Pre-Game Talk: NYI @ Leafs 7:30 (TSN4) Feb, 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Diggerdog hit the nail on the head .Reading requires comprehension ,Babcock said we need to find more guys that can step in and play top pair minutes not bottom pair .It's not bye bye Polak it's bye bye Reilly you lazy , poaching , lousy 5v5 suppression, worst +/- bust after 5 years of pro hockey scrub.Sorry to pee on your man crush there boys but the truth hurts .

So much wrong with this post ... Including the spelling of his name :laugh:

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Some of the expectation on here scares me a little.

This is still only the beginning of the rebuild, this season and how well it's going with these young guys so early is just a bonus to me.

Yeah, because of the promise it's fair to get excited. But jeez, I was expecting to be a bottom 10 team still. So this is just gravy. The Leafs aren't gonna hoist the cup yet. Stand pat and stay the course. Nothing worth getting too downbeat over if they slip out of play-off contention this year.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Good luck guys. I really enjoy watching the Leafs (against neutral teams obvs). Hoping for an Injury free, fast paced game!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Yup Zaitsev has a younger brother and he plays hockey as well BUT
http://thehockeywriters.com/who-is-nikita-zaitsev/[/B]

Leafs have to wait at least 10 years before they can draft or sign the other Zaitsev lol.

The others could be his cousins? Or may be Zaitsev is like the last name "Smith" in Russia? ;)

Thanks, PromiseLand... I thought I heard/read last Spring before we signed him, that he had a brother who played a Forward position,
who is closer to his age... (within a few years), but maybe they were wrong.?

I'm sure it is a much more common name over there, than here.., as I know of an artist and a musician with that family name..
Quite a few hockey players over the years on that list/link I posted, eh..

Myabe we can just ask Lou to clone him..? :sarcasm: :laugh:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Excited to see marchenko... Hope he gets in soon
I won't get excited about him, until he plays ten games with the Leafs.., but it would be nice to see what he has to offer for us...
I completely trust Babs decision making, though.., as to when the time is right..

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Thanks, PromiseLand... I thought I heard/read last Spring before we signed him, that he had a brother who played a Forward position,
who is closer to his age... (within a few years), but maybe they were wrong.?

I'm sure it is a much more common name over there, than here.., as I know of an artist and a musician with that family name..
Quite a few hockey players over the years on that list/link I posted, eh..

Myabe we can just ask Lou to clone him..? :sarcasm: :laugh:

usually eliteprospects.com will have a link to any relatives of a player. For instance if you search Jimmy Vesey it gives links to nolan and his dad Jim. Kasperi Kapanen's has his dad and granddad linked. For Zaitsev it says nothing but who knows if its perfectly accurate

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
usually eliteprospects.com will have a link to any relatives of a player. For instance if you search Jimmy Vesey it gives links to nolan and his dad Jim. Kasperi Kapanen's has his dad and granddad linked. For Zaitsev it says nothing but who knows if its perfectly accurate

Yeah... I saw that years ago..., but you are right in your question..,
because MOST of the North-American stats sites don't always have accurate
and/or up-to-date info. on a lot of Eastern-European and Russian players..

Could be a language barrier thing.., or just laziness to figure things out..?
I had to learn a few words in different languages, just to find game stats.. LOL!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
532x290-islander-leafs.jpg

tavkad.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x725.jpg

Tuesday game day: New York Islanders at Toronto Maple Leafs

The Islanders have gone 10-3-2 over the past 15 games to move within one point of the Maple Leafs for the second wild-card spot

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...ew-york-islanders-at-toronto-maple-leafs.html

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Mon., Feb. 13, 2017

AIR CANADA CENTRE

PUCK DROP: Tuesday, 7:30 p.m.

TV: TSN4

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

KEY MATCHUP

Tavares vs. Kadri

It’s been eight years since John Tavares was traded from to Oshawa to London to finish his junior career with Nazem Kadri and the Knights. Kadri led London in scoring in 2008-09, while Tavares led the OHL in goals and points. The Islanders star is in a bit of a slump, with a mere three assists in his last five games, but he has already reached the 20-goal mark for the eighth straight season. Kadri, who also has 20 goals, has four assists in his last five games.

NEED TO KNOW

The Islanders have gone 10-3-2 over the past 15 games to move within one point of the Leafs for the second wild-card spot . . . Anders Lee has eclipsed the 20-goal plateau for the second time in three full NHL seasons. He has meshed well with Tavares and Josh Bailey . . . Islanders winger Cal Clutterbuck has missed five games and nine of his last 13 with a couple of different ailments. Clutterbuck has just three goals in 44 games after scoring 15 in 77 last season . . . Defenceman Travis Hamonic has missed 16 games with a knee injury and still hasn’t resumed skating.

UP NEXT

At Columbus, Wednesday, 7 p.m.

Islanders come charging at Maple Leafs

The Associated Press•Feb 13, 2017, 8:26 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/islanders-come-charging-maple-leafs-012646742--nhl.html

TORONTO -- The New York Islanders can pass the Toronto Maple Leafs in the standings with a win in regulation on Tuesday night at the Air Canada Centre.

That is an indication how much things have changed for the Islanders.

They will face the Maple Leafs buoyed by a 5-1 win over the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday after they lost 3-0 to the Senators in Ottawa on Saturday.

The Islanders (25-19-10) had the fewest points in the Eastern Conference on Jan. 17 when Jack Capuano was fired as coach and replaced by Doug Weight on an interim basis.

They have gone 10-3-2 in the past 15 games and have moved within one point of the Maple Leafs (25-18-11), who are in a playoff position.

"We knew the talent and work ethic and the right attitude was in here," Islanders center John Tavares said. "It's such a long season and things get written off so early. I think we see how tight the East is. ... There was a change with (Weight) and we kept improving and we've made our games meaningful now."

The Maple Leafs have noticed.

"I never ever thought they weren't a good team," Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after practice on Monday. "I don't think anyone really thought that. I mean they have an elite, elite center in John Tavares. They have good players. Now they seem to have gotten excited and got it going. They're 6-2-2 in their last 10."

The Islanders defeated the Maple Leafs 6-5 in overtime in Brooklyn on Feb. 6, overcoming Toronto leads of 4-2 and 5-4.

"They found a way to win the game," Babcock said. "We've got to find a way to win a game at home."

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
earth to leafs, the game starts at 7:35. not 7:45 or 7:50 or 8:00. start playing on time.

just win pls

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Valentines Day special:​

ALL (playoff spots) IS FAIR and LOVE (of Hockey) is WAR.

So my fellow Leafs Nation peeps. 2 wins in last 8 games.

- Babs has run the same lines (FWDs and Ds)
- Vets (bozak, jvr, polak, hunwick) have not risen to the occasion
- Team defense and goal tending has been shaky

Atlantic division is pretty wide open where anything can happen.

What should the Leafs do?

- Should Lou look to move vets who are mailing it in and gather picks/prospects just incase Leafs do not make playoffs
- Should Lou trade pick/prospect to get help on D while keeping the vets and giving a bit of future away
- Is there Option 3 for Lou
- Should Babs continue to run the same lines (FWDs and Ds)
- Should Babs change the line-up as things are not working even when Babs has last change on home ice

Thing are getting mighty exciting. Time for Leafs management to make smart decisions.

What are your thoughts?

Your list of vets who haven't risen to the occasion is much too short.

Lou had better be looking for some talent for the defense or else he should be fired.

Babs is doing his best with what he has, other than trying to play defense 3v3 why should we complain.

3v3 is all about speed and smarts ... we know he's leaving that on the bench.

Jeepman89*

Oct 10, 2015
Washington 0.0
Pittsburgh -3.5
Columbus -3.5
NY Rangers -5.0
Montreal -8.0
Ottawa -8.5
Toronto -10.5
Boston -11.0
NY Islanders -11.0
Philadelphia -11.5
Florida -12.0
Carolina -13.0
Tampa Bay -13.5
New Jersey -13.5
Buffalo -14.0
Detroit -15.0

Sorry but what do these stats mean? -10.5 what?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Valentine%E2%80%99s-Day-Dancing-Video-e1455470734726.jpg

776369a089471c68ca51c0c69af1b16b.jpg

A "loving win" is what the fans would like tonight, Boys..! :)

...."Play from the heart..., right from the start...
....Skate as fast as a dart... and make their D part...
....Make your plays sweet as a tart... and not smell like a fart...
....Or you'll end up pushing a cart... and not quite enough smart..
"... :sarcasm: :laugh:

Stand Witness (The Boys Are Back): Toronto Maple Leafs 2016-17 Season Pump (HD)

GO LEAFS GO!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sorry but what do these stats mean? -10.5 what?

That's a good question - I think I know what he's trying to do (and it makes sense) but he screwed up the math. Or I could be wrong and he's completely out to lunch.

666: You've been asked before what these numbers mean. If you're going to keep posting them, it would be only polite to answer.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
if we loose tomrrow its tank nation for me, I cant handle another 18-wheeler of the cliff, due in part to mediocre in-game coaching and adjustments.

babcocks in-game decisions are mediocre at best, hes an amazing coach, but icing Hyman, Brown, Carrick and Komarov with the goalie pulled is just stupid. I understand spreading out the lines is good, but if the lines are scoring why not put the best players together.

If we had Matthews-Nylander and Marner together I can almost gurantee we'd have more than one goal last game. Its frustrating because what is so apparent to everyone watching the game who is less knowledgable than Babcock goes directly over his head.

Another example: Starting Kadri and Komarov in OT?

Tying Matthews and Hyman together at the hip.

Constantly icing Hunwick and Polak together despite the fact that they suck.

Icing Ben Smith every single game, never scratching Martin (IMO we should give Sosh and Leivo a look together with a scoring fourth line)

Playing the fourth line (with Hunwick and Polak with three minutes left in a tie game), philly scored and took two points from us.

These little things pile up, and cost us points each and every single game, im sick and tired of it, because i just want the Leafs in the best position to win.

Honestly I have a lot of the same issues as you (except I don't want to scratch Martin....Id rather give him better linemates and a little more ice time)

But I still have a lot of faith in Babs. I don't presume to know all there is about coaching rookies into elite level players. I feel there must be a method to his madness and these decisions have ulterior motives......not obvious to me for sure.

Maybe Im still looking through rose colored glasses but Ill still give him and the rest of management as much rope as they need for the next year or so.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah... I saw that years ago..., but you are right in your question..,
because MOST of the North-American stats sites don't always have accurate
and/or up-to-date info. on a lot of Eastern-European and Russian players..

Could be a language barrier thing.., or just laziness to figure things out..?
I had to learn a few words in different languages, just to find game stats.. LOL!

who knew hockey stats would be such a learning tool, new languages nice.

In terms of Zaitsev specifically I know ive seen when he plays for Russia its spelled Zayetsev (or something like that, there is a Y somewhere) could be that sites like eliteprospects don't take this into account for Russian players in particular and therefore miss family connections.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Game is going to impact quite a few teams in the standings. Hope they come out and play right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad