Speculation: Nylander IX - All Nylander Discussions HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Sadly not all of our teams can exploit the cap by paying less to our stars because they don't pay taxes.
Still crying about that, huh?

I won't address it, since it has absolutely zero to do with the actual discussion at hand.

Nylander feels he's worth certain money and certain term. Seeing a bunch of brats on a forum cry about how he's greedy and disrespectful is absolutely hilarious. As a Network Engineer, are you going to gladly accept less money than you feel you're worth because your company is tight on cash, or are you going to do what we both know you'd do and tell the company to pay you what you're worth and look elsewhere for employment if they don't?

It's not difficult to comprehend what's happening here. Teams exploit the players constantly and no one has anything to say, but as soon as a player looks out for himself, he's a villain. It's embarrassing.

Reactions: felixpettersson

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This is how I looked at it. That cringe worthy Shanahan statement "my memories of playing with my brothers were amazing", ignoring the salary cap didnt exist and him and all his buddies got paid and never took a discount.

I couldnt help but think why would this guy take a discount so next year or 2 years from now he is playing on a team not of his choosing and giving a discount to some organization he has no loyalty or ties too. Unless he gets a NTC/NMC why would you ever give a discount if your him?

To win?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He's pissed about the Tavares signing. Nylander always had his eye on being a center getting top minutes. That the Leafs went out and signed Tavares ended that dream in Toronto, and Nylander felt extremely disrespected about it. He looked at himself as the guy after Matthews to anchor the top six down the middle, and then he's treated like a throw away winger.

Now he's demanding heavy payment in compensation and as a tribute for what he feels was disrespect from the organization.

If that was his real attitude, I'd actually be first in line to trade him. You don't win with people with that attitude (unless they are passengers).

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I won't address it, since it has absolutely zero to do with the actual discussion at hand.

Nylander feels he's worth certain money and certain term. Seeing a bunch of brats on a forum cry about how he's greedy and disrespectful is absolutely hilarious. As a Network Engineer, are you going to gladly accept less money than you feel you're worth because your company is tight on cash, or are you going to do what we both know you'd do and tell the company to pay you what you're worth and look elsewhere for employment if they don't?

It's not difficult to comprehend what's happening here. Teams exploit the players constantly and no one has anything to say, but as soon as a player looks out for himself, he's a villain. It's embarrassing.

There is a massive difference between making 30,o00 / year and 60,000 / year/ That difference is not much of a difference for someone making 200,000 and 230,000. As this keeps going, is there really a difference between making 20x what a normal person makes in their lifetime vs making 22x? That is the argument calling him greedy.

And are you trying to tell me that Nylander is worth 8.5? He isn't. Draisatl isn't even worth 8.5. All Leaf fans are saying is, Tavares, Matthews, Marner are more important and they will get paid first. If Nylander wants to be on a winning team and be part of something special, all he has to do is take the market value being offered (rumored 6.5AAV). However he is holding out for money he is not worth because he is rumored to be scared that he will be traded.

If he still holds out after their meeting he will be dealt. Simple as that. The team is still elite without him. Worst case scenario he is dealt either for a defense upgrade or futures. Either way the cap issue is resolved and the team gets better in the long term.

Reactions: hullsy47

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

The problem with your analogy is that a network engineer is already at the top of their game, whereas Willy is looking to get paid on what potentially he could become; right now he's a 60pt player who wants to be paid 8M+ (so we've heard) and doesn't want to get lost in the shuffle when Marner and Matthews get their big-time money soon. Fact is, he's our 4th best player on the team and should be worried about what he can make now and not what the other two will get paid when they re-up. I get betting on yourself, but when you have no leverage and our team is not hurting without him in the lineup, it's pretty hard to play hardball and come out ontop.

This is why a bridge deal to prove he can excel even further over 2 more years (which we expect he will) and then get paid out max dollars like Kucherov makes the most sense for him (not the team); unfortunately his dad and agent are likely running the show over there, and for better or worse, it's going down to the wire.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I thought the number 9 referred to the amount he just signed, I'm disapointed but it's still probably be around that 9M

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

It's more like someone asking for CEO type money while working in middle management. Leafs hold all the cards right now, Nylander cannot play in the NHL unless another team offersheets him, he decides to sign for what Toronto is offering him or the Leafs trade him. He has no leverage in this situation.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I cant wait to see the trade return. Leafs are already ridiculously good without him... cant wait to see how much better the return makes them so games aren't 80's style anymore and just a plain old shitkicking

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I said the report was a bridge deal seems like the way it is headed. Unless you can produce evidence to the contrary.
I cant wasnt disputing. I didnt see any reports actually. Just wondering whats going to happen. I have him on my Fantasy team. If he isnt signed in the next week or so i am dropping him

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Protip: If the player feels like he's worth $7M, that's his worth to himself and if he's willing to hold out for it, more power to him for doing it.
If he is truly worth that, a team will send him an offersheet. Haven't seen that yet (possible he refuses to sign them because he wants to be in Toronto), so it leads me to believe that not many teams view him at the valuation he views himself.

Nylander isn't the bad guy for holding out.

The Leafs aren't the bad guys for not giving in.

Just two parties at an impasse and following the rules of the CBA.

Reactions: hullsy47

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
When Nylander comes back the Leafs have some nice duos on each line.

Tavares-Marner
Matthews-Kapanen
Kadri-Nylander

I imagine once Nylander gets back in the swing of things he'll go on that Matthews line, and maybe Kapanen takes the Marleau spot.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Lindholm-Johnsson

what a team...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There is a massive difference between making 30,o00 / year and 60,000 / year/ That difference is not much of a difference for someone making 200,000 and 230,000. As this keeps going, is there really a difference between making 20x what a normal person makes in their lifetime vs making 22x? That is the argument calling him greedy.

And are you trying to tell me that Nylander is worth 8.5? He isn't. Draisatl isn't even worth 8.5. All Leaf fans are saying is, Tavares, Matthews, Marner are more important and they will get paid first. If Nylander wants to be on a winning team and be part of something special, all he has to do is take the market value being offered (rumored 6.5AAV). However he is holding out for money he is not worth because he is rumored to be scared that he will be traded.

If he still holds out after their meeting he will be dealt. Simple as that. The team is still elite without him. Worst case scenario he is dealt either for a defense upgrade or futures. Either way the cap issue is resolved and the team gets better in the long term.
I mean he is really worth just a tad below larkin .
I doubt ud get larkin for him ,and dubas will say as much ,willy may learn a lesson here the hard way

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
If he is truly worth that, a team will send him an offersheet. Haven't seen that yet (possible he refuses to sign them because he wants to be in Toronto), so it leads me to believe that not many teams view him at the valuation he views himself.

Nylander isn't the bad guy for holding out.

The Leafs aren't the bad guys for not giving in.

Just two parties at an impasse and following the rules of the CBA.

Nylander case is evidence offersheets are dead. Its ridiculous how RFAs have basically no leverage. And UFAs are mostly garbage signings because players get there too old. And this is all going on while owners have implemented the cap ?

NHLPA is a joke.

Reactions: Slimmy

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Does anyone think in the next CBA the NHLPA will be pushing to give RFAs some sort of leverage?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Nylander case is evidence offersheets are dead. Its ridiculous how RFAs have basically no leverage. And UFAs are mostly garbage signings because players get there too old. And this is all going on while owners have implemented the cap ?

NHLPA is a joke.
That may be, but the NHL is a business. No team is going to handicap themselves just to be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad