Confirmed with Link: NYR Acquire Jacob Trouba for Pionk and 20th Overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think we'll see only two of ADA, Shattenkirk and Fox in the lineup, though. I'm hopeful that Fox will be the best option of that group.
I think that is reaching a bit too far, but I also believe that DeAngelo may be a top-5 PPQB and I get that others don't share my opinion there. I legitimately don't see a big difference between DeAngelo and Erik Karlsson on the powerplay; their styles, strengths and weaknessess align pretty much perfectly.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The focus and consistency. The ability to really take over a game.

Trouba, at his best, is an excellent defenseman. Personally, I think he's a tier below the elite. A lot of the tools are all there, but I don't know if they've quite come together to reach that higher plateau.

I do have many of the same concerns I had before the trade. I think certain fans are thinking they're getting Lexus, when they're probably getting a higher-end Camry XLE. If you accept the latter for what it is, you'll be fine. If you keep insisting it's a Lexus, and that's your expectation, it's probably going to leave you wanting at times.

He probably is. But expectations aside even if we assume he gets ~8m per that is basically the going rate for that tier, or more accurately that should be the rate by the time the extension kicks in.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, we need to have the correct expectations for the player. To me, he's a #2 D, actually putting him 2 tiers below the elite (those tiers being elite -> #1 D -> #2D -> #2D only when with the right #1D partner).

He's still a legitimate 1st pairing D, but not the guy you build the whole D to follow.

That being said, most defensemen have their best years between 26 and 30, so we might still have better to come from him. We will see.

I'd be happy if he can settle into that McD type territory. Obviously, his game has differences, but that range would be a huge win for this team.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did you post this word for word?

This wouldn't be as ridiculous a coincidence as the Jas/Bobcat Goldthwait thing but I am still afraid to look.
Pretty much close to word for word. But you would need to find it within my other rumblings.

No worries. People whose former names I can remember, get a free pass.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lindgren at best will be a bottom pair / 7th D man.
I think he'll eventually become a very solid 4/5. Whether that's here, with our current depth, remains to be seen. He's tough, is a great physical player despite his size, very strong, skates very well, isn't much of an offensive threat but excels passing the puck out of the zone. His defensive acumen is excellent, and I think that in time, just like fellow Minnesotan Mike Sauer, he can learn to join the rush and contribute ~20 points.

I thought that on many nights Lindgren was the best defender in Hartford, and I remember quotes from either Clark or McCambridge stating as much. He was recalled because he was the best defender down there. He's forgotten because he's not flashy, but he's still a really solid prospect.

It will piss me off in the prospect polls when he drops to #20 or something.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lindgren at best will be a bottom pair / 7th D man.

I agree with the range, but think we might be overlooking the importance and/or the elements that could bring good value to that role.

It's kind of like discussing fourth line centers. There are guys who you role out there and they're more then serviceable. And then there are the guys who bring a unique element to that role, that compliments the three centers playing ahead of them, and gels with a pair of wingers.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
You. Not we. I've been saying for a decade that many fans in our fan base do nothing but trash our defenseman and let the forwards off the hook. Which is why when you go around on these boards, every other fan base thinks the defenseman on this team are garbage.
This is so true and I’m glad someone said it, but other fan bases do the same thing more or less, no?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Don't sleep on Lindgren.

He's definitely still in the mix, especially because he brings an element the others don't have.

Lindgren, if he pans out, is the type of guy that teams look for in the playoffs. Obviously he's not leading the defense, or eating 30 minutes a night, but he gives you the opportunity to change things up from guys like Fox, or ADA, or whoever. You put him out there, let him wear down the other team, and then send your offensive drivers to back the other team against the ropes. You make other teams have to vary their strategy against you, and you try to keep them off-balance.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I think an underrated aspect of this trade is that Skjei will significantly benefit and increase his value if paired with Trouba. I think their styles will be great together.

Reactions: RiffyNYR61

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
These assumptions are always made whenever an important player is required and rarely pan out.

In this case, I think there's a decent possibility regardless of whether or not they're paired together.

Even if they're playing apart, I think Skjei benefits from sliding down to that second pairing role. That's where he's done his best work thus far.

If they happen to click, even better.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
These assumptions are always made whenever an important player is required and rarely pan out.
You’re right, but I made the assumption based on their styles. And this just feels different too. Skjei can be a good defenseman. We know that, but he has trouble sometimes. Trouba is not only great defensively, but will most likely allow him and Skjei to spend more time in the offensive zone, which I think Skjei can still do well in. Skjei will also not be counted on to face higher competition if he’s not paired with Trouba.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
By the way, my profile pic of Quinn was his reaction to Pionk's spinorama end-to-end goal on the Habs.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I agree with the range, but think we might be overlooking the importance and/or the elements that could bring good value to that role.

It's kind of like discussing fourth line centers. There are guys who you role out there and they're more then serviceable. And then there are the guys who bring a unique element to that role, that compliments the three centers playing ahead of them, and gels with a pair of wingers.
Fair, but for me personally those guys are easy to find. Finding top pair guys are way harder.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BoWmEn

Canadian Rangers Fan
Mar 10, 2012
Ontario
Excited for the trade and direction Gorton has this team going in.

(Edit:Had conference call video, but it was posted already sorry)

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I think he'll eventually become a very solid 4/5. Whether that's here, with our current depth, remains to be seen. He's tough, is a great physical player despite his size, very strong, skates very well, isn't much of an offensive threat but excels passing the puck out of the zone. His defensive acumen is excellent, and I think that in time, just like fellow Minnesotan Mike Sauer, he can learn to join the rush and contribute ~20 points.

I thought that on many nights Lindgren was the best defender in Hartford, and I remember quotes from either Clark or McCambridge stating as much. He was recalled because he was the best defender down there. He's forgotten because he's not flashy, but he's still a really solid prospect.

It will piss me off in the prospect polls when he drops to #20 or something.
No chance he becomes a 4.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I still can’t believe this trade.

I was thinking not too long ago about how Trouba is probably the closest thing to a Parayko that’s out there, and how thrilled I’d be to add him to this team for the next ~7 years.

What an unbelievable addition for this team’s future. We just added a linchpin on defense for an underwhelming UDFA and a decent first.

I should also say, though, that I wouldn’t be expecting 50 points out of Trouba. I think he may struggle to get significant PP time with Fox and ADA hanging around, and I definitely see us running four forwards on the first PP unit. I would think Fox at the top with Zibanejad occupying the other “point”.

I would be stoked with 30-40 points and standout defensive play. And I think that’s fair to expect.
And I'm happy to pay that player ~$8MM AAV in an environment where the Karlssons of the world get $11.5MM.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's definitely still in the mix, especially because he brings an element the others don't have.

Lindgren, if he pans out, is the type of guy that teams look for in the playoffs. Obviously he's not leading the defense, or eating 30 minutes a night, but he gives you the opportunity to change things up from guys like Fox, or ADA, or whoever. You put him out there, let him wear down the other team, and then send your offensive drivers to back the other team against the ropes. You make other teams have to vary their strategy against you, and you try to keep them off-balance.
His style of play also seem to mesh with what Quinn & Gorton are building. And frankly the way that JD was building his Blues & Columbus teams.

He can get lost in the shuffle, but what I loved from him from what I saw live last year, it that unlike our other defensemen he was actively defending players from coming to the net as opposed to just reacting to them while they got there. Also looked to be miserable to play against. I will take such a player on the third pairing any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad