[NYI/WSH] NYI Acquire UFA rights to Halak (4th round pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No, his best play is to take a realistic offer now, instead of hoping he gets a better one later. If he passes on this, do you think the Isles would keep the offer on the table after he hears other offers and they aren't as good? Unlikely.

Many players throughout the league have shown that they are willing to turn down millions of dollars to play in better situations. I know you have listed all these teams you speculate are looking for goalies and then the ones that are free agents....but do you honestly think that the Isles are going to be the only one who would offer Halak a contract and are going to beat out every team by more than 1 million dollars a year?

Somebody is going to come close enough to the Isles offer that if he waits until July 1st it won't be catastrophic for him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Many players throughout the league have shown that they are willing to turn down millions of dollars to play in better situations. I know you have listed all these teams you speculate are looking for goalies and then the ones that are free agents....but do you honestly think that the Isles are going to be the only one who would offer Halak a contract and are going to beat out every team by more than 1 million dollars a year?

It's one thing if you are a forward or defensemen, it's much easier finding a team that meets your demands then a goalie.

I think their is a decent chance if Hiller doesn't take what the Islanders are offering come July the 1 Islanders will have a different goalie sign or traded for and Halak will most likely not get as good a deal money wise(an possibly chance to be a #1 without splitting games)

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Would that value be worth 2-3 million per year to you? Because getting more than 2m when being signed to play back up is pretty rare.

I might try to find a short term contract which gives me another shot at free agency when the market may be more advantageous.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Somebody is going to come close enough to the Isles offer that if he waits until July 1st it won't be catastrophic for him.

If someone says going with Reimer is better because it's cheaper and the difference isn't too much between the two players, Halak can push himself out of a starting spot and lose millions of dollars. The question is whether or not that is actually going to happen. I personally wouldn't risk it, but I don't know anything about Halak outside of his numbers so I couldn't speculate.

There are just so many goalies to be had and who need moving, that I just wouldn't feel comfortable hitting the market and hoping that a better situation will come along. I really do think the fact that Halak plays goal is a difference maker here when compared to other potential UFA signings for the club. This team was weak on defense, everybody knows that, with a real goalie and less blown 2 goal leads this team is probably in the playoffs. I'm sure Halak and his agent recognize how important his position is to a team trying to push into the playoffs. This is also a young team, with a superstar in Tavares, so this isn't like he will only have a 1 or 2 year window on a veteran team to win the cup. If he is the difference I think he'll be, he'll be in the playoffs more often than not and could be a serious contender for a few years.

I really don't think LI is the black hole it once was. There is a lot more certainty around the organization these days with Tavares locked up and the BC situation solved.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
If someone says going with Reimer is better because it's cheaper and the difference isn't too much between the two players, Halak can push himself out of a starting spot and lose millions of dollars. The question is whether or not that is actually going to happen. I personally wouldn't risk it, but I don't know anything about Halak outside of his numbers so I couldn't speculate.

There are just so many goalies to be had and who need moving, that I just wouldn't feel comfortable hitting the market and hoping that a better situation will come along. I really do think the fact that Halak plays goal is a difference maker here when compared to other potential UFA signings for the club. This team was weak on defense, everybody knows that, with a real goalie and less blown 2 goal leads this team is probably in the playoffs. I'm sure Halak and his agent recognize how important his position is to a team trying to push into the playoffs. This is also a young team, with a superstar in Tavares, so this isn't like he will only have a 1 or 2 year window on a veteran team to win the cup. If he is the difference I think he'll be, he'll be in the playoffs more often than not and could be a serious contender for a few years.

I really don't think LI is the black hole it once was. There is a lot more certainty around the organization these days with Tavares locked up and the BC situation solved.

Actually there is a huge amount of uncertainty with a new possible owner.

There is a real possibility that as part of the ownership negotiations the Islanders make zero moves this year.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Actually there is a huge amount of uncertainty with a new possible owner.

There is a real possibility that as part of the ownership negotiations the Islanders make zero moves this year.

There is an uncertainty with an owner, but the owner is the biggest reason why someone wouldn't want to come here...so that uncertainty shouldn't be as big of a deal as the possibility of relocating, which I imagine is a huge one for anyone with a family.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
There is an uncertainty with an owner, but the owner is the biggest reason why someone wouldn't want to come here...so that uncertainty shouldn't be as big of a deal as the possibility of relocating, which I imagine is a huge one for anyone with a family.

The uncertainty with a new owner is if they want you (or anybody on the team) as a player?

A new owner can come in a decide that the team is going to spend to the cap and try and sign a premier goaltender making Halak either 2nd fiddle or odd man out.

A new owner, new GM, new coach. That's about as uncertain as it gets from the players perspective.

When new ownership comes in in any business nothing from the past ownership is assured.

Why would an agent let his client go to such a situation if it can be avoided.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
signed to a deal as per twitter...rumor is 4 years

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

NYI and goalie Jaro Halak have reached an agreement on a new contract.

edit: beat to it...good scoop foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad