Speculation: Nylander IX - All Nylander Discussions HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think it makes a lot more sense for the Leafs to sign Nylander to a bridge deal then trade him in say Summer2020 then to sign and trade now.

It's not out of reason that he could hit 70/80 points in a full season and that could be worth a fair bit in a trade. Basically, Nylander's value will be more in 2 years then it will be now ~ so what would be the real reason for trading him this season? Obviously both sides don't want a bridge, but if they can't find a deal then bridge makes sense.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think it makes a lot more sense for the Leafs to sign Nylander to a bridge deal then trade him in say Summer2020 then to sign and trade now.

It's not out of reason that he could hit 70/80 points in a full season and that could be worth a fair bit in a trade. Basically, Nylander's value will be more in 2 years then it will be now ~ so what would be the real reason for trading him this season? Obviously both sides don't want a bridge, but if they can't find a deal then bridge makes sense.
Ya these are my thoughts too. There is no way this management are going to sell early on Nylander.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'm shocked that leafs fans actually want to trade the guy.

Oh I don't, I want to bolster our already crazy forward group. I just want a fair market contract for him.

What he has done though, is sour my view of him (not that I matter for a second lol) but I won't ever really like him when he does come back.

I think a lot of our fans will feel this way

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
He's pissed about the Tavares signing. Nylander always had his eye on being a center getting top minutes. That the Leafs went out and signed Tavares ended that dream in Toronto, and Nylander felt extremely disrespected about it. He looked at himself as the guy after Matthews to anchor the top six down the middle, and then he's treated like a throw away winger.

Now he's demanding heavy payment in compensation and as a tribute for what he feels was disrespect from the organization.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's pissed about the Tavares signing. Nylander always had his eye on being a center getting top minutes. That the Leafs went out and signed Tavares ended that dream in Toronto, and Nylander felt extremely disrespected about it. He looked at himself as the guy after Matthews to anchor the top six down the middle, and then he's treated like a throw away winger.

Now he's demanding heavy payment in compensation and as a tribute for what he feels was disrespect from the organization.
I would think he sees the Tavares signing as a strong indication that he gets traded to either upgrade another area of the team to cut down on the cap hit.

Ideally the Leafs want to keep them all, but realistically that may not be possible.

So, not falling for the take less to play with your buddies as he can’t be guaranteed to be in the team as he’s not eligible for a ntc. So, he’s got to be happy with his contract whether he’s in Toronto or another team.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Right, signing Nylander to a three year deal would be beneficial in a few ways:
1) We get through next year with reduced cost, which is the biggest "squeeze" year with Marleau still on contract.
2) We get to see how Sandin and Liljigren develop, which will determine how much we will need to allocate to adding a defenceman.
3) We get to see how Nylander develops and get a better idea of his true trade value if needed.
4) The cap will go up with others locked up under contract, giving more space to re-sign..

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Oh I don't, I want to bolster our already crazy forward group. I just want a fair market contract for him.

What he has done though, is sour my view of him (not that I matter for a second lol) but I won't ever really like him when he does come back.

I don't fully blame Nylander for what's going on.

I have a feeling that this negotiation has been so difficult because the leafs don't want to set the bar at a high number based off of Nylander's raw totals over the past 2 seasons.

I have no doubt in my mind that paying Nylander $7+ million is a reasonably safe bet and the leafs probably feel the same way. The issue is that when you pay him $7+ million coming off a 61 point season, how much will you have to pay Marner next summer?

It's really a perfect **** storm for the leafs and Nylander.

Reactions: powerstuck

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I would think he sees the Tavares signing as a strong indication that he gets traded to either upgrade another area of the team to cut down on the cap hit.

Ideally the Leafs want to keep them all, but realistically that may not be possible.

So, not falling for the take less to play with your buddies as he can’t be guaranteed to be in the team as he’s not eligible for a ntc. So, he’s got to be happy with his contract whether he’s in Toronto or another team.
This is how I looked at it. That cringe worthy Shanahan statement "my memories of playing with my brothers were amazing", ignoring the salary cap didnt exist and him and all his buddies got paid and never took a discount.

I couldnt help but think why would this guy take a discount so next year or 2 years from now he is playing on a team not of his choosing and giving a discount to some organization he has no loyalty or ties too. Unless he gets a NTC/NMC why would you ever give a discount if your him?

Reactions: felixpettersson

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I couldnt help but think why would this guy take a discount so next year or 2 years from now he is playing on a team not of his choosing and giving a discount to some organization he has no loyalty or ties too. Unless he gets a NTC/NMC why would you ever give a discount if your him?

Yep and given he's not NTC/NMC eligible, it complicates the signing a bit more.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm shocked that leafs fans actually want to trade the guy.

I never thought I'd say this but I don't really care at this point to be honest. We are the best offensive team already without him and will continue to be in my opinion. I would not care if we got a decent number 2 or 3 defenseman for him for the next 5 years. He is displaying selfishness and only hurting his value by holding out, I don't care to have a player like that on the team and he clearly doesn't want to be here badly enough if 7 million isn't enough for him.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I could care less. It's business and he's entitled to exercise what little rights he does have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad