Confirmed with Link: NYR Acquire Jacob Trouba for Pionk and 20th Overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We bust on you for your page long trades and faith in Nieves because we love you. Some of us, at least. As for the others, who cares. Keep posting when you can.

It is always nice to be loved.
back at ya.
the page long trades [usually not 1 trade but a series of deals] is to provide context
as someone a few posts above noted, at least they are entertaining

and it is a fine line between being crazy bern and the visionary who thought outside the box and was way ahead of the curve

anyhoo, thanks for the support on posting.
gotta run soon but see what I can do in advance of draft...

best

Reactions: Thirty One

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
All part of the fun of being a member of the cursed NYR organization.

There have been times where I've given thought to whether the Rangers made a deal with the devil for 1994.

The number of freak accidents, bad luck, etc. is higher than normal.

Between 1997 and 2008 we had two prospects die.

We had three first round picks have their careers cut short at age 20 or younger.

Brian Leetch, arguably the most talented home grown player in franchise history, was never quite the same after injuries at the age of 29. He we also the anti-Lidstrom in that he seemingly got old, fast.

Every team battles its share of bad breaks and adversity, but that's a heck of a lot to squeeze into a roughly 10 year span. Nor does it include losing guys Sauer in his 20s, the devastating injuries to Staal, the decline of McD during what should've been his prime years, and this team being completely banged up by the time they finally made it back to the cup finals in 2014.

At the risk of sounding entitled, a big part of me feels like the hockey universe owes us.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There have been times where I've given thought to whether the Rangers made a deal with the devil for 1994.

We had three first round picks have their careers cut short at age 20 or younger.

Brian Leetch, arguably the most talented home grown player in franchise history, was never quite the same after injuries at the age of 29. He we also the anti-Lidstrom in that he seemingly got old, fast.

Every team battles its share of bad breaks and adversity, but that's a heck of a lot to squeeze into a roughly 10 year span. Nor does it include losing guys Saur in his 20s, the devastating injuries to Staal, the decline of McD during what should've been his prime years, and this team being completely banged up by the time they finally made it back to the cup finals in 2014.

At the risk of sounding entitled, a big part of me feels like the hockey universe owes us.

It also doesn't include the freak Zuccarello injury in 2015.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Dreger's comment would probably have been better said that there were just a handful specific teams where he would sign an extension. The Jets could have sent him anywhere as a rental and he couldn't have stopped them. Nice to be on that short list. even nicer to have him here.

Seems like him and Skjei are good buddies. That probably didnt hurt either.

Deleted member 23124

Every team battles its share of bad breaks and adversity, but that's a heck of a lot to squeeze into a roughly 10 year span. Nor does it include losing guys Sauer in his 20s, the devastating injuries to Staal, the decline of McD during what should've been his prime years, and this team being completely banged up by the time they finally made it back to the cup finals in 2014.

Our luck previous to 1994 wasn't all that great either.....especially in 70s.

Reactions: bobbop

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Can someone descript JT play ? Defense first? Moving D, PP specialize? Thanks
Well rounded. Plays defense (a trait not often seen here in the last few years) and is sound positionally. Good puck handler, nice first pass out of his own end. Big shot. Does a lot of things very well, nothing stands out as exceptional. Hits, but does not run around a lot. Power play was a big plus last year. Because Big Buff was injured, he got on average just over 2 minutes per game on the PP and scored 18 points.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It also doesn't include the freak Zuccarello injury in 2015.
Don’t forget that ridiculously unlucky injury to Hank that was Murphy’s law incarnate.

I still can’t believe McDonagh’s stick lifted his mask *just enough* for that puck to hit him in the neck.

f*** our bad luck. We’ve been due for good things to happen to us, and getting the 2OA was hopefully the start of it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This kid is underrated honestly. Not many 50 pt Dmen that also play the role of shutdown dman and that’s what he does. He plays against all the best players. He is a top penalty killer. He always put up 5 on 5 pts last year he finally got legit PP time after never really getting the opportunity and sure enough puts up 50 pts.

Size skating physicality. Great first pass. I don’t know what the tool is that’s missing that keeps some from considering him an elite dman because he does it all. Really does.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don’t forget that ridiculously unlucky injury to Hank that was Murphy’s law incarnate.

I still can’t believe McDonagh’s stick lifted his mask *just enough* for that puck to hit him in the neck.

**** our bad luck. We’ve been due for good things to happen to us, and getting the 2OA was hopefully the start of it.

I'm still confused by that.

And this trade combined with the Fox trade, to be honest :laugh:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This kid is underrated honestly. Not many 50 pt Dmen that also play the role of shutdown dman and that’s what he does. He plays against all the best players. He is a top penalty killer. He always put up 5 on 5 pts last year he finally got legit PP time after never really getting the opportunity and sure enough puts up 50 pts.

Size skating physicality. Great first pass. I don’t know what the tool is that’s missing that keeps some from considering him an elite dman because he does it all. Really does.
Consistency. He needs to be on the ice. Whether it's injury or holding out

Reactions: Leetch3

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Clearly much too much to catch up on, so I will just skip to the end and outline my thoughts.

1. While all know of what my feelings regarding Trouba were (trading major assets AND signing for major dollars), I got to say that I feel like I did not read things properly. Surely there is another detail that I missed.
2. Again no matter what my feelings were, if in the beginning of last year you were to poll this board (myself included) regarding trading Kevin Hayes for Jacob Trouba, I am having a hard time of someone being the dissident. And now essentially the trade is Hayes & Pionk for Trouba AND Brendan Lemieux?
3. To be fair, I still have my concerns (having him be a #1 whereas he has not been before, the injury history, less of a supporting cast), this probably comes the closest to the Godfather offer that we have mentioned before. An offer that most (again I have not read all the pages to know where everyone stands) of us could say no to. Which is why I fear I am not reading things properly. Gorton held a gun and assured him that either Trouba's name or his brains would be on the paper.
4. The eye of Sauron is now fixed squarely on Kreider. Will Gorton sign him or move him? The sole way, at least that I can see, that Gorton can acquire another pick is by trading him. Guess we will know soon enough. I put it at 50/50. Still believe that if Gorton does not get a deal he likes, then he will have a frank conversation with team Kreider. If the dollars fit to what is in his head, Kreider gets extended. If if they do not, then he goes at some point and gets a 2020 1st. Given to how the Rangers are building, Kreider may just take what it takes to stay and help lead the team on the other side of the rebuild.
5. When not looking at Kreider, the Eye is fixed on Shattenkirk. I mean this HAS to be the writing on the wall, no? Unless Fox bombs in camp, there is simply no way that Shattenkirk should play ahead of him or DeAngelo, right? Unless they deal ADA, but truthfully I cannot see that. Gorton wanted him. Quinn invested so much time in him. He played great down the stretch.

The pundits said he could not be moved even at 50% retention. I cannot see another buy out to take on punitive dead cap space for 4 years. Especially when coupled with Girardi. Cannot see a Hartford burial either. Like I said though, unless Fox bombs in camp, one would assume that the right side would be Trouba, DeAngelo & Fox, while the left side would be Hajek, Staal & whichever wins of Lindgren or Rykov. And then sit Staal for some games and both of them play.
6. For those who want to get on Gorton, you are entitled to your opinions however by and large, he has been everything we would want the GM to be. Aggressive with what he wants, patient with what he needs and completely tone deaft to what papers or fans want and a clear vision of how he envisions the future. Could be he is the builder for whom we been waiting for ever since Neal Smith sold his soul for 1994?

What about Skjei?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Man, this is starting to settle in now.

This offseason has been one for the books. Getting a 25 y/o RHD top pairing D-man for very little in addition to our other signings. Wow what a whirlwind.

If they can move up into the top of the first and get another stud with a trade of Kreider and that opens a spot on LW for a right-handed 27 y/o Panarin - holy crap. Talk about changing the landscape and balance of your team quickly.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The focus and consistency. The ability to really take over a game.

Trouba, at his best, is an excellent defenseman. Personally, I think he's a tier below the elite. A lot of the tools are all there, but I don't know if they've quite come together to reach that higher plateau.

I do have many of the same concerns I had before the trade. I think certain fans are thinking they're getting Lexus, when they're probably getting a higher-end Camry XLE. If you accept the latter for what it is, you'll be fine. If you keep insisting it's a Lexus, and that's your expectation, it's probably going to leave you wanting at times.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
It's incredible to think that one year ago we didn't have a single player you could really call a building block for a championship team. In 3 days, we'll have 3 of them in Kakko, Zibanejad, and Trouba, with the potential to add guys like Kravtsov, Fox, Chytil, and Miller to the list as they develop.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Depending on how good Trouba actually is on the PP point (he had a difficult PP role in WPG before this last season) I'd say Fox is our 3rd or 4th best PPQB option right now behind DeAngelo, Shattenkirk and maybe Trouba. Penciling him in on the top PP unit is way too premature.
I think we'll see only two of ADA, Shattenkirk and Fox in the lineup, though. I'm hopeful that Fox will be the best option of that group.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The focus and consistency. The ability to really take over a game.

Trouba, at his best, is an excellent defenseman. Personally, I think he's a tier below the elite. A lot of the tools are all there, but I don't know if they've quite come together to reach that higher plateau.

I do have many of the same concerns I had before the trade. I think certain fans are thinking they're getting Lexus, when they're probably getting a higher-end Camry XLE. If you accept the latter for what it is, you'll be fine. If you keep insisting it's a Lexus, and that's your expectation, it's probably going to leave you wanting at times.

Yeah, we need to have the correct expectations for the player. To me, he's a #2 D, actually putting him 2 tiers below the elite (those tiers being elite -> #1 D -> #2D -> #2D only when with the right #1D partner).

He's still a legitimate 1st pairing D, but not the guy you build the whole D to follow.

That being said, most defensemen have their best years between 26 and 30, so we might still have better to come from him. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad