Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] P.K. Subban traded to Devils for Santini, Davies, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
As Devils fan, I agree with this. Think Davies will be an NHL player in Nashville. Not the type of player that you will regret trading for PK Subban, but a productive player.

I think an underrated piece of this deal for NJ is the inclusion of Santini. With TWO years remaining at 1.4 this is a bad contract, despite the fact that the $ is not prohibitive.

Santini has been bad, has limited ceiling and that contract was a head scratcher in the first place. Its negative value for NJ, as Santini appeared to be headed to a spot on waivers, Binghampton or at best the press box - and that was before the Subban add.

So taking into account the unloading of that contract makes it more doable for the Devils financially.
I had high hopes for Santini... I remember reading when he was drafted that he was very strong physically and skated up the ice well... I didn't see any of that... good news is that he is still young

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Shero has literally rebuilt this franchise from the ground up in 4 years, when he took over there was practically nothing of value on our NHL roster, which was one of the oldest in the league; coupled with our bottom 5 prospect pool.

He had practically nothing to work with, i’m in awe when I compare our 2015 roster to the one we have today.
C'mon English D you know nothing, its all fantasy land you live in! ;)
Good catch on "one of the oldest" I was schooled here on this earlier! :laugh:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
This Habs fan is laughing real hard. What an underwhelming return this is. Bergevin wouldve been hanged publicly for sure if thats all he had for PK, even at this point in the contract.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
This Habs fan is laughing real hard. What an underwhelming return this is. Bergevin wouldve been hanged publicly for sure if thats all he had for PK, even at this point in the contract.

The whole point of the return was to clear cap and we still got a promising defensive prospect, two 2nds (one of which was traded for another 2nd and a 3rd.)

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
The whole point of the return was to clear cap and we still got a promising defensive prospect, two 2nds (one of which was traded for another 2nd and a 3rd.)

Obviously, but IMO you don't trade a Norris caliber dman to clear space, you're supposed to make space for these high-end players. Preds got worse while their window is wide open.

For all we know, the picks have a great chance of amounting to nothing and same could be said about the promising prospect.

Reactions: deflowd

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Obviously, but IMO you don't trade a Norris caliber dman to clear space, you're supposed to make space for these high-end players. Preds got worse while their window is wide open.

For all we know, the picks have a great chance of amounting to nothing and same could be said about the promising prospect.

Subban's play last year wasn't Norris quality though, he was bad for the majority of last year. We're not a better team with him on our second pairing than we are with Duchene and Fabbro.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Keep laughing lol. We got a 4 years older D while we are retooling. We could've had a King ransom for Subban at the time. What the Preds just got is irrevelant To the habs

If the Preds do nothing with the cap space Poile will look like a fool. Its almost a given that Duchene is signing. So the trade is basically Subban VS Duchene and the return from the Devils. Not bad at all.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Some would say you guys sold low on him big time

Of course they did, but if he's equally disappointing next season, there would be no selling him period. Poile felt like he needed cap space this season, oh well.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Keep laughing lol. We got a 4 years older D while we are retooling. We could've had a King ransom for Subban at the time. What the Preds just got is irrevelant To the habs

If the Preds do nothing with the cap space Poile will look like a fool. Its almost a given that Duchene is signing. So the trade is basically Subban VS Duchene and the return from the Devils. Not bad at all.

Sadly this is not how it works. Its Subban vs what you got from NJ period. As for Duchene, we'll see on july 1st if its a given that he signs there, but it doesn't change anything of the trade itself.

Shero took advantage of Poile just like Waddell took advantage of Dubas in the Marleau trade.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
PK is being severely underrated lol

Youd think hes 37 by some of these responses. The man had an injury-rittled season playing almost 2ATOI less minutes than hes used to and still paced at around 40 points

The people trying to put him down are just upset their team didnt get him so cheap. I expect he has another Norris-candidate season in NJ.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Youd think hes 37 by some of these responses. The man had an injury-rittled season playing almost 2ATOI less minutes than hes used to and still paced at around 40 points

The people trying to put him down are just upset their team didnt get him so cheap. I expect he has another Norris-candidate season in NJ.

While I think, and hope, he'll rebound from last year, he was noticeably bad this year. NJs is getting a good gamble on him rebounding, a game changing top pairing guy at his best while not giving up a 1st or a core member, you take that every day. BUT, if he plays like he did the majority of this year he will be your teams whipping boy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Sadly this is not how it works. Its Subban vs what you got from NJ period. As for Duchene, we'll see on july 1st if its a given that he signs there, but it doesn't change anything of the trade itself.

Shero took advantage of Poile just like Waddell took advantage of Dubas in the Marleau trade.

How did you go from

" For all we know, the picks have a great chance of amounting to nothing and same could be said about the promising prospect. "

to this

"like Waddell took advantage of Dubas in the Marleau trade"

in two posts?

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
How did you go from

" For all we know, the picks have a great chance of amounting to nothing and same could be said about the promising prospect. "

to this

"like Waddell took advantage of Dubas in the Marleau trade"

in two posts?

Does it matter though or you're just trying to deviate the subject away from your team's poor trade, which is the topic of this very thread.

And for the record these two quotes go very well with each other if you add back "Shero took advantage of Poile ..." Between the two quotes

Edit : just saw you were a leafs fan

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
While I think, and hope, he'll rebound from last year, he was noticeably bad this year. NJs is getting a good gamble on him rebounding, a game changing top pairing guy at his best while not giving up a 1st or a core member, you take that every day. BUT, if he plays like he did the majority of this year he will be your teams whipping boy.
Doubt it (being a whipping boy). Hes only signed for three years so even if by some chance it doesnt work out, he still does good for the fanbase and community.

I think its a very high chance he works out. People are making it seem like his ‘down year’ was middle to lowend top-4 play, and it wasnt. He still played at a #2-3 dman level while injured and sacrificng time.

He will ‘bounce back’, or as I see it maintain his near #1 defenseman status for the remainder of the deal

TK

Feb 26, 2019

You can't act like there's zero risk in the deal. 2 of the 3 seasons he spent in Nashville involved injury and mostly mediocre overall regular season play. He was great in his 2nd year and always showed up in the playoffs though.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Does it matter though or you're just trying to deviate the subject away from your team's poor trade, which is the topic of this very thread.

And for the record these two quotes go very well with each other if you add back "Shero took advantage of Poile ..." Between the two quotes

Edit : just saw you were a leafs fan

It matters when your posts make it seem like you are talking out both sides of your mouth, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad