Nyquist goal

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Gotta get some video of that. That was a Canadian olympic dman he walked, thats the type of stuff Datsyuk was doing at his age. Dont think he'll be as good but he might end up better than a lot of us think

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
ZOJV9dk.gif

o9dgvOo.gif

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Ma boy Nyquist! :yo::yo:

Funny you mention Datsyuk. I think Nyquist and Dats they both play hockey somewhat similar way. They really think a lot on ice and try to anticipate what's going to happen. And then they position themselves very well to take advantage. They are both kinda sneaky in that way. Of course Datsyuk is a lot stronger and his unreal stick work and skill just make it work for him under many tight situations.

Also I think they like to play bit of mind game with opposition. Very deceptive.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Nyquist making a name for himself in the playoffs this year, another big goal out of him. Awesome game, sick effort outta Gus. Wanna see more of the same in game 4.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Funny you mention Datsyuk. I think Nyquist and Dats they both play hockey somewhat similar way. They really think a lot on ice and try to anticipate what's going to happen. And then they position themselves very well to take advantage. They are both kinda sneaky in that way. Of course Datsyuk is a lot stronger and his unreal stick work and skill just make it work for him under many tight situations.

Also I think they like to play bit of mind game with opposition. Very deceptive.
Nyquist's number was 13 in Grand Rapids for a reason. He tries to play like mini-Datsyuk.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Rofl I bet romers world is cursing up a storm right now. In our playoff series thread he was talking **** about saad owning nyquist and now kronwalled55 should lend him a few hats to eat atm I think.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Gus has been my favorite Wings prospect/kid/rookie for 5 years now. So glad to see him having success on the biggest stage. He walked Seabrook. Simply awesome.

Watched tonight's game in a bar full of Hawks fans in Chicago. Loved it. Watched one p'd off Hawks fan storm out of the bar with 2 minutes left without paying his tab haha.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005

nyquist is more offensively aggressive than datsyuk was as a rookie, which is very good. i also think datsyuk plays a slower style of offense.

he probably is not as skilled as datsyuk, but nyquist should become a 1st liner.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Great goal.

Babcock asked about that goal and the speed/quickness of Nyquist and he goes something like he is not fast and I am going like :amazed::amazed::amazed:
That goal was purely because the Hawks could not handle his speed.
Nyquist is maybe Our quickest player.

Our 3rd line is the reason we are winning games.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great goal.

Babcock asked about that goal and the speed/quickness of Nyquist and he goes something like he is not fast and I am going like :amazed::amazed::amazed:
That goal was purely because the Hawks could not handle his speed.
Nyquist is maybe Our quickest player.

Our 3rd line is the reason we are winning games.

That's the way it goes. We finally have depth now. Our 1-2 lines will shut the scoring to zero from both sides, so your 3-4 lines have to win their scoring against the other teams 3-4 lines to win those games. And that's what happening now.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007

i totally agree. nyquist plays in an incredibly similar manner to datsyuk except he tends to go for the shot rather than the pass more often than pavel. his stickhandling and takeaway-ability are very similar to datsyuk, and while he will never be as good as pavel (strength, hands, hockey sense, etc) he gives me a lot of hope.
another weakness nyquist may have as opposed to datsyuk is that he's much more likely to get steamrollered by someone. pavel is so hard to deliver a bone-crunching check to, even when he's making his moves. nyquist sometimes looks like a prime target to me, but since it hasn't happened yet, perhaps i'm just imagining it.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Dats is better at protecting the puck with his body, Gus has better speed. Both seem to have that great vision of knowing what they are going to do next. This is what Fils is missing. He makes a stellar move up the ice and then ends up skating in circles. You never see that from Gus or Dats, they know what they are going to do. Really fun guys to watch

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Nyquist plays similar to Datsyuk in terms of hockey sense and skill. Gus has a very high hockey IQ. Just like Pavel he'll sometimes make the play that the opposition wouldn't think of.

It's a little simplistic, but take Seabrook's comment from last night's game. He said he thought Nyquist would rush down the boards toward the corner and he had that covered, but Nyquist had the sense (and skill) to bring the puck in and also have the patience to out-wait Crawford to score.

He also has the skill and speed to make things happen. Another example from yesterday, solely with his speed he beat the Hawks backline and had a chance on goal in the first period.

I'm ecstatic with Nyquist's development and of course he has a lot to learn about the nuances of the game, but I think he's going to be an elite player.

What Pavel has is great strength for his little frame and those "intangibles" (I know I hate that word now too) that make him a top 3 player in the league (behind Crosby and Malkin). He has the work ethic that makes him the best two-way forward in the league and also a great attitude. Which is exactly why he's my favorite player. You cannot hate the guy even if you were the most vicious Red Wings hater out there.

One tiny complaint I sometimes have about Pavel is he seems to want to make things look so easy that he messes up a play trying to make it simple (if that makes sense at all). For example, he'll sometimes want to make a soft pass to a linemate but mess up because it didn't have enough power on it, but his concentration was off since he's obviously thinking of the next play already. But he makes up for it by working hard and retrieving it so my complaint is nothing really :D

I saw that happen twice last night. I even said "Oh come on, Pavel", but then he went on to retrieve it each time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I say "C'mon Pavel..."

Whenever his plays don't result in my jaw dropping. Because that's what I'm used to with him.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I say "C'mon Pavel..."

Whenever his plays don't result in my jaw dropping. Because that's what I'm used to with him.

:laugh: I'm right there with you, man. I'm just nitpicking because I've been around here for nearly four years now and it's corrupted my soul.

Aug 6, 2012
My favorite part about watching the Nqyuist aside from the obvious is his anticipation and his effort. He's one of those guys who always knows where the puck is going to be and when he doesn't have it he's playing his ass off to get it.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Gus has been my favorite Wings prospect/kid/rookie for 5 years now. So glad to see him having success on the biggest stage. He walked Seabrook. Simply awesome.

Watched tonight's game in a bar full of Hawks fans in Chicago. Loved it. Watched one p'd off Hawks fan storm out of the bar with 2 minutes left without paying his tab haha.

Yeah, that goal was simply fantastic. And I don't even think Seabrook did a terrible job on the play either- he just guessed wrong on what Nyquist was going to do, and then Gus showed more patience than most veteran players in skating/waiting out both Seabrook and Crawford to complete the play.

I'll bet your local watering hole had a fair amount of dudes doing pretty solid imitations of Bickell and Shaw absolutely losing it, too :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad