News Article: Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The kid was on pace to break or come close to breaking records for scoring at his age. I think its pretty obvious that he's been on a VERY positive trajectory in the SHL this year.

Bringing him here? Who knows, maybe he continues to develop well and play well, or maybe the big change mid-season causes early struggles, which then lower his confidence, which then lead to more struggles.

I see it as taking him from a known situation (where he's been trending very well) and putting him into an unknown, where it could be positive or negative. I dont see downside to leaving him there until next season.

Maybe Nylander initiated the transfer? After his experience at the Worlds.

Asked last month by Sun Media if he thought the initial decision to play in Sweden was beneficial to his development, Nylander didn’t exactly provide a ringing endorsement of the move.

“For me it’s hard to say,†Nylander replied. “Who knows what would have happened if I had stayed over here?

“Hard to answer that question.â€

Without putting words in his mouth, you could make the argument that, judging by his comments, he would have welcomed the chance to remain on North American soil coming out of training camp.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
YEAH BABY.

This team is finally making smart decisions.....this feels so weird.

Of course randy being gone, rielly getting tons of ice and willy here should have been decisions made at the start of the season but better late than never.

Even if he starts in the AHL it's still the right move to get him here yesterday.

So good. I'm starting to like this team again.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Strange decision imo. Nylander was doing really well in the SHL and staying there for a couple more months would not have hurt his development. Perhaps they want to bring him over to evaluate exactly how well his set of skills translates to the NHL on this team. Might impact other decisions regarding other skill players?

showcasing him :sarcasm:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
EDM played the kids, and look where they got, they ruined their talent.

I don't like this move unless it is a few games to see where he is at and then to the marlies to develop on smaller ice.

He is not ready. He doesn't have the D side of things down yet, he needs to learn there are two sides of the puck, and we don't need Kessel's influence on him.

How did the Oilers ruin their talent? You realized the oldest of their talent is the same age as Kadri (Eberle), Schultz is the same age as Gardiner. Everyone else is younger (of their rebuild talent).

Anyway, I'm not disappointed in the recall.

Like I suggested the other day, in the old days they'd give their kids auditions if they earned them, it provided some enthusiasm for the veterans and fans alike.

I don't think it ruins kids, they might struggle and get sent back down, or they adjust and make it. Either they have it or they don't. Obviously, some kids are more ready at an earlier age, and some take 3-4-5 years before they can handle the NHL/are mature enough.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
showcasing him :sarcasm:

Yeah you never know but it seems as if the Leafs are really high on him so I doubt it.

But the Leafs wants to stay competitive and have an ok top six already. However, if Nylander already this season can show he is ready for the NHL that might make their decisions easier on who to keep in the current top six for next season.

If they do not play him in the NHL this season that will of course not be the case but if they do I think that is one of the reasons.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
free_willy.jpg

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
MODO (who is in last place) has 20 games left, they just fired their coach and it's the last day to make SHL moves before the league deadline.

Makes sense, however if he's gonna come over, Shanny please keep him in the A. We don't need him now - our offence is fine.

Save him for next year.

So he wouldn't have been in the playoffs in SweHL?

So makes sense to get him to North America to get more playing time?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
EDM played the kids, and look where they got, they ruined their talent.

I don't like this move unless it is a few games to see where he is at and then to the marlies to develop on smaller ice.

He is not ready. He doesn't have the D side of things down yet, he needs to learn there are two sides of the puck, and we don't need Kessel's influence on him.

That same someone wanted Clarkson, Bolland and other vets over promoting from within, so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I'd prefer he play out the season in the AHL with maybe occasional call ups.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I think it is safe to assume that he will get 9 games at some point.

And wow, I guess that the talk and rumours of him coming over after the WJC is pretty much right. Didn't expect that at all. I wonder if management had this planned the whole time or if MODO's current situation played a role in it (I am assuming it did).

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Don't see them trading him, we've had to have learned from that.

Maybe just to give the brass an idea of what they've got, and if he can help out while Lupul is hurt it sounds like it could be a good idea. Though it's not worth burning a year off of his ELC (especially with how we're up against the cap), so I'd give him 9 games at the most and then send him down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I joked he might defect after the games.

I didn't talk to him personally, but there was smoke about how he was used.
It wouldn't be the first time he engineered himself off a team when he wasn't happy. Draft year he was not happy how he was used and Daddy Nylander had him moved to a new team. Reminds me of what one of our favorite scouts said.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
@DamoSpin 53s53 seconds ago
Confrimed Leafs are recalling William Nylander. But they are recalling him to Marlies to start playing North Ameirican game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
@DamoSpin 53s53 seconds ago
Confrimed Leafs are recalling William Nylander. But they are recalling him to Marlies to start playing North Ameirican game.

I hope they plan to use him as a center. Nylander, McKegg and then Carrick as your top 3 centers is really really good.

TheDeez91

Dec 19, 2014
North Bay, Ontario
I think he is NHL or MODO, not eligible for AHL iirc.

Accorg to Thomas Drance of The Score, "Because Nylander was drafted out of the SHL, he's not subject to the terms of the NHL-CHL transfer agreement and is eligible to play in the American Hockey League."

I'm hoping this is where Nylander will land for the rest of the season. Maybe let him play for a bit with the Leafs, until our injury situation looks better. But I would say he finishes the season with the Marlies. Hopefully the play him with Connor Brown and see if these two can develop some chemistry for next year.

GO LEAFS GO!!!! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad