Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Play the Kids

Someone wise once said that.

Build through the Draft.

Someone wise also said that.

Welcome to Toronto Willie.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Play the Kids

Someone wise once said that.

Build through the Draft.

Someone wise also said that.

Welcome to Toronto Willie.

EDM played the kids, and look where they got, they ruined their talent.

I don't like this move unless it is a few games to see where he is at and then to the marlies to develop on smaller ice.

He is not ready. He doesn't have the D side of things down yet, he needs to learn there are two sides of the puck, and we don't need Kessel's influence on him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I hope its for the AHL, and that the Leafs arent looking to an 18 year old to help fix the team from its recent slide. He could very well play well at the NHL level, or he could struggle immensely and then get eaten up by media/fans. I dont think there's ANY downside to letting him develop at minimum a full season before bringing him up to the NHL (be that SHL, AHL, or whatever).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anyone besides Mike in Buffalo report this in NA yet? Hearing nothing on the radio.

It's reported directly from the Modo website... I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

Mike in Buffalo has the same info as we do.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The injuries up front may have instigated this. Try him out on the second line and hope he doesn't get creamed. :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hope its for the AHL, and that the Leafs arent looking to an 18 year old to help fix the team from its recent slide. He could very well play well at the NHL level, or he could struggle immensely and then get eaten up by media/fans. I dont think there's ANY downside to letting him develop at minimum a full season before bringing him up to the NHL (be that SHL, AHL, or whatever).

Who cares, throw him in the NHL this kids different. He's full of it not timid and eats the media up. For some players what you say is true but this guy was built for attention. He was made for Toronto.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I don't think anyone thinks he will be the fix of this team. I'm not sure why you think people will say he's a savior?

Likely just bringing a player closer to home. With the Leafs potentially sellers or at least in the midst of trading a core player or two in the following weeks, Nylander could very well be needed to play in a top 9 role and actually get meaningful minutes down the stretch.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd like to see confirmation from the Leafs that he is coming to Canada.

Well his loan was revoked as per Modo, so he's either coming to the AHL or NHL, or he's being loaned to another team but that's highly unlikely.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
MODO (who is in last place) has 20 games left, they just fired their coach and it's the last day to make SHL moves before the league deadline.

Makes sense, however if he's gonna come over, Shanny please keep him in the A. We don't need him now - our offence is fine.

Save him for next year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't think anyone thinks he will be the fix of this team. I'm not sure why you think people will say he's a savior?

Likely just bringing a player closer to home. With the Leafs potentially sellers or at least in the midst of trading a core player or two in the following weeks, Nylander could very well be needed to play in a top 9 role and actually get meaningful minutes down the stretch.

Depends on what moves are made. Leafs have struggled over the past 10-12 games and fallen in the standings, and then turned around and recalled Nylander. So if they put Nylander right into the NHL right after the team has been on a slide, and arent selling any players, it implies that they called him across the ocean to help stop the slide.

We'll have to see where they put him and under what context.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Depends on what moves are made. Leafs have struggled over the past 10-12 games and fallen in the standings, and then turned around and recalled Nylander. So if they put Nylander right into the NHL right after the team has been on a slide, and arent selling any players, it implies that they called him across the ocean to help stop the slide.

and with Lupul constantly broken it makes sense.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a peculiar move, Nylander can play 9 games with the Leafs before burning a year of eligibility.

I would kept him in the SEL for the entire year to develop.

Like to hear the reasoning from the Leafs on this one.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let him play the year if he looks good give him the JVR contract next season. Then trade Bozak to fund it ;)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think you're looking way too much into this. I think it's simply a coincidence.

Modo fired their coach. They are dead last. Bad situation to leave your top prospect in when he's basically your contracted prospect. They have the right to recall him, I think they did wise to do that.

I think it's just a matter of bringing him closer to home, perhaps getting NHL games here and there if needed while the Leafs are banged up. If the Leafs do end up trading away a couple players, Nylander could very well play really good minutes down the stretch if he shows he belongs. The Marlies could really use him as a center as well.

We'll see what's their plan but I highly doubt this is a move from Nonis/Shanahan to put their season on the shoulders of an 18 year old.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This is a peculiar move, Nylander can play 9 games with the Leafs before burning a year of eligibility.

I would kept him in the SEL for the entire year to develop.

Like to hear the reasoning from the Leafs on this one.

The kid was on pace to break or come close to breaking records for scoring at his age. I think its pretty obvious that he's been on a VERY positive trajectory in the SHL this year.

Bringing him here? Who knows, maybe he continues to develop well and play well, or maybe the big change mid-season causes early struggles, which then lower his confidence, which then lead to more struggles.

I see it as taking him from a known situation (where he's been trending very well) and putting him into an unknown, where it could be positive or negative. I dont see downside to leaving him there until next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad