Confirmed Trade: [NYI/STL] Robert Bortuzzo for 2024 7th round pick

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not sure how much he has left in the tank, but he’s been a healthy scratch most of the year and probably wants a chance to play. Seems like a “favor to the player” trade.

I like the idea that the Isles could've had him for "future considerations," but once again Lou overpays.

Lou doesn't do mobile.

Of course he doesn't....

1702079504067.png

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
They needed some depth. Buffalo did the same thing with Stillman last year.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If Lou has serious interest in Hanifin, I doubt this effects any deal with Calgary. They needed another NHL body and he fits their boring scheme. If there’s a team that may still believe, “the boards are your best friend”, it’s Lou’s teams.

Unfortunately, the Leafs could’ve actually used someone like him. He and Benoit could’ve bored us to death, but at least we know the two of them would know what to do, just sometimes they’re not quick enough to.

As for Hanifin, things seem to be really quiet. Although, we have seen Calgary announce two things. Kylington and the Psysk signing. They’ll have to have a few bodies when they move Hanifin and Tanev (if they move Tanev), and those two dmen, will be able to give them NHL minutes. Plus, they’ll likely get an NHL dman in part of any Hanifin package.

It is super quiet on that front though. Which might tell us, the 3 managers who aren’t afraid to make big deals, and generally keep it quiet, could be up to something. Vegas, Detroit and the Islanders.

If Vegas can get Hanifin, they’ll have Pietrangelo, Theodore and Hanifin carrying that D-core for the next two playoffs, and then choose to keep Theodore or Pietrangelo, as Theodore goes into UFA. With the cap going where it is, and a couple of contracts coming off, they’ll be able to resign their UFAs and Hanifin. Vegas and Detroit would both be able to put a really nice package together (without blinking) too.

That’s where I’m not sure the Isles have the greatest shot at Hanifin. He could change the power structure, depending on where he goes.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Gotta give Romanov some credit, he's stepped up munching big minutes while Pelech has been out. Reilly has been an upgrade on Aho as the #6 option.
Yeah he is an excellent skater but I need my boy to work on his outlet pass.

This year and last year when Pelech has gone down he’s stepped up so I love the kid

Reactions: PWJunior

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Now that’s surprising. I forgot he started out in Pittsburgh. He’s been in St Louis so long I was thinking he was a career Blue. I feel like you don’t usually see a team trade their longest tenured player for a 7th but I could be wrong?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be surprised if this is a favor from Army to send Bortz somewhere where he can get some playing time. On opening day, you could see the disappointment in his face that he wasn't in the lineup. Now that Perunovich is getting regular playing time, Bortz would have been in the press box more often than not.

Sad to see him go. I think he can still help a team as a 6/7 d-man who will always bust his ass and stand up for teammates. Isles fans, you'll like having Bortuzzo on your team ya know
Army confirmed it was to do a solid for Borts. He wants to play. and to show coins he is with another contract. Blues want to evaluate/develop younger guys.

Reactions: Reality Czech

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Now that’s surprising. I forgot he started out in Pittsburgh. He’s been in St Louis so long I was thinking he was a career Blue. I feel like you don’t usually see a team trade their longest tenured player for a 7th but I could be wrong?
Probably just looking to give him a better chance at playing as a thank you for years of service.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If Lou has serious interest in Hanifin, I doubt this effects any deal with Calgary. They needed another NHL body and he fits their boring scheme. If there’s a team that may still believe, “the boards are your best friend”, it’s Lou’s teams.

Unfortunately, the Leafs could’ve actually used someone like him. He and Benoit could’ve bored us to death, but at least we know the two of them would know what to do, just sometimes they’re not quick enough to.

As for Hanifin, things seem to be really quiet. Although, we have seen Calgary announce two things. Kylington and the Psysk signing. They’ll have to have a few bodies when they move Hanifin and Tanev (if they move Tanev), and those two dmen, will be able to give them NHL minutes. Plus, they’ll likely get an NHL dman in part of any Hanifin package.

It is super quiet on that front though. Which might tell us, the 3 managers who aren’t afraid to make big deals, and generally keep it quiet, could be up to something. Vegas, Detroit and the Islanders.

If Vegas can get Hanifin, they’ll have Pietrangelo, Theodore and Hanifin carrying that D-core for the next two playoffs, and then choose to keep Theodore or Pietrangelo, as Theodore goes into UFA. With the cap going where it is, and a couple of contracts coming off, they’ll be able to resign their UFAs and Hanifin. Vegas and Detroit would both be able to put a really nice package together (without blinking) too.

That’s where I’m not sure the Isles have the greatest shot at Hanifin. He could change the power structure, depending on where he goes.
You just wrote a 6-paragraph post about Hanifin after fringe defenseman has been traded for a 7th. Big believer in dominoes I see.

Reactions: periferal

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You just wrote a 6-paragraph post about Hanifin after fringe defenseman has been traded for a 7th. Big believer in dominoes I see.
The Isles blueline would actually be lethal with Hanifin but I’m not sure it’s even a top priority at this moment:
Pelech-Dobson
Hanafin-Pulock
Romanov-Mayfield
Aho-Bolduc-Reilly-Bortuzzo (no specific order)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad