To Edmonton-- Varlamov

To Arizona--Islanders 1st 2022, Edmonton 1st 2022, Beauvillier, Bolduc

To Islanders---Chychrun
820c941c-4cff-4a50-aadf-e9612cb1a2e9_text.gif

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Doesn’t Arizona already have like 3 first round and 5 second round picks? Not sure they’d be in the market for more.

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Doesn’t Arizona already have like 3 first round and 5 second round picks? Not sure they’d be in the market for more.
Those are tradeable assets. Never turn down a 1st round pick.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
To Islanders--Edmonton 1st 2022 and Koskinen

To Edmonton-- Varlamov

To Islanders---Chychrun

Sorry he maybe a good Defenseman, but I'm not giving up that much

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Also, you don't have to pay a draft pick. And trading Chychrun would help their tank.
I thought I read recently the yotes will have about $51m in cap space after this season. Sounds like they’ll need bodies instead of more picks.

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'd trade the 1st (unprotected) and Bolduc for Chychrun , thats about it . IOW , no Beau

Varlamov needs to get back on track if he's to have a 1st round return from a contender looking to pad their goalie depth for the stretch run / playoffs . Recency bias is a real thing

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
To Islanders--Edmonton 1st 2022 and Koskinen

To Edmonton-- Varlamov

To Islanders---Chychrun

HELL NO! we give up 2 1st rounders, Beau and Bolduc f*** THAT.
I'll trade Varly and keep EDM 1st rounder.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
We need a 1A 1B tandem...It's the only way to be effective in the playoffs.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
No, of course not. No one would.

They absolutely will.

Colorado gave up a 1st and a RHD prospect in Connor Timmins, who stepped right into the NHL for 1 year of Darcy Kuemper at 3.5 AAV. Edmonton needs a goalie bad - Price costs $ for multiple years, Fleury would be for a couple of months... Varly would be for this year and then next for 5m. And Varly has had success in playoffs with back-to-back conference finals. Hell, could you expand the deal and see if you could grab Xavier Bourgault or Philip Broberg.

It's also being pitched by Oiler fans on the mainboard - a 2022 1st and Koskinen for Varly.
I'd do it and give the keys to Sorokin and then sign a backup next season - maybe Greiss or Holtby someone younger like Husso.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If the team is forced to retool this season, then here are the moves that should be made -
  • Varlamov for a 1st
  • Mayfield to best offer
  • Bailey for picks (2 seconds or prospects, who are close to contributing)
  • Explore best deals for Clutterbuck, Chara, and Greene
Here are my proposed deals -
  • Varlamov to Edmonton for '22 1st and Koskinen
  • Mayfield and Bailey to Colorado for Sam Girard, LHD, Justin Barron, RHD, 2023 2nd round pick
  • Chara to Florida for Chase Priskie, RHD
  • Clutterbuck (@ 50 % retention) and Andy Greene (50% retention) for Keegan Koelsaar, RW, Dylan Coghlan, RHD, and 2022 2nd round pick.
*Varlamov pick could be in the low 20's and Koskinen is a free agent, so whatever.
*Colorado makes this deal b/c they are desperate to advance and shine in the playoffs... Bailey and Mayfield do that - the Avalanche have many veteran UFA F's and having Bailey not only gives them a push this season and playoff experience but helps solidify the top 6 today and tomorrow. Mayfield helps them get tougher on the blueline and gives them better balance - Girard is the odd one out with Byram and Toews.
*Chara for Priskie could happen... Priskie could be Mayfield's replacement.
*VGK makes a Stanley Cup type deal - Cal and Greene for under 2m and Knights give up '22 2nd, Koelsar and Coghlan are both signed for league minimum next season as well.
  1. Lee - Barzal - ???? (top free agent target- Gaudreau?)
  2. Beau - Nelson - Palmieri
  3. *Bellows - Pageau - Wahlstrom
  4. Martin - Cizikas - ???? (this could be Kolesar)
Extra F's - Johnston - Kolesar (this could be Bellows or Parise)
  1. Pelech - Pulock
  2. Girard - Dobson
  3. *Salo (this could be Chiarot, who can play RHD as well) - Coghlan
Extra D - Priskie
*Salo could also start in BPort again and they try to sign a Vet LHD man (Chiarot or McNabb)
*If Bellows is not ready, then you can resign to be a full time player, then maybe Andrew Copp if you have cap space, if not then a cheap 1 year deal for Parise.

Goalie -
  1. Sorokin
  2. Holtby
Prospects -
#1., #2, #3. - 2 x 2022. #1's and Justin Barron, RHD, which would make up your #1, #2, #3
#4, #5, #6 - Raty, Bolduc, and Salo - order toss up
#7 - Holmstrom
#8 - Dufour
#9, #10 - 2 x 2022 2nds.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If the team is forced to retool this season, then here are the moves that should be made -
  • Varlamov for a 1st
  • Mayfield to best offer
  • Mayfield and Bailey to Colorado for Sam Girard, LHD, Justin Barron, RHD, 2023 2nd round pick
  • Clutterbuck (@ 50 % retention) and Andy Greene (50% retention) for Keegan Koelsaar, RW, Dylan Coghlan, RHD, and 2022 2nd round pick.
*Varlamov pick could be in the low 20's and Koskinen is a free agent, so whatever.
*Colorado makes this deal b/c they are desperate to advance and shine in the playoffs... Bailey and Mayfield do that - the Avalanche have many veteran UFA F's and having Bailey not only gives them a push this season and playoff experience but helps solidify the top 6 today and tomorrow. Mayfield helps them get tougher on the blueline and gives them better balance - Girard is the odd one out with Byram and Toews.
*VGK makes a Stanley Cup type deal - Cal and Greene for under 2m and Knights give up '22 2nd, Koelsar and Coghlan are both signed for league minimum next season as well.
  1. Pelech - Pulock
  2. Girard - Dobson
Extra D - Priskie
*Salo could also start in BPort again and they try to sign a Vet LHD man (Chiarot or McNabb)
*If Bellows is not ready, then you can resign to be a full time player, then maybe Andrew Copp if you have cap space, if not then a cheap 1 year deal for Parise.

Goalie -
  1. Sorokin
  2. Holtby
Prospects -
#1., #2, #3. - 2 x 2022. #1's and Justin Barron, RHD, which would make up your #1, #2, #3
#7 - Holmstrom
#8 - Dufour
#9, #10 - 2 x 2022 2nds.

I don't think Colorado does this. Don't think Bailey or Mayfield moves the needle enough for them and I bet you ask any Colorado fans they think Girard > Mayfield Girard > Bailey. Also don't think Vegas moves Kolesar. They seem to like him. He shows a lot of promise.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You may be correct about Kolesar and the VGK. I thought he would be perfect young replacement for Cal.
As for Girard for Mayfield, I think that would be an interesting debate. They are totally different. I believe Mayfield would bring more balance to that blueline and IMO Girard is superfluous with Byram and Toews. Colorado getting bounced from the playoffs year after year has mounted some pressure. Girard was criticized after last season. They also lost Graves and have not replaced that type of physicality on their blueline.
Don’t know if Bailey gets you Barron, but it’s a reasonable ask.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You may be correct about Kolesar and the VGK. I thought he would be perfect young replacement for Cal.
As for Girard for Mayfield, I think that would be an interesting debate. They are totally different. I believe Mayfield would bring more balance to that blueline and IMO Girard is superfluous with Byram and Toews. Colorado getting bounced from the playoffs year after year has mounted some pressure. Girard was criticized after last season. They also lost Graves and have not replaced that type of physicality on their blueline.
Don’t know if Bailey gets you Barron, but it’s a reasonable ask.

They have the opposite problem of sameness on their blue line as the Islanders do. It'll look great in the regular season but come playoff time it'll falter again. The Islanders blue line looks bad in the regular season but probably looks a bit better with playoff rules (still not great this year though).

Reactions: PWJunior and MJF

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
  • Varlamov for a 1st
  • Mayfield to best offer
  1. Pelech - Pulock
  2. Girard - Dobson
Extra D - Priskie

Goalie -
  1. Sorokin
  2. Holtby
Prospects -
#7 - Holmstrom
#8 - Dufour
#9, #10 - 2 x 2022 2nds.
Varlamov has slightly better stats than Koskinen, while playing on a much better defensive team. I don't see Edmonton making that trade, let alone giving up a first as well.

I suspect Colorado thinks Girard is worth at least as much as Mayfield and Bailey. And why would they give up players who are 23 and 20 (plus a 2nd!) for players who are 32 and 29?

Why would Florida trade 26 year old Priskie for 44 year old Chara?

Why would Vegas trade us their youth (plus a 2nd!) for a couple of guys who are at the end if their careers?

I would love to be able to trade away three of our four oldest players for guys who average ten years younger, plus possibly improve our backup, and get a first and two seconds thrown in, but I don't think it's likely.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Varlamov has slightly better stats than Koskinen, while playing on a much better defensive team. I don't see Edmonton making that trade, let alone giving up a first as well.

I suspect Colorado thinks Girard is worth at least as much as Mayfield and Bailey. And why would they give up players who are 23 and 20 (plus a 2nd!) for players who are 32 and 29?

Why would Florida trade 26 year old Priskie for 44 year old Chara?

Why would Vegas trade us their youth (plus a 2nd!) for a couple of guys who are at the end if their careers?

I would love to be able to trade away three of our four oldest players for guys who average ten years younger, plus possibly improve our backup, and get a first and two seconds thrown in, but I don't think it's likely.

I disagree with you on the value and quality between Koskinen and Varlamov. Edmonton must address their goalie situation if they want to succeed. McJesus doesn’t stop pucks. And the truth is - Varly has a m-NTC and no way he waived it to go to Edmonton.

on your other points - those are not to dissimilar to deals that teams make to push them over the edge for a Stanley Cup. The VGK deals maybe particularly a reach but Priskie turns 26 and he 2 NHL games - he’s a better version of Hutton and to get Chara - even this version - is a good deal for FLA.

Not to fret Isles are turning this around -

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I disagree with you on the value and quality between Koskinen and Varlamov. Edmonton must address their goalie situation if they want to succeed. McJesus doesn’t stop pucks. And the truth is - Varly has a m-NTC and no way he waived it to go to Edmonton.

on your other points - those are not to dissimilar to deals that teams make to push them over the edge for a Stanley Cup. The VGK deals maybe particularly a reach but Priskie turns 26 and he 2 NHL games - he’s a better version of Hutton and to get Chara - even this version - is a good deal for FLA.

Not to fret Isles are turning this around -
I'm not sure that Varlamov is better than Koskinen, but certainly not a first round pick better, regardless of his status.

As you say, Priskie has played 2 NHL games, so he's not who Chara would be replacing. Which of the six regular Florida defencemen do you think today's Chara is an improvement on?

I just don't see how any of the players you want to trade would be enough of an improvement to justify the rental cost you suggest.

But I admire your optimism.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm not sure that Varlamov is better than Koskinen, but certainly not a first round pick better, regardless of his status.

Varlamov is a starting goaltender that can win playoff rounds. Koskinen is playing as a starting goaltender. One has consistently put up very good stats throughout his career while one has not.

Varlamov at 34 years old is still significantly better in every facet of the game than Koskinen.

You may be the only person on the planet that's not sure Varlamov is better than Koskinen...but I appreciate your optimism!

Reactions: PROMputt and SI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad