Speculation: Nylander Discussion - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Cap hell?

No they really aren’t. Lucic and Russell are their worst contracts m, but neither relates to having star RFAs making good money like you suggest.
And LD compared to his peers LOL

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Because they sent an offer sheet. They put the target on their own backs this way.

Nylander can play out the year in Toronto under this hypothetical. He would be traded in the offseason, giving the Leafs his return and the cap space to sign their higher priority RFA’s
Nope.

Calendar year rule...

Reactions: nabob

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I mean when you look at Draisailt stats and Nylander , its literally the same , both played with franchise center.

Huh? Drai got 77 points the year before his contract. Nylander got 61.

That's like me calling Hyman and RNH the same

Reactions: nabob

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean when you look at Draisailt stats and Nylander , its literally the same , both played with franchise center.

Tbh if Nylanders up 61+ points and even more with Matthews as partner idk why he would only get 6m. Seems Ridic.

He wont sign for less because ''its Toronto'' lol.

Well not every team has bad GMs like Edmonton. We use to but not anymore so why do we have to follow bad decisions by other teams gms??

He's getting 6 or traded.. people on here saying its business and he's not greedy, nylander saying he has to look for his future...man a 22 year old turning down 6M a year and playing beside an elite nhl player that's only gonna make his next contract even better. Greedy to me.. love this kid but trade him to a bottom team see how he likes that and get us some defence.

Personally I'd love PK

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And LD compared to his peers LOL

His peers being players coming off a 77 point season and a dominant playoff run in their 2nd full NHL season? His list of peers is small. But includes guys like Eichel making $10M/season, RyJo and others.

You can LOL and try to derail this thread all you want. You’re only looking foolish doing so.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
For fun value wise?

Nylander + Liljegren + 2019 1st round pick

Seth Jones

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sure, after a calendar year has elapsed...

Also, try to find a retaliatory OS in the history of the NHL.
You would think it would be hard considering that only 8 have been signed in the last 20 years...

But actually, one of those 8 was retaliatory.

Vancouver gave an offer sheet to St Louis for David Backes. St Louis matched, and 7 days later, gave an offer sheet to Steve Bernier in Vancouver.

Swing and a miss.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
If Will Nylander were to be traded, which teams are willing to give up fair value, AND pay him Leon Draisaitl money?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You would think it would be hard considering that only 8 have been signed in the last 20 years...

Vancouver gave an offer sheet to St Louis for David Backes. St Louis matched, and 7 days later, gave an offer sheet to Steve Bernier in Vancouver.

Swing and a miss.

So 1/8. Where both offer sheets were low $$

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
If i'm the leafs:

Nylander + Liljegren +Gardiner for OEL.

-

OEL-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev

doesnt appear to solve much for the leafs? shores up defensive prospects and takes away their 2nd best dman albeit for a stud. Their defense would still be quite shallow without knowing how far zaitsev will bounce back

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Cap hell?

No they really aren’t. Lucic and Russell are their worst contracts m, but neither relates to having star RFAs making good money like you suggest.
So... you're trying to say that it's better to have useless dead weights making good money than star RFAs? Interesting, let's see if it works out for you.

Jan 21, 2018
Huh? Drai got 77 points the year before his contract. Nylander got 61.

That's like me calling Hyman and RNH the same

16 point difference between Drai and Nylander
McDavid >>>>>>>>>>> Matthews (According to everyone outside of Toronto)

So one player is a winger for a generational center, the undisputed best player in the world, while the other player is a winger for an overrated center according to some poll on hfboards. I'd say they are at least in the same conversation until one of them becomes a full time C.

Although that got me thinking...would Nylander outscore Drai if it was McDavid-Nylander and Matthews-Drai?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Does it disprove it ?

:dunno:

I don’t think you understand how the burden of proof works.

Offer sheets are exceedingly rare
Retaliatory offer sheets are even more rare

Carolina sending nylander an offer sheet could result in a retaliatory offer sheet from the leafs. Dubas has spoken of using offer sheets, it’s not a stretch.

It’s likely that one of the reasons offer sheets are rare is fear of opening that box from GM’s around the league.

When nylander signs his offer sheet, I’ll return and heap mountains of praise on you and your buddy nabob’s heads. It’ll be well deserved!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
16 point difference between Drai and Nylander
McDavid >>>>>>>>>>> Matthews (According to everyone outside of Toronto)

So one player is a winger for a generational center, the undisputed best player in the world, while the other player is a winger for an overrated center according to some poll on hfboards. I'd say they are at least in the same conversation until one of them becomes a full time C.

Although that got me thinking...would Nylander outscore Drai if it was McDavid-Nylander and Matthews-Drai?

Yet Drai outscored Nylander last season while centering his own line. So to answer your last question. No, he wouldn’t come close. Matthews has never outscored Draisaitl in a season...and is a much better playoff performer.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
4aE8nYv.jpg

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
His peers being players coming off a 77 point season and a dominant playoff run in their 2nd full NHL season? His list of peers is small. But includes guys like Eichel making $10M/season, RyJo and others.

You can LOL and try to derail this thread all you want. You’re only looking foolish doing so.
His peers don't get the added benefit of playing with McDavid. LD doesn't look too good when he's not playing with McDavid. This preseason has been a rough one with him, will be interesting to see how he does this year completely away from Mcdavid.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Swing and a miss.
2.5 x 1 year ?

Vancouver must have said "Darn it !".

:rant:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yet Drai outscored Nylander last season while centering his own line. So to answer your last question. No, he wouldn’t come close. Matthews has never outscored Draisaitl in a season...and is a much better playoff performer.
LD centered his own line like 55% of the time, the other portion was spent with McDavid.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don’t think you understand how the burden of proof works.

Offer sheets are exceedingly rare
Retaliatory offer sheets are even more rare

Carolina sending nylander an offer sheet could result in a retaliatory offer sheet from the leafs. Dubas has spoken of using offer sheets, it’s not a stretch.

It’s likely that one of the reasons offer sheets are rare is fear of opening that box from GM’s around the league.

When nylander signs his offer sheet, I’ll return and heap mountains of praise on you and your buddy nabob’s heads. It’ll be well deserved!

Offer sheets are rare because you have to overpay by a lot for them to be successful along with giving up tons of picks. Has nothing to do with anyone being afraid a a nerdy GM. Leafs won’t have the cap space to throw out a retaliatory offersheet anyway. Your whole stupid hypothetical scenario is a moot point.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
But I thought he’d never be traded and you could afford him? Now all of a sudden he’s available for a defenseman no less! Strange how everyone said that before the holdout except leafs fan base, with countless threads on the subject, but now it’s acceptable, and it was probably your idea in the first place even!

It's still not Tanev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad