Speculation: Nylander XX - all Nylander discussion here (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wait...do we know what the Leafs offer was July 1st ? September 1st ? October 1st ? November 1st ? December 1st ?

Do we know what's the contract Nylander signed for ? Wait...did he sign yet ?

Do we know what his ask was on all those dates ?

Before saying TML won...What if they offered 6M on October 1st ? What if Nylander ask was 8M a year on October 1st ? What if they sign for 7.25M a year on December 1st ? Toronto still won ? LOL

If I am Matthews I can expect Toronto to lowball me a 9.5/10M a year and I'll ask for 15M. Then sit and December 1st sign a 13M year contract and ''Toronto will have won''.
Sure, if you have license to make up numbers, anything is possible.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Druin alone is better than Nylander so just why

One comment saying Domi > Nylander and now Drouin > Nylander. Easy to say I guess when Nylander hasn't played this year, but the fact of the matter is Nylander's last TWO seasons have been better than any season either of those two players has had in their careers so I'm not sure how that logic comes about. They're both off to great starts this season sure, but you don't think Nylander would be sitting at 20+ points as well if he were in the lineup on this offensive juggernaut? Let's wait until Domi or Nylander actually have a better season than Nylander before anointing them the better player.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Sure, if you have license to make up numbers, anything is possible.

Well claiming Toronto Maple Leafs WON the deal between them and William Nylander while the contract still hasn't been signed, and no one has a f***ing idea of beginning, middle and final numbers, is very ''unicorn world magic kingdom'' type.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
One comment saying Domi > Nylander and now Drouin > Nylander. Easy to say I guess when Nylander hasn't played this year, but the fact of the matter is Nylander's last TWO seasons have been better than any season either of those two players has had in their careers so I'm not sure how that logic comes about. They're both off to great starts this season sure, but you don't think Nylander would be sitting at 20+ points as well if he were in the lineup on this offensive juggernaut? Let's wait until Domi or Nylander actually have a better season than Nylander before anointing them the better player.
Exactly my point, you don't think Drouin would possibly have 70, 80 + points playing with Mathews, or Marner? So it does not make Nylander any more valuable, in fact I would argue with Nylander signing for 7.5, or 8 Million Drouin would be more valuable. We live in a cap world, and salary can really hinder a players worth, case in point Price etc and many before him who's value went to basically zero after their contract. I am not saying Nylander will have no value, but it will definitely hinder how much he is worth.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Does anyone else think this is a sign now, trade in the offseason situation?

I'm guessing Willy does. :laugh:
If that was the case and what's been put out there that they're around 300,000 apart then why not just give him that money and sign him if a trade will happen. It's got to this point because the leafs want him on the team and Willy wants to be in Toronto

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Probably because at $7.25 a season, his trade value wouldn't be very good so they wouldn't get young guys that would replenish the system or a good cost controlled defender.

The Catch-22 here in terms of trading him is that his contract demands (if they are anywhere near what are being rumoured) could seriously diminish his trade value.

He's worth 7.25m AAV to me, it's just hard to argue he should get that from a historical perspective from his comparables. I don't think anyone denies his talent. It's just the way the league is structured, players don't cash out until they are UFA's- and we aren't setting precedents for these deals like Drai- especially when we have 2 bigger deals to sign next year.

Ultimately, I'm not losing any sleep over Nylander one way over the other. It's nice to have a luxury of wealth at this point on the Leafs- and his holdout has allowed Kapanen and to a lesser extent, Johnsson to flourish and develop under more minutes. If he doesn't sign, he'll hold out and we'll hold his RFA rights.

Though I do expect him to sign on on Sunday.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
If that was the case and what's been put out there that they're around 300,000 apart then why not just give him that money and sign him if a trade will happen. It's got to this point because the leafs want him on the team and Willy wants to be in Toronto

Well I'd say that the $300K rumours were....well, rumours. Even if they are true, though, it could affect trade value.

I think the "we can and we will" was more realistic in the offseason before Marner decided to become a world destroyer.

We'll see, though. If Marleau's contract ended after this season, I'd be feeling a lot better about it. :laugh:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
This Habs fan offers you:

Jeff Petry
Jonathan Drouin
2nd 2019

for

William Nylander
Jake Gardiner

Take it or leave it.

Easy no, I'd rather sign Nylander at 7.5m AAV then take that deal. 8 is pushing it. He's a special player with a lot of room to grow- moreso from a usage standpoint than developmentally- which is saying something. Hes just being greedy or perhaps inconsiderate of the team's future with his demands.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
at 11:59am--right

are leaf fans at least slightly concerned that he is still in Sweden?

Fax machines are a thing.. Agree to a deal and within 10 minutes the paper has been signed and returned and Willy books his flight to NA.

Does anyone else think this is a sign now, trade in the offseason situation?

I'm guessing Willy does. :laugh:

Last night on Sportsnet Friedman said essentially he thinks this is Willy's last year as a Leaf and so did Burke.

My take is, if he agrees long term to a deal at good value he will be too valuable for us to move from a cap perspective, especially if Dubas gave his word signing long term he would not be dealt I think Dubas keeps his word (he is known as a player's GM).

Now, if this results in a bridge deal and we know this will happen again in 2-3 years, I think they sign him, and depending on how he does this year on their run likely trade him and try to keep Gardiner and the rest of their depth while adding to some team weakness.

So really it's in his court.. Sign a bridge and get dealt or sign long term to what the team wants and stay.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Easy no, I'd rather sign Nylander at 7.5m AAV then take that deal. 8 is pushing it. He's a special player with a lot of room to grow- moreso from a usage standpoint than developmentally- which is saying something. Hes just being greedy or perhaps inconsiderate of the team's future with his demands.

Inconsiderate of the teams future? How so? If somebody flipped it around and said the team is being inconsiderate of his future wit their demands, would you agree?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I'm really done with Nylander, all of this would have been over it the kid wasn't stuck on that ridiculousness $8mAAV

If I was Dubas I wouldn't offer anything higher than $6.7AAV x 6 and I would only offer a 3yr bridge. Kid is RFA, pick one and live with it or sit and play for pennies in the KHL

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Massive Downgrade at winger and change one #3 dman with another one unnecessarily for a 2nd...

Classic habs fan proposal for sure.

It's actually not that bad of a deal. Petry would most definitely play with Rielly which would improve our top pairing, plus he's signed for two more years. Drouin would play with Matthews and his numbers would explode. Gardiner will be gone next year anyway and Dermott is ready to take 2nd pairing duties. It actually fills a couple of needs for the Leafs. Dubas would most likely ask for the Habs 1st instead of the 2nd though.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He's worth 7.25m AAV to me, it's just hard to argue he should get that from a historical perspective from his comparables. I don't think anyone denies his talent. It's just the way the league is structured, players don't cash out until they are UFA's- and we aren't setting precedents for these deals like Drai- especially when we have 2 bigger deals to sign next year.

Ultimately, I'm not losing any sleep over Nylander one way over the other. It's nice to have a luxury of wealth at this point on the Leafs- and his holdout has allowed Kapanen and to a lesser extent, Johnsson to flourish and develop under more minutes. If he doesn't sign, he'll hold out and we'll hold his RFA rights.

Though I do expect him to sign on on Sunday.
I would bet my life that doesn't happen. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad