Line Combos: Nylander > Kadri at Center

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd guess the odds are strong the Kadri goes to center.

At this point, Nylander is perhaps the better player, but Kadri is probably better at center than he is at wing, regardless of Nylander's ability at either position.

I could see Kadri being more effective during the playoffs than he has been during the regular season as things tighten up and obstruction is forgiven and speed is impacted. Kadri's lack of speed, in comparison, won't be as noticeable.

Exactly this. Even if ( and it's definitely no more than an if at this point) Nylander is as good playing centre as he is on the wing, it's extremely doubtful that Kadri is as impactful on the wing, a position I'm not sure he's even played in the NHL.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah for sure, I'm really happy that Nylander has done as well as he has at centre and it makes me wish Babcock was willing to experiment more with line combos. I remember one playoff series a while back when Scotty Bowman used I think it was 132 different line combos. Now that can only work when you're stacked with forward talent but I believe we are and I would so love to see teams try to cope with us throwing all these different combos at them.

That's not gonna happen of course but maybe, just maybe Babcock will try giving our big guns an extra shift now and then. Send out Matthews, Tavares or why not Nylander with the 4th line every now and then. I really hope to see Babs step outside his comfort zone this spring, it's probably not too likely but one can hope. :)
That's actually something I wish they would do. Rotate our top forwards on the fourth line. Never give the opposing team a moment's rest.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Babcock is a creature of habit.
Kadri will be C.
But during the playoffs, he should be ready for anything.
If Tavares with Matthews is the best way to beat Boston, do it.

We have the luxury this year.
Most of my point is we are losing that luxury quick.
We have 3 RFAs next year and 2 UFA D.
We also need a solid RHD.

When the time comes and if it’s Kadri to get it done, we have power with Willy at C.
Or it’s Johnsson trades and Willy moves back to wing.
But I like the Matthews/Tavares/Nylander configuration and I like Willy better at C.
As long as I like it right? He’s growing on me there.

Indeed he should be. I hope he is but I'm skeptical.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
His success at C is making things very interesting. I was leaning towards replacing Kadri with a cheaper 3C (Faksa/Wallmark) as a sensible way of balancing the books and restocking the cuboards, but a Nylander that can reliably drive play from the middle opens up options.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's actually something I wish they would do. Rotate our top forwards on the fourth line. Never give the opposing team a moment's rest.

Yeah I do too. IIRC this was discussed at some length here before the season started - just give our big guns a few extra shifts and the 4th line centre hardly has to play at all. It seems like such an obvious thing to try that should work and could pay huge dividends. I'm hoping against hope that this has been the plan all along but we haven't done it because we're pacing ourselves for the playoffs. You never know I guess, we'll see.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Imagine the leafs some how managed to trade Kadri for a top 4 D and clear Marleau and Zaitsev. I would be over the moon.

Pesce for Kadri

Use Marleau and Zaitsevs cap on Johnsson and Kap

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I don't know why people are so excited about trading for Pesce, I'm not sure he's an upgrade on Hainsey.

Kadri/Matthews/Marner
Johnsson/Tavares/Nylander
Ennis/Hy/Kappy
Moore/Marleau/Brown

Hy has been a center in college and he has that fantastic engine so I think he shouldn't be confined to the wing.

I like watching Marner PK, I wonder why the other superior players TO has don't PK as well like Matthews, Nylander, and JT? Marner's stats on the PK are unreal good but isn't that what should happen when superior players do anything.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
kadri is getting half the minutes he used to and plays with lesser talent now. his 2way game is better than nylanders and he is cheaper. everyone has short memories

Nylander is also getting less minutes and has gone from playing with Matthews to playing with Marleau and Brown and has looked fantastic doing it. Nylander looks to be the better player right now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nylander is just a better player in general. Means he should be playing beside Matthews/Tavares, and not playing 3L/2PP mins.
3rd line thoughts like the top 6/bottom 6, enforcer days should be gone.

I roll 3 scoring lines that feature skill, speed and aggression. There is no shutdown, no matchup, you match us.

4th line features your specialty players. PK and such.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Nylander is also getting less minutes and has gone from playing with Matthews to playing with Marleau and Brown and has looked fantastic doing it. Nylander looks to be the better player right now.
not a big enough sample size. calling to trade kadri is crazy and while willy is playyer much better, that cant be said for this season

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Exactly this. Even if ( and it's definitely no more than an if at this point) Nylander is as good playing centre as he is on the wing, it's extremely doubtful that Kadri is as impactful on the wing, a position I'm not sure he's even played in the NHL.

Kadri did start out as a winger, but that was because of Ron Wilson. When Wilson got the boot, they put Kadri at centre. He is a natural centre and I hope Babcock leaves him there.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
not a big enough sample size. calling to trade kadri is crazy and while willy is playyer much better, that cant be said for this season

Agreed, sample size is definitely small and I'm not calling for Kadri to be traded. We might never know if Nylander is a better center as when Kadri comes back Nylander might not touch the center ice position untill kingdom comes.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Said it in another thread... I think Kadri's game would fit perfectly on Matthew's wing, and give Toronto a dynamic top 6, and a 3rd line that still has punch. At the same time, I thi k the answer to Toronto's issue at 4C is actually on the roster already and would give Toronto the obvious top 1-4 C group in the league.

Kadri / Matthews / Kapanen
Hyman / Tavares / Marner
Johnsson / Nylander / Brown
Ennis / Marleau / Moore
Gauthier
Petan

I'd love to see that group over the last 15 or so games heading into the playoffs.
Kadri is a little to slow for matthews. He would play amazing if he was in hymans spot as a more skilled banger/ low cycle with JT

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I roll 3 scoring lines that feature skill, speed and aggression. There is no shutdown, no matchup, you match us.

I don't disagree, but while he's playing on the "3L/2PP", his icetime will be 4~ mins less on average than the other two.

He needs to be getting the top minutes for us to be getting the best value out of him. Love Kap/AJ/Hyman, but none of those guys should come close to him in icetime.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't disagree, but while he's playing on the "3L/2PP", his icetime will be 4~ mins less on average than the other two.

He needs to be getting the top minutes for us to be getting the best value out of him. Love Kap/AJ/Hyman, but none of those guys should come close to him in icetime.
That also doesn’t mean he’s pigeoned hole there either.
82 games is a long season. Injuries happen and that doesn’t mean at times in the game he’s not out with Matthews. That’s why it’s also good if Petan can play both. If Nylander jumps lines, someone can jump center.

But for a regular 3 prong attack, you have 3 guys who drive lines. And that makes the cap hit much more enticing with dual position.

There is no reason 3 lines can’t get 18 minutes a night especially when you have to cut cost on a cheap 4th.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

He got destroyed by Filipula yesterday.

When is Kadri back?

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Jonsson has taken Kadri's spot on PP1 and I think he'll stay there. Kadri will make PP2 more dangerous when he gets back and it might be good for him because they might move him on to the half wall vs the bump position he plays on PP1.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

well,,,,, this post did not age well

our 3 skilled lines got curb stomped last night,,,,,,, by men playing playoff style hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad