Ny Rangers put Brendan Smith on waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
So in the 31 games he's played less than 18 mins a night he's 2-7-9, let's take out the 5 games he played less than 12 mins, with no points. So 26 games between 12-18 mins with 2-7-9? Sounds like Blash plays him more when he's playing well.

I don't think the data supports that assertion.
If you look at his game logs chronologically, there's nothing to suggest that AA has somehow deserved to have his TOI reduced, or bumped up.
The first time his icetime was bumped, it was after a game where he was -2 with no points.
He plays 3 straight games over 18 minutes and produces 3-2-5 and gets reduced.
In late December, he had two games where he averaged a little more than 10 minutes a game and he went -2 with zero points.
Suddenly he's granted 20 minutes a night for 8 games, going 5-4-9. In that eighth game he went 1-1-2 in 19:24.
The next two games his TOI drops and he's only been over 18 minutes twice 10 games since.

But by all means, award Blashill the Jack Adams for his masterful use of Athanasiou.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think the data supports that assertion.
If you look at his game logs chronologically, there's nothing to suggest that AA has somehow deserved to have his TOI reduced, or bumped up.
The first time his icetime was bumped, it was after a game where he was -2 with no points.
He plays 3 straight games over 18 minutes and produces 3-2-5 and gets reduced.
In late December, he had two games where he averaged a little more than 10 minutes a game and he went -2 with zero points.
Suddenly he's granted 20 minutes a night for 8 games, going 5-4-9. In that eighth game he went 1-1-2 in 19:24.
The next two games his TOI drops and he's only been over 18 minutes twice 10 games since.

But by all means, award Blashill the Jack Adams for his masterful use of Athanasiou.
Then stop using data as the only piece of the puzzle.

Maybe ice time was adjusted by good (or bad) things said or done in practice. Or in team meetings. Or any number of other facets of being a professional hockey player.

Yes, certain stats suggest that AA deserves more ice time. But as much as I'd like this team to shift towards a style that plays to AA's strengths, even I can say that AA has shortcomings that are bigger than his stats, and he has considerable work to do if he's ever going to make full use of his talents.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Then stop using data as the only piece of the puzzle.

Maybe ice time was adjusted by good (or bad) things said or done in practice. Or in team meetings. Or any number of other facets of being a professional hockey player.

Yes, certain stats suggest that AA deserves more ice time. But as much as I'd like this team to shift towards a style that plays to AA's strengths, even I can say that AA has shortcomings that are bigger than his stats, and he has considerable work to do if he's ever going to make full use of his talents.

Could be. Or maybe this coach is f***ing idiot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My bad. Just saw the headline of him being waived and thought it was happening again.

But it certainly looks like that he isn't the Top minute Defencemen there...

Trouba - 26:50
Skjei - 24:33
Fox - 24:12
Hajek - 19:52
-----------------
Smith - 11:28
Crawley - 10:39

Well used 4.3M or whatever...

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Well, I'll miss Smitty turning Andrew Shaw into his personal punching bag everytime they play. Watching Shaw get pummeled never gets old for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad