[NYI/WSH] NYI Acquire UFA rights to Halak (4th round pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I think one of the terms he wants is the city he signs with is close to LA.

My guess is Anaheim will give him a good deal for 2-3 years at most while San Jose might give him a few more years(maybe not as high a caphit)

The ANA thing is odd, if they keep the current status quo. Essentially, if they sign Miller, then they are making a statement that Anderson and Gibson were the issue with the team in the playoffs.

They would be wise to keep Gibson in the AHL, but does the team feel he is ready for a full NHL season. Is Anderson really the guy? Or is he a trade chip, sign Miller, and bring up Gibson ala Schneider and he rides it out as a backup.

Does Miller want to be somewhere where the 'heir apparent' is already 100% identified? Meaning, he's already looking over his shoulder? Can't they just acquire Niemi for one year as a bridge to relieve the pressure on Anderson and also give Gibson another year in the AHL?

SJ seems like a better fit. If Isles are sold...NYI may be attractive, if Isles spend fast. Younger players will move to NYC vs. the island. There is a model/acting market in NY...just a little one.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
There are generally 2 kinds of beer - Lagers and Ales. Pretty much everything else falls into one of those two categories with pilsners being a type of lager. Has to do with how (and where - top v. bottom) the yeast ferments.

And while there are more than 2 kinds of knishes, I would suggest that there should only be kasha and potato....the rest don't count. :)

I know there is a beer thread now, but your post is still here so I need to address it. You are way off missing 50% of the categories.

You forgot Porters and Stouts. If all your beer world is comprised of Ales and Lagers then you are drinking in the dark...

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
More than anything, I'm wondering what, if any, impact Miller's sudden availability has on Garth Snow and his thought process.

Does that make Halak look a bit less appealing in his eyes and does the grip loosen?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
More than anything, I'm wondering what, if any, impact Miller's sudden availability has on Garth Snow and his thought process.

Does that make Halak look a bit less appealing in his eyes and does the grip loosen?

If anything it makes us a more appealing option to Halak.

There aren't many starting jobs in the NHL. Miller is going to get one. If Halak is like most goalies, he's going to want to sign a contract with a team that will give him that starting job.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Snow reportedly tried for Miller, but he had them on his 8 team blocked list.

I would rather see Snow sign Halak, then wait and on SJ or Anaheim. Seeing if they choose not to go after Miller.
Snow could end up with neither Miller or Halak.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
I'd rather the Isles just sign Halak and be done with it. I like him more than Miller at this point. Halak is 4-5 years younger, and would likely come a bit cheaper. I know that's not an issue now, but it may be in a few years, especially if Wang sells. Big "it may be."

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Oooohh, me thinks we could have an OT sticky thread topic here. For someone more qualified than me to start though. :)

Have all these years of following the Isles made your beers tend to have a hint of bitterness? :sarcasm:
:laugh:
:naughty:

And extremely high alcohol content. :)

Damnit! I can't believe I missed that one.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:
I'm game, DC.....Yes, actually Troll.....yes, DEFINITELY, Doshell {avg. 8+ percent}.

Bitter, but very palatable and quite nice if you have such a taste and usually right on each time.......but once in a while I come out with an oddball that's nice but......WTF? {cinnamon, honey and cayenne pepper in a friggen dark lager?}

So I guess life imitates art? I dunno...Trottier refuses to drink it half the time?

Last edited:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I know there is a beer thread now, but your post is still here so I need to address it. You are way off missing 50% of the categories.

You forgot Porters and Stouts. If all your beer world is comprised of Ales and Lagers then you are drinking in the dark...
PeriodicTableOfBeerStyles.jpg

Beer is essentially lagers and ales based on the methods of brewing, temperature, specific gravity, cooking temp and duration, a ton of s*** you don't want to get into....but, yeah, just those two......and in between, just like we have metallic and non metallic in chemistry with metalliods caught between, so you have with beer. Meads are another animal, NOT BEER. But stouts and porters are in the lager family, though with some crossover characteristics. And my two fav's so long as they're traditional and not the modern gussied up ones.

FYI.....when I finish the current chapter on my car, I start brewing a peanutbutter porter or a coffee porter, both traditional but with strong accents. I may buy a keg for both and hijack the garage fridge.

Anyone serious about beer should read up and visit a brew shop and ASK MANY QUESTIONS!!! And definitely don't take Miller over Halak.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
PeriodicTableOfBeerStyles.jpg

Beer is essentially lagers and ales based on the methods of brewing, temperature, specific gravity, cooking temp and duration, a ton of s*** you don't want to get into....but, yeah, just those two......and in between, just like we have metallic and non metallic in chemistry with metalliods caught between, so you have with beer. Meads are another animal, NOT BEER. But stouts and porters are in the lager family, though with some crossover characteristics. And my two fav's so long as they're traditional and not the modern gussied up ones.

FYI.....when I finish the current chapter on my car, I start brewing a peanutbutter porter or a coffee porter, both traditional but with strong accents. I may buy a keg for both and hijack the garage fridge.

Anyone serious about beer should read up and visit a brew shop and ASK MANY QUESTIONS!!! And definitely don't take Miller over Halak.

Hmm,. odd because I think Porters and Stouts are just as different from Lagers and Ales. They don't seem like they should be in the same category....but have to take the scientific word for it I guess. In my day they were always separated into those four categories....

Miller would make a good plan C behind whomever Anaheim is ready to dish....

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think that this signing should have been done by now, not liking that it's taking this long, not a good sign in my opinion.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I think that this signing should have been done by now, not liking that it's taking this long, not a good sign in my opinion.

Woah there scotty, still plenty of time this trade only happened three weeks ago. IMO it gets done after the cap numbers are announced (within one week after the announcement) it just makes sense.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We shouldn't target Miller. I wouldn't even give him an offer.

Miller had a 92.3 sv% with Buffalo (worst team) this season. If he had that statistic on the Islanders: it would have been a franchise record. You read that correctly: Miller on (literally) the worst team in the NHL put up a higher save percentage than ANY (starting) Islander goaltender EVER has. Period.

Do I REALLY need to explain why Miller would instantly be an upgrade for the team?

And you're honestly saying that you don't want him on the team?

For once I'm at a loss for words. Anybody who says that they wouldn't even make Miller an offer is either A) a liar, B) crazy, or C) trolling. That's it.

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Miller had a 92.3 sv% with Buffalo (worst team) this season. If he had that statistic on the Islanders: it would have been a franchise record. You read that correctly: Miller on (literally) the worst team in the NHL put up a higher save percentage than ANY (starting) Islander goaltender EVER has. Period.

Do I REALLY need to explain why Miller would instantly be an upgrade for the team?

For once I'm at a loss for words. Anybody who says that they wouldn't even make Miller an offer is either A) a liar, B) crazy, or C) trolling. That's it.

just curious, and i haven't checked. the numbers that you quote for Miller, were for the season, and not the PO's, right?

and at his age, you would really be comfortable giving him a long term contract?

and, oh yeah, he DOESN'T want to come here.

why do people think the Garth could make a wish list, and just go and get them? the BIGGEST factor, is what the player wants, not what we want...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Why do I care what he did last season or the season before that? I care what he's going to do this upcoming season and the seasons beyond. Miller is going to be 34 in a month. How many more great seasons do you think he's going to have? History tells me he isn't going to have too many more.

Not to mention, that .923 save percentage was only over 40 games and if he ended the season with it, it would've been his second best ever. Unfortunately, he posted a .903 save percentage on a better St. Louis Blues team over 19 games. Going after Miller would be a mistake. He'd be great for another two seasons, maybe, then he'll drop off a cliff, be making a ton of money, and be locked up for some stupid amount of time to the point we can't move him.

I'd rather go younger with a guy who has plenty of years left and can grow with the team.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland

well you sure did just say a lot for somebody who is "at a loss for words".
right now, a one legged blind man is an upgrade on this team as far as goaltending goes. so that aint saying much about miller.
or maybe they just disagree with you.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

At this point I would ask Halak what he wants and if it doesn't match my plan I would try to trade his rights again.

If it's about the uncertainty of the cap foor and Halak might recognize it, why should any good player sign with a cap floor team. Same old Islanders and Capuano is back of course. No change till Brooklyn.

giddy up*

Maybe charles said to hold off on any moves until next week when the sale is complete. :yo:

Yes this is likely a pipedream. Let me just pretend.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

Posted this earlier in the thread,

Most players, if they are lucky, get one shot at free agency. Why would any player not look at more than one offer? To be the starter? Maybe, but this is business and money plays, at the very least, and equal part to position.

I will be surprised if anything happens prior to 7/1

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Posted this earlier in the thread,

Most players, if they are lucky, get one shot at free agency. Why would any player not look at more than one offer? To be the starter? Maybe, but this is business and money plays, at the very least, and equal part to position.

I will be surprised if anything happens prior to 7/1

You make less money as a backup than you do as a starter. There aren't enough starting jobs for all the goalies on the market, so he'd be wise to take one while he is ensured the spot and the money. It's really simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad