Ny Rangers put Brendan Smith on waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Everyone better chill Kenny boy could be on the phone right now telling him come on home bud.
Kenny: Well...I WAS kinda on the fence about trading Green...but now that my boy Brendan is available, let's get some cap space to bring him home where he belongs! ;)

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Nah. If anything, once Smith clears Holland will send Yzerman a 1st to get Brendan from Gorton for him....

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If he passes through, I would have to imagine he is bought out after the season is over.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If he passes through, I would have to imagine he is bought out after the season is over.

If NYR does deal a number of guys off, they might bring Smith back just for the warm body to fill the spot. I'm not sure buying guys out of more than a year, or at most two, of their deals is ever a good thing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Would be tough to swallow for NYR.

Because of the front loading of the deal and bonus in the last year, they'd get less than $1M in relief in the 3rd year. Combined with Girardi's buyout, they'd have around $4.5M tied up in buyout hits for 3 years.

There's 0% chance he gets claimed, so the hope is probably that riding the buses to and from Hartford will light a fire under him for when he gets recalled after they send off McDonagh and Holden.

Then he'll put in 20 good games where some Rangers fans will think him worthy of the Norris based on some advanced stats.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Would be tough to swallow for NYR.

Because of the front loading of the deal and bonus in the last year, they'd get less than $1M in relief in the 3rd year. Combined with Girardi's buyout, they'd have around $4.5M tied up in buyout hits for 3 years.

There's 0% chance he gets claimed, so the hope is probably that riding the buses to and from Hartford will light a fire under him for when he gets recalled after they send off McDonagh and Holden.

Then he'll put in 20 good games where some Rangers fans will think him worthy of the Norris based on some advanced stats.

True, I guess it comes down to what their direction is next year. If they are in full re-build mode, then just suck it up and let the contract play out. If they are selling now but are planning on being active in the summer in order to compete next season, then I see a buy-out or maybe a trade where they retain a large portion of the contract. At least that way the cap hit doesn't go on as long.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We have fun teasing the Rangers for signing Smith (and Holland, pretending he would claim him off waivers), but what New York said about the trade deadline in an open letter to the fans is actually refreshingly honest:

Canadiens could learn from Rangers’ rebuild proclamation - Article - TSN

"As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combined speed, skill and character,” the Rangers said in an open letter to fans. “This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect.”

So yes, they've made some bad moves, but thumbs up for admitting reality, and being decisive about what the team needs to do next.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
We have fun teasing the Rangers for signing Smith (and Holland, pretending he would claim him off waivers), but what New York said about the trade deadline in an open letter to the fans is actually refreshingly honest:

Canadiens could learn from Rangers’ rebuild proclamation - Article - TSN

"As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combined speed, skill and character,” the Rangers said in an open letter to fans. “This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect.”

So yes, they've made some bad moves, but thumbs up for admitting reality, and being decisive about what the team needs to do next.

It's just PR tactic in preparation for their failed season. We'll see how committed they are to rebuild when Tavares is on the open market and the Rangers are sitting around with $10 million in cap space.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's just PR tactic in preparation for their failed season. We'll see how committed they are to rebuild when Tavares is on the open market and the Rangers are sitting around with $10 million in cap space.
So you're saying that adding an elite 27 year old center would be a BAD move during a rebuild?

If they refill their cap with average vets, then sure, that makes their rebuilding claim ring very very hollow. But if they ship out a few guys to get younger, and still manage to bring in Tavares, that's an outstanding off season.

(And if anything said by a team is just a PR tactic, I'd still rather hear a message that reflects the reality of the current situation, than the myth of, 'this just wasn't our season, but anything can happen next year'.)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So you're saying that adding an elite 27 year old center would be a BAD move during a rebuild?

If they refill their cap with average vets, then sure, that makes their rebuilding claim ring very very hollow. But if they ship out a few guys to get younger, and still manage to bring in Tavares, that's an outstanding off season.

(And if anything said by a team is just a PR tactic, I'd still rather hear a message that reflects the reality of the current situation, than the myth of, 'this just wasn't our season, but anything can happen next year'.)

I'd take him on Detroit. He remakes our forward corp and essentially sets it up for the next 5-10 years, especially with Larkin behind him and then slotting guys like Rasmussen, Mantha, etc. in around them. It would be like not going after OEL or Karlsson if they hit the market in 2019 just because we're "rebuilding" and they are in their mid-late 20s instead of being 23.

Reactions: kliq

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If you're committed to rebuilding you want high draft picks and young players. Bringing in Tavares means you're only good enough to challenge for a wild card spot. Doesn't that go against you're entire mentality with this team?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If you're committed to rebuilding you want high draft picks and young players. Bringing in Tavares means you're only good enough to challenge for a wild card spot. Doesn't that go against you're entire mentality with this team?

The chances any team finds a centre as good as Tavares through a rebuild is approx 1/850 draft picks

Yah that' right.

Reactions: Fynn

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Are you saying what the DRW say is not a PR tactic?

Of course it is. But we chose to lie rather than being honest

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Replace Tavares with Kovalchuk and you have the Rangers "rebuild".

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The chances any team finds a centre as good as Tavares through a rebuild is approx 1/850 draft picks

Yah that' right.
Tavares at 28 years old will only been good enough to get you to a wildcard playoff spot in the short term. Long term he turns into a compliance buyout. You need young superstars in this league the win now. Any team that says they are rebuilding and doesn't go all in on Jack Hughes is lying.

Are you saying what the DRW say is not a PR tactic?

Of course it is. But we chose to lie rather than being honest

When has Ken Holland lied about his short-term and long-term plans for the team?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

And then Kenny brings him back in the offseason at a discounted price?

Would we be opposed to having Smith back for 2 million? I wouldn't want that, but you just never know with Kenny.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
have fun sorting through a couple hundred posts to find the one guy who maybe said that
It was definitely a minority, but I remember a few arguing his value because of his fancy stats.

My worry if the Rangers buy him out is that Holland brings him back.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Tavares at 28 years old will only been good enough to get you to a wildcard playoff spot in the short term. Long term he turns into a compliance buyout. You need young superstars in this league the win now. Any team that says they are rebuilding and doesn't go all in on Jack Hughes is lying.

I think you underestimate the parity in today's NHL. If we added JT and Dahlin, and the kids got better, we could be a lot more then "just a wildcard" spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad