Speculation: Nylander III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
$40 million for a player of Tavares ability is not a lot. It's pretty much accepted that Tavares took a pay cut when he played with the Islanders so using his past contract as some indicator that Leafs players should be asking for more is simply incorrect.

And I bet in hindsight Tavares regrets giving the Isles those discounts.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Morgan Rielly - Drafted 5th overall 2012 (inherited)
Mitch Marner - Drafted 4th overall, 2015 (inherited)
Willy Nylander - Drafted 8th overall 2014 (inherited)
Auston Matthews - Drafted 1st overall, 2016
Nazem Kadri - Drafted 9th overall, 2009 (inherited)

Must be really hard to build a team when you draft in the top 10 four times over five years; including first overall.

Then you just pay the arguable best coach in the NHL a **** load of money, and use that disgusting roster of drafted talent and the coach to bring in the biggest free agent in the last 10 years.

But yeah --- best front office, they did a TON of work to build this roster through phenomenal trades and definitely didn't inherit just a boatload of top 10 picks. :)

Kadri and Rielly are the only two players in that list that were here before Brendan Shanahan. Under previous management teams, most Leaf fans would agree that Nick Ritchie would have been the guy chosen instead of WIlliam Nylander.

Ask the Oilers, Islanders, Panthers, Sabres, Coyotes how hard it is to build a team when you consistently draft top-5/10. If it's so easy, how are those teams still all so bad?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I wish Shanahan would of reflected on the times he took LESS money. Funny as hell.

This is the guys that signed an offer sheet the second he became a RFA, and if you look at his salary versus other players in the league on a year to year basis, he never took a discount ever.
That drw team at one point had 15m tied up in goaltending and was paying a 41 year old Chris Chelios 6m per year 15 years ago.

I don't see too many players today doing what Crosby did.

Reactions: dukeofjive

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Shanahan did not think his comment through before saying it haha. He's is possibly the worst example to use when encouraging someone to take a pay cut. Never mind the fact there was no salary cap when that wings team was together, they had a payroll that was twice as high as some other teams.

Reactions: BLONG7

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Detroit may not have had a Salary Cap, but they still had an internal budget, and I'd wager that the guys who signed on those Wings teams in the 90s could have easily gotten more money.

Reactions: marty111

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

From Nylander in regards to what the status is:

"Right now, I do not know more than all the rest of you. I have not received any message and have no contact with Toronto. It's my agent who takes care of everything."

Who is his agent, any other contract this agent been involved with? Why does not Willy know ANYTHING?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah--notice there is no cap on paying for all the nhl brass. How about a total cap that includes presidents, coaches, GMs, etc.? Or a separate cap hit for them. Then let's talk home town discount. The guys risking their bodies are not the ones who should be taking home town discounts until they have had a chance to have a couple good contracts. Talking to Brendan Guhle the other day--in his last year junior the closest away game was a 7 hour bus ride. Those guys pay the price to get to the nhl. Don't nickel and dime them on their second contract when you have capped the first one already.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
What's not going well for Nylander is that Marner and Matthews aren't in process of signing extension. If he knew how much of a discount they'd take and they signed together I think he'd be more receptive. Right now he's expected to take a pay cut first with no proof the other two will.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Shanahan did not think his comment through before saying it haha. He's is possibly the worst example to use when encouraging someone to take a pay cut. Never mind the fact there was no salary cap when that wings team was together, they had a payroll that was twice as high as some other teams.
Thought he was smarter than that.............bizarre turn of events, I wonder what the agents for Marner/Matthews are thinking right now? Guess Dubas has his work cut out for him....

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah--notice there is no cap on paying for all the nhl brass. How about a total cap that includes presidents, coaches, GMs, etc.? Or a separate cap hit for them. Then let's talk home town discount. The guys risking their bodies are not the ones who should be taking home town discounts until they have had a chance to have a couple good contracts. Talking to Brendan Guhle the other day--in his last year junior the closest away game was a 7 hour bus ride. Those guys pay the price to get to the nhl. Don't nickel and dime them on their second contract when you have capped the first one already.

Shanahan(2.5 mil rumored)
Babcock(6.25 mil)
Dubas(no idea)

"Hey Nylander, take discount"

I get it but man...Babcock didn't exactly take one and all these guys make comfortable money for less risk.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Seriously. Nylander is such a great trading chip. I'd trade either him or Kadri for a top pairing D to go with MR.
They'd likely have to wait awhile for a trade like that to become available. To the extent that teams are ever willing to part with top-pairing defenseman, they're just about never looking to do it this early in the season.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Shanahan(2.5 mil rumored)
Babcock(6.25 mil)
Dubas(no idea)

"Hey Nylander, take discount"

I get it but man...Babcock didn't exactly take one and all these guys make comfortable money for less risk.

How is it less risk? The average coach/GM role is way shorter than the average playing career.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
hypocrite much lol:

"We asked them to take less money here to make the deal work.”
Inside the Mind of Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis - Vancouver Magazine
Were those guys ufa or rfa guys? Matter of control. Those Canucks took less to play for Vancouver. When the time came to move on they called their next destination. Garrison waived to go to Florida. Bieksa waived to go to Anaheim. Kesler only wanted Anaheim or Chicago. So there’s a price to be paid should the team want to move on. Limited destinations to go thus lower trade value.

Leafs young guys have no such trade protection immediately. Lots can change in 4 years.

Shanny is telling them if you guys want to win with us and this group you have to take less. But the kids have no assurances that they won’t be moved. Nylander is always the one who tops leafs fans lists of who to move to upgrade the D or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad