Nyquist goal

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Who do you guys will be better in three years, Nyquist or Brunner?
They are starting to remind me of Datsyuk and Zetterberg when they were rookies amongst Yzerman, Shanahan, Maltby, Chelios, Hull, etc, etc..
Maybe not in playing style, but just in bein two dynamic rookies who came out of nowhere..Redwings are always rebuilding in behind the curtains..

Aug 6, 2012
They are starting to remind me of Datsyuk and Zetterberg when they were rookies amongst Yzerman, Shanahan, Maltby, Chelios, Hull, etc, etc..
Maybe not in playing style, but just in bein two dynamic rookies who came out of nowhere..Redwings are always rebuilding in behind the curtains..

Nyquist easily. Brunner is hopefully a 25/25 guy in the next few years while I see Nyquist being a 25-30/40-50 guy.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012

Nyquist will be the better playmaker by a pretty significant margin while Brunner should be a slightly better goal-scorer. Gus producing 70-75 pts in his prime with Brunner churning out ~60 isn't too unrealistic.

Gus' game seems to be much more suited to be a threat on a more consistent basis.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
someone posted in playoffs section this video.

imo, nyquist is already better, and should still be in a few years.

petesrw

Apr 6, 2009
Nyquist will be the better playmaker by a pretty significant margin while Brunner should be a slightly better goal-scorer. Gus producing 70-75 pts in his prime with Brunner churning out ~60 isn't too unrealistic.

Gus' game seems to be much more suited to be a threat on a more consistent basis.

I would not be surprised if Nyquist is the better goal scorer as well. He seems to make a lot more chances on his own than Brunner does. Brunner scored most of his goals playing with Zetterberg, while Nyquist does everything without a better player's help.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Datsyuk used to be a weak player. What happens if Nyquist can develop the strength of Datsyuk? :rolly:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Datsyuk used to be a weak player. What happens if Nyquist can develop the strength of Datsyuk? :rolly:

That is the ultimate goal. If he can develop his core strength similar to the way Datsyuk did, he's going to be a legitimate first line type talent IMO. Still a big "if" though.

Datsyuk had/has better pure skill and vision/IQ, but Nyquist probably has the best stick skills on the team otherwise, while still having a good hockey sense and creativity. He also seems to have a real deceptive burst in his skating. In addition, Nyquist has shown some of Datsyuk's defensive stickwork with his takeaway ability.

We could be just seeing the tip of the iceberg with this kid if he continues to develop his body and game. But like I said earlier, those are still some pretty big "ifs".

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
someone posted in playoffs section this video.

imo, nyquist is already better, and should still be in a few years.

in both videos, I just love the little shoulder shake when they get by the defenseman to get the goalie to commit

amazing the likeness between them

petesrw

Apr 6, 2009
That is the ultimate goal. If he can develop his core strength similar to the way Datsyuk did, he's going to be a legitimate first line type talent IMO. Still a big "if" though.

Datsyuk had/has better pure skill and vision/IQ, but Nyquist probably has the best stick skills on the team otherwise, while still having a good hockey sense and creativity. He also seems to have a real deceptive burst in his skating. In addition, Nyquist has shown some of Datsyuk's defensive stickwork with his takeaway ability.

We could be just seeing the tip of the iceberg with this kid if he continues to develop his body and game. But like I said earlier, those are still some pretty big "ifs".

He looks like a first line player right now to me. His only knock is that he can be knocked down (compared to Datsyuk, who basically can't be), but even that isn't stopping him from creating great chances by himself every game. That third line really doesn't need to be touched, but like Babcock did by separating D an Z in game 7, he could throw a curveball one game and do something like put Nyquist with Z all game. There's nothing about Nyquist's game that would make me concerned about such a move. Adding strength would be awesome, but not having it isn't stopping him so far.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
in both videos, I just love the little shoulder shake when they get by the defenseman to get the goalie to commit

amazing the likeness between them

the moves are basically carbon copy of each other

but I dont think we have another Z in Nyquist. Z is the ultimate centerman that puts everything together.

Datsyuk and Nyquist have alot of surprise and deception in there game. Z is more of a strategist that oversees the whole ice in smallest detail and does what needs to be done to win. When the game gets tighter and tighter, player like Z shines more and becomes incredibly valuable. And we all know how much skill and will power Z has on top of that.

Nyquist serves more of pure offensive role than Z. Stevie Y and Fedorov were alot more similar to Z in that regard in my humble opinion.

Shawn Lutz

Oct 15, 2011
Rockwall TX
Nyquist is the first Red Wing player to get me going since Pavel. With Pavel you could see the raw talent and hockey IQ. I see the same with Nyquist. I was bummed when he started the season in Grand Rapids because we got a glimpse of what he could lats season. The puck follows the guy around, he can stick handle out of a crowded phone booth, reads and anticipates play well. He needs to add some strength and conditioning and put on maybe 15 lb more pounds but the kid is going to be a top 6 in this league for a long time if he can stay healthy.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Since he uses mobility as his weapon it be interesting how he is going to get stronger without getting slower much.

I dont think he should put heck alot of upper body muscle all of sudden.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
i've watched this goal about 100 times now lol.

nyquist has been my favorite prospect for 4-5 years now.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Talent aside, which he certainly has, I think that Nyqvist is in one of the best environments possible to develop his game together with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. He could very well develop into the next big steal of the drafts for Detroit.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, that goal was simply fantastic. And I don't even think Seabrook did a terrible job on the play either- he just guessed wrong on what Nyquist was going to do, and then Gus showed more patience than most veteran players in skating/waiting out both Seabrook and Crawford to complete the play.

I'll bet your local watering hole had a fair amount of dudes doing pretty solid imitations of Bickell and Shaw absolutely losing it, too :nod:

It was mostly a reasonable crowd that night, but I've seen enough here that I know there were Bickell and Shaw imitations happening all over Chicago haha.

Nyquist, and easily. Like nik jr, I think he's already better. Both have some development left and adjustments to make, but I think Nyquist will be the more effective player, both offensively and overall, even if Brunner ends up scoring more goals than him. Plus, in 3 years Brunner will be 30 and leaving his prime, while Nyquist will be 26 and in the middle of his.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Talent aside, which he certainly has, I think that Nyqvist is in one of the best environments possible to develop his game together with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. He could very well develop into the next big steal of the drafts for Detroit.
It's just like what people were clamoring for with Smith. Nyquist gets to play with his idol (Datsyuk) and learn how he does that stuff. He wore 13 in GR for a reason, and wears 14 now for a very good reason. :sarcasm:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Since he uses mobility as his weapon it be interesting how he is going to get stronger without getting slower much.

I dont think he should put heck alot of upper body muscle all of sudden.

Agred, he doesnt need much more size. Focus on some core strength and learning how Datsyuk shields the puck and avoids hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad