Speculation: Nylander Thread VI - Return of the Agent (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't see why they wouldn't do a bridge deal. Well, maybe Toronto wants to avoid that but if William takes a bridge at $5, he has a chance to prove himself and get even more than $8m, be it in Toronto or elsewhere. If he doesn't wanna take a bridge deal because he doesn't believe in himself enough, then he should just sign for $6.Xm.

With zero improvement and zero inflation he is worth 6 already. Why would he sign for 5

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ok Leafs fans, How far off am I?
Ian Mitchell is a good RHD prospect, and the right side is loaded here. We have ours locked up for a while.
Saad has this year +2 more at 6M cap hit.
I think this is pretty fair personally.

EDIT:
To better fit the needs of the TML,
I have edited this to Saad+ Murphy for W. Nylander+cap dumps. If the Leafs have 10 M in cap space hanging around, let me know.
So the Leafs won't pay Nylander 7 mill but they'll pay Saad 6 mill? Get real

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There is a difference between playing 20 minutes and playing 20 minutes like a top pair D. So far HJ has played like a top pairing D. This is in line with where he projects.

You've never watched Cholowski play in the NHL.

Pronman said his ceiling is a 4 guys, move along here.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
So? Matthews has a 50% shooting percentage.

Nobody is saying he's going to score 5 goals every 6 games for his career, but he's a promising young 22 year old that plays a fast, physical, hustle game and is showing some scoring ability. He's not some "throw-in" on top of Pesce in this proposed lopsided deal.

Auston Matthews has a career shooting percentage of 16.9%.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Moving Kadri (who plays their tough defensive matchups as the 3C) to the wing...doesn't seem like a good idea.
They could just do a hybrid system were kadri still takes the brunt of the defensive responsibility , but if they manage to get nylander signed and still want to trade him you may as well make him Matthews center if you want to pump and dump

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
With zero improvement and zero inflation he is worth 6 already. Why would he sign for 5

He's worth 6 or 6+ over 7, not over 2-3. RFA averages are not actually representative of a linear worth.
See contracts to Reinhart. S and Kucherov. N

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You've never watched Cholowski play in the NHL.

Pronman said his ceiling is a 4 guys, move along here.

I watched him play at St. Cloud actually and have like his game (kid can skate and play a two-way game) but have not seen him this year.

Numbers only tell part of the story but his advanced numbers are not as good as HJ, it is early though.

1 person saying his ceiling is a 4 means very little.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I watched him play at St. Cloud actually and have like his game (kid can skate and play a two-way game) but have not seen him this year.

Numbers only tell part of the story but his advanced numbers are not as good as HJ, it is early though.

1 person saying his ceiling is a 4 means very little.
I'm just saying calling them #1 Ds right now is premature. That's it.
I like Joki a lot, I watch hawks games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So the Leafs won't pay Nylander 7 mill but they'll pay Saad 6 mill? Get real

I see this working more for the Blackhawks than it does for the Leafs. Leafs need a proven and reliable top 4D. Someone Babcock can trust and throw out there for 25 min +/- a game and he has some shutdown ability where he can clear the front of the net.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

AdvelPill

May 8, 2016
Hey, just because you guys gave up a star winger (Panarin) for Saad, doesn't mean the Leafs will too.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Toronto needs a hockey deal for a top pair guy that can play right now. They already have Liljegren coming. They need to win before cap constraints set in
Nobody's going to give them a top pair D for a winger. They could get a solid mid pair guy and a slightly worse forward. That was the basis for my Saad-Murphy proposal. However, that in and of itself probably would not work due to players needing to get paid and adding 10M to their cap gets them in trouble.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
And Matthews has a 50.0% shooting percentage.

Does your comment also applies to him ?

PS: Just saw that Boom Boom Apathy raised the same point.

As I said, Auston Matthews has a career shooting percentage of 16.9%. Not 50% as you are suggesting.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Toronto needs a hockey deal for a top pair guy that can play right now. They already have Liljegren coming. They need to win before cap constraints set in
How much cap can the Leafs realistically set aside for a top pairing guy?

A top pairing guy isn't cheap, probably looking at a cap hit similar to what Nylander is seeking. Then you add Matthews and Marner's raises (which could be higher than anticipated by the end of the year given the pace this team is on - i know i know 4 games in). A cheap top pairing guy signed to term likely doesn't exist for Nylander.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Ok Leafs fans, How far off am I?
Ian Mitchell is a good RHD prospect, and the right side is loaded here. We have ours locked up for a while.
Saad has this year +2 more at 6M cap hit.
I think this is pretty fair personally.

EDIT:
To better fit the needs of the TML,
I have edited this to Saad+ Murphy for W. Nylander+cap dumps. If the Leafs have 10 M in cap space hanging around, let me know.
Giving up Nylander with the main piece coming back is Brandon Saad? Absolutely not. These trade talks start and end with Jokiharju + for Nylander.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As I said, Auston Matthews has a career shooting percentage of 16.9%. Not 50% as you are suggesting.

Like I said, you missed or chose to ignore the point. I'm talking about his SH% this year on a small sample size, which is 50%. The same thing with Foegele who's SH% is based on a very small sample size. Your comment about his SH% was meaningless.

By saying he's scored 5G in 6GP, nobody is saying he's going to score at that rate for his career and score 70 goals. We are saying that in his short stint in the NHL, he's showed a scoring touch to go along with his fast, physical, two-way play and thus not just some throw-in. If you want to make silly SH% comments which are meaningless, then have at it.

member 262271

The trade talk is pretty dumb IMO - who's going to be the loser in the trade? Probably the leafs, hence, they won't do it.

No news though will continue the trade talk and proposals going on and on.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Like I said, you missed or chose to ignore the point. I'm talking about his SH% this year on a small sample size, which is 50%. The same thing with Foegele who's SH% is based on a very small sample size. Your comment about his SH% was meaningless.

By saying he's scored 5G in 6GP, nobody is saying he's going to score at that rate for his career and score 70 goals. We are saying that in his short stint in the NHL, he's showed a scoring touch to go along with his fast, physical, two-way play and thus not just some throw-in. If you want to make silly SH% comments which are meaningless, then have at it.

I suppose it comes down to how prefer your magic beans, in player or draft pick form.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I suppose it comes down to how prefer your magic beans, in player or draft pick form.

If there were only magic beans in that lopsided proposal, then you'd have a point, but it was Pesce, Foegele AND a 1st.

A young, cost controlled top 3/4 D: Not a magic bean
A young, rookie who is already on the 2nd line and looking promising: A bean that is starting to sprout
A 1st: Magic bean

It was and is a bad proposal no matter how you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad