Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I never thought Nylander would be a top 10 scorer in the NHL.

Can you imagine if he continues to improve upon his previous season? All players have a peak, perhaps Top 10 in 2024 is it for Nylander? Averaged 1:00 Sh TOI/GP on the PK, first year doing that.

What a great pick by Nonis. Glad Burke was gone by then or it might have been another truculence pick.

It absolutely was an amazing value pick.

He's increased his career peak 3 seasons in a row. Will be tough to top 99, but we'll see

Thommie Bergman and the Leafs Swedish scouts are worth their weight in gold. Leafs tend to get the best value for their picks there (even like a 7th for Engvall was a great return.

Though imo I doubt Nonis at that point was allowed to staple two pieces of paper together without Shanny's approval (but that's another matter lol).

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
If Willy had some undisclosed injury why in the f*** was he playing

To get a 100 points , I hope not.
Playing through injuries even for utterly meaningless games is a proud Leafs tradition. I'd still like to know if it's team doctors saying it's just a flesh wound or the players being stupid/stubborn, though.

Reactions: ruaware41

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep, can likely say that about every draft, except Matthews.
Unless you'd do Tkachuk and Fox for Matthews?
Rantanen is only 22 points behind marner (but ~68 more goals), and trading back to 10th. probably gets you 2 extra picks.

Burke would have traded Nylander for the 1970's.
Speaking of Burke. I still remember Murray looking to move up and take Kadri and Burke saying we are taking him. Murray then took Zibanejad, who turned out to be the better player IMO.

Edit: My bad, they took Cowan. Krieder went #22 and ROR in the 2nd round. Burke blew the rest of his picks that draft. They played a total of 25 games for the Leafs and 34 in total.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kadri turned out to be a good pick, probably the correct pick.

Tavares the only PPG player that draft, that I can see, just like Nylander was a good pick at his spot. Point or Pastrnak better option?
Yeah Kadri was a HR. If they had a redo, Hedman would go first IMO.

Given the scouting reports, Nylander was the correct pick at #8. Somebody would have to be in the know about Pasta and Point in order to pass him up Nylander for #25 and #56.

Imagine trading #8 for #25 and #56 and taking Pasta, and Point. That is a franchise altering pick. For those keeping score we took Valiev at 68 while Sirokin and Point went 78 and 79 .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah Kadri was a HR. If they had a redo, Hedman would go first IMO.

Given the scouting reports, Nylander was the correct pick at #8. Somebody would have to be in the know about Pasta and Point in order to pass him up Nylander for #25 and #56.

Imagine trading #8 for #25 and #56 and taking Pasta, and Point. That is a franchise altering pick. For those keeping score we took Valiev at 68 while Sirokin and Point went 78 and 79 .

Brayden Point​

Center -- shoots R
Born Mar 13 1996 -- Calgary, ALTA
[28 yrs. ago]
Height 5.10 -- Weight 178 [178 cm/81 kg]

Hmmm?

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What happened

Team has been tight lipped.

Nylander experienced some sort of injury symptom on Thursday and remains a question mark for game 1.

He hasnt skated since the last game.

A quote today from Lily suggests he'll miss game 1.

Jonas Siegel has reported today a team source says it isn't expected to be a long term issue beyond the next few days.

That's all we know

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Many believe Willie was overpaid let alone gave a discount. He was never taking a paycut.

Willie may have been hated after he returned from his "holdout" for being out of shape. I don't think he is hated. How can anybody hate the guy on the TTC commercial talking to his mom and sister?

These days, because of the cap, fans hate the contracts, not the players unless the player is a total asshole.
Yeah most of us hate the way management made one stupid decision after another .

Some leaf fans hate both Marner, Nylander and Tavares. But IMO i hope they turn up the assholometer a few steps on ice.

Reactions: ruaware41

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Team has been tight lipped.

Nylander experienced some sort of injury symptom on Thursday and remains a question mark for game 1.

He hasnt skated since the last game.

A quote today from Lily suggests he'll miss game 1.

Jonas Siegel has reported today a team source says it isn't expected to be a long term issue beyond the next few days.

That's all we know
My take on this - Willy had a nagging injury he kept hidden because he selfishly wanted to hit the 100 point mark. He aggravated that injury in the two games in Florida, to the point that he couldn't suit up for the playoffs. If that is the case, it shows how the team culture is a big part of their problem, and why a lot of fans just don't find the team all that likeable.

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
My take on this - Willy had a nagging injury he kept hidden because he selfishly wanted to hit the 100 point mark. He aggravated that injury in the two games in Florida, to the point that he couldn't suit up for the playoffs. If that is the case, it shows how the team culture is a big part of their problem, and why a lot of fans just don't find the team all that likeable.
"If that is the case". Absolutely nothing suggests you are right..

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
My take on this is that Nylander got benched for dogging it to end the season.

That would explain why Keefe wasn't concerned about Nylander's performance. Nothing to be concerned about if he isn't even playing. Maybe sitting the first game will light a fire under his ass.

This reminds me of the Matthews benching in oh so many ways.

It's even the same lame excuse. Too sore to play one game. Too sore. To play. One game.

One. Game.

Sounds crazy I know.

But sounds less crazy than the bullshit story they're trying to feed us. Like I'm sooooo sure Nylander called Keefe up and told him the Absorbine Jr wasn't working. So Keefe told him to go home and rub his sore body down in A535 and rest up.

Don't worry about the game.

Reactions: sxvnert

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

That would explain why Keefe wasn't concerned about Nylander's performance. Nothing to be concerned about if he isn't even playing. Maybe sitting the first game will light a fire under his ass.

It's even the same lame excuse. Too sore to play one game. Too sore. To play. One game.

One. Game.

Sounds crazy I know.

But sounds less crazy than the bullshit story they're trying to feed us. Like I'm sooooo sure Nylander called Keefe up and told him the Absorbine Jr wasn't working. So Keefe told him to go home and rub his sore body down in A535 and rest up.

It's incredible what people want to believe.

Yeah... what a weird concept a player is injured.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

One. Game.

Sounds crazy I know.

I can't believe I am saying this, but this actually sounds more plausible than Nylander missing a game because he is sore.

Nylander has almost never been injured in his career.

Unless it is a back injury... ( Side story., i injured mine putting squat weight accidently while I was about to do a set of good mornings and I couldn't walk for a week)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You're probably right.

Why would they start holding anyone accountable now?

Coming from the same people who brought you "Brodie will never sit a game".

They hold players accountable, just because you don't agree with how they do it doesn't mean they don't.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
This team doesn't look the same ever since Nylander obtained his injury (now we know why he looked like ass the last few weeks...but why the hell didn't he receive maintenance games?). I hope this puts into perspective his worth for those still crying about his cap hit.

We're doing a good job beating the Bruins down. They still need 3 more wins that will be hard to acquire if we keep laying the body.

Matthews and Marner need to step up until Nylander is back. Not even talking about goals. There was literally no smooth puck movement last night. That's where Nylander shines in the playoffs.

We finally have the physical insulation. Need the 3 amigos to put up points and the Series is ours (assuming Samsonov doesn't let in every single shot from the outside).

*I worded this stupidly in a rush. Not step up as if they are less than Nylander. Step up as in being their dominant selves, and then staying at that level. Playing less than dominant isn't going to cut it when we're missing one of the 3.

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This is a strange situation with Nylander. He woke up with an injury one morning? My B.S. meter is going off the charts with this one. I'm not saying anything crazy like he was benched. But I'm not believing this story either. What kind of injury do you just wake up with one morning? Back spasms maybe? He's kind of young for back spasms and never heard of him having back issues either. I would have believed the flu or something but then they came up with this he woke up with an injury thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad