. He moves the puck more crisply and cleanly. He's more mobile. He's faster. He's more skilled. He sees passing lanes better and is a significantly better passer. So we lose 10 mph on our fastball. Big deal.

Plus, the power play doesn't have to be "relatively static." When Hamilton's on the ice, he's always moving. If anything, our power play is *too* static. Guys get open when Hamilton is out there. Doesn't happen with Faulk.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He also took two stupid, awful, third-period penalties tonight that would have gotten a young player benched.

1 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd.

It's odd to pin the loss on a guy who wasn't on ice for a goal against and whose largest personal f*** up was a whiffed pass on the power play. He doesn't fit well on the power play, but that doesn't mean it's his fault they lost.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
The problem w/ Faulk is that when he is on the ice we force it to him for his shitty shot. Sure it's hard but it's not very accurate. It's as much Rod's problem as it's Faulk. When Hamilton is on the ice we don't force the puck to him and the movement is better and less predictable. Hamilton makes better pinches as well. It's entirely on Rod's misuse and even though I think Faulk is a decent player I think his leaving will benefit the team.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
1 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd.

It's odd to pin the loss on a guy who wasn't on ice for a goal against and whose largest personal **** up was a whiffed pass on the power play. He doesn't fit well on the power play, but that doesn't mean it's his fault they lost.

First of all, nobody is pinning the loss on anyone. He contributed to an awful power play, and shot a wide-open chance right into the goalie's chest. He also took two penalties, which I would consider his two "largest personal f*** ups." We also struggled to finish as a team, which is our MO, and we didn't get engaged physically.

Not all of this is on Faulk, but again, my biggest issue is that we have a guy on the bench who is better than Faulk at the job Faulk is currently doing (poorly). In that way, I pin this loss on the head coach. He's the one who keeps tossing No. 27 over the boards every chance he gets. It's not Faulk's fault he doesn't fit on the power play, it's Brindy's for putting him there.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
First of all, nobody is pinning the loss on anyone.

He's the most mentioned player over the last dozen pages.

He contributed to an awful power play

Sure.

and shot a wide-open chance right into the goalie's chest.

Wow. Faulk shot it and it didn't go in.

Come on, Faulk had a bad game, Hamilton should on PP1 over him, but this is a ridiculous point.

Not all of this is on Faulk, but again, my biggest issue is that we have a guy on the bench who is better than Faulk at the job Faulk is currently doing (poorly).

And literally no one on this board disagrees with you on this point.

It's just funny how the 'Canes lose one game and everyone gravitates back to the scapegoat.

He contributed to an awful power play

League median powerplay is a nice, even 20% conversion rate. With two chances, that's a 36% chance to get one goal, which is still a 64% chance to get not a single goal.

Point being I think people in general overestimate what a "decent" powerplay is. 'Canes are 23rd in the League right now, 3% points behind League median/uber offensive team Dallas.

Last edited:

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
I still believe. This time we actually did lose to a hot goalie. We have 2nd rounders and prospects. The market is flooded. Go get a goalie, a winger, and a center. Get rid of Faulk.
I like that idea but Don already stated he only wants to do a player for player trade and not trade picks or prospects. Fleury or Faulk would be my guess to go but idk how much we can get for Faulk if he continues down this path of play.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I can't complain about the effort. This team is different, they care, they fight. Miss opportunity in a night where Sabres/Flyers/CBJ take the L but it's far from over. Calm down.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We will win.

I believe.
I blame this guy for putting me in mind of Rainbow's Stargazer. They spend nine damn years building a tower of stone with their flesh and bone to see the wizard fly, and then the damn jerk falls instead of rising and then all there is is blood on sand like it was damn Spartacus or something.

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad