Speculation: Nylander XX - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The Canes have been scouting the Leafs since early in the season. They’re scouting someone off your roster. I don’t think you can say that they wouldn’t use someone off the roster in a trade.
pro scouting is really common and I can see why the Canes would scout the Leafs being that the Leafs have a lot of offensive depth that the Canes could use, but that doesn't obligate the Leafs to make any of those trades, and I think we can agree that scouting has not been regarding William Nylander as he hasn't been playing in any of those games. If the purpose of assembling a team is to compete for championships, it doesn't make much sense to me to take a team apart right at the beginning of its window to compete while everything is going well

I think the best explanation for all of the scouts being in attendance at once is that the Leafs have signaled that someone on the roster is available, and to me it would make sense for that to be Jake Gardiner being that it looks like Dermott is ready for his minutes and we're likely to lose Gardiner anyway. I could also see guys like Brown or Hyman being made available as the more expensive complimentary pieces that have their contracts due for renegotiation and raises in the next couple of years.

I don't think it makes sense that they are all there to find the additional pieces in a larger Nylander trade because Nylander is very valuable in a vacuum, and if the player we were to acquire for Nylander was more valuable than him the additional pieces are not likely NHL roster pieces but prospects or picks. That was the premise of that string of conversation, that it probably doesn't have anything to do with Nylander

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Somewhat but if the reports are true and he’s looking for north of $6-something then he can stay there. He’s a very good player but he is the last of “the three” that we can afford to overpay. He’s worth 6.3-6.7 based on comparables over 6-7 years. If he wants 2-3 years he’s worth less.

I want him back not for under value and not for over value. He’s worth somewherbos the kid 6’s IMO. His next contract is his big in, just like every other player coming off a rookie deal (McJesus excluded)

I would disagree and say he's worth 6.3-6.7 for 5 years.

You want to buy UFA years ? They come at a high premium.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
With the impending cap hell Toronto will face, I'd sign him for the rest of the season now (1 year contract) to boost value and make team better - and then trade him for something juicy at the draft.

Reactions: OTC

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
With the impending cap hell Toronto will face, I'd sign him for the rest of the season now (1 year contract) to boost value and make team better - and then trade him for something juicy at the draft.
If this was the plan, i'd sign him to a 3 year bridge and trade him at the draft....those extra 2 years at a lower cap hit will up his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad