Proposal: NYI-ARZ-EDM

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Varlamov is a starting goaltender that can win playoff rounds. Koskinen is playing as a starting goaltender. One has consistently put up very good stats throughout his career while one has not.

Varlamov at 34 years old is still significantly better in every facet of the game than Koskinen.

You may be the only person on the planet that's not sure Varlamov is better than Koskinen...but I appreciate your optimism!
I think that one playing on good defensive teams while the other plays for a team that doesn't know the meaning of the word, makes the comparison look worse than it is.

If you were Edmonton, would you trade Koskinen plus a first for Varlamov? I think depth and defence are bigger problems than goal.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think that one playing on good defensive teams while the other plays for a team that doesn't know the meaning of the word, makes the comparison look worse than it is.

If you were Edmonton, would you trade Koskinen plus a first for Varlamov? I think depth and defence are bigger problems than goal.
Fair point above but Varlamov was good with Colorado when they didn't have the defense they did now.

Idk if they would. Right now? No. If they have a "surge" and look like they have a shot at home-ice in the first round around the trade deadline? Absolutely, though I think there might have to be a small add from the Isles side...maybe a 3rd or 4th.

Edmonton really should be at the point where they shore up their goaltending long-term though. There's nothing really out there in FA so they should look at someone like Vanecek or hope that Campbell decides to test FA and just throw a boatload of cash at him.

Reactions: notDatsyuk and SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Koskinen is not a starting goalie in the NHL. varlamov had 7 SO last season and has led his team to back to back conference finals. He was voted 5th in the Vezina.

If I was Edmonton, I would make that deal, b/c it is a clear upgrade in net and they have their starting goalie for next season at a respectable 5 AAV. And to be clear that adding Koskinen is literally for them to fit Varly in the cap space. It creates a problem for the Isles b/c I do not trust Koskinen - even in the Isles.

Koskinen has struggled on the 5 on 5 mainly and it isn’t all because of the system - much of it rests on his soldier. they are really missing Mike Smith, who has performed much, much better with the same team in front of him.

This is all theoretical b/c Varlamov will not waive his m-NTC to go to Edmonton

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad