Confirmed Trade: [NSH/NJD] P.K. Subban traded to Devils for Santini, Davies, 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah yeah, but Subban does it only to look good! He doesn't mean it! He is only showboating to be the center of the talks. So individualist! He's obviously lying when he says he's excited to go to Jersey. How could he really be you know? Rinne says Subban isn't loud at all in the locker room? LIE! He says that just because it's his teammate! Hall say he is happy to see Subban traded to the Devils? Of course he'll say that! No choice! I'm sure he isn't!

I know I sound stupid saying all of the above... But I hear/read that all the time here in Quebec.

I've never seen that much prejudices, misconceptions, preconceived ideas about ANY NHL player before him.

But ya know.. He loves the cameras, funny hats and suits, loud music and all... So he HAS to be a "distraction" in the room... whatever the **** that means... Those guys are pros ffs... If a player can't accept diversity in a locker room, HE is the problem IMO.
NHL can use more guys like PK.

There is so much talk and even on these boards how NHLers are so vanilla or boring. Their interviews they are like programmed robots. They need more guys like PK that are having fun. His IG is one of my favorite NHLers to follow as he actually looks like a human being enjoying the life he is able to have due to his skills. Not like others who have accounts that you'd expect from a CEO of a world wide company.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
After a couple days to marinate, I'm happy. Both teams did well here. Devils received a solid D who is very marketable for their owner$hip.

Preds got a decent return on a declining D and got much needed cap relief.

Hopefully PK gets rejuvenated.

OxheadHorseface

Feb 8, 2018
Lists like that are meaningless. Every team has a bunch of early 20s tweeners that skew the average age lower, the real question is the age of your core players. Zajac, Cammalleri, and Stempniak were all in their 30s. The top scorer on the Devils that season was Kyle Palmieri, who Ray Shero acquired for a 2nd round draft pick immediately after arriving in NJ. The 7th leading scorer on the team was Reid Boucher with NINETEEN points. But please, enlighten us, if there was so much good young talent on that team, which players have gone on to have productive NHL careers. This should be good.

The roster was a disaster. That's beyond debate. Lou was a beloved GM here, there's a reason he was run out of town: he absolutely wrecked the team. The real question is why you're gaslighting people and why your transparent trolling is being tolerated.

Shero is not beyond criticism. I think he's done an excellent job, but if you want to discuss his picks, trades, and signings, rather than go off on weird rants about the draft lottery, I'll be happy to engage.

Don't forget that among the first things Shero did before that season was buy out Zubrus and let Havlat, Ruutu, and Bernier walk. Shero spent the first few years just clearing/waiting out bad players and contracts left behind by Lou with a bare prospect pool headlined by the likes of Boucher, Matteau and Quenneville. Instead of the opening night roster for 2015-2016, he should be looking at the players who played over the 2014-2015 season and the UFAs left unsigned. Furthermore, the opening night roster for 2015-2016 included Shero acquisitions, Palmieri and Moore (both 24 at the start of the season) and Zacha who was later sent down.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
I'm happy for NJ, bringing a player with that much personnality in an organisation that has been considered beige for decades will change that perception.

The futur is promising there.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Some people like that type of personality,some don't. I'd not be a fan if he was traded to the team I play on.
And what is that type of personality exactly?

Look man, you probably can't get someone more different than me and Subban personality wise. I'm shy, silent, don't really like social interactions just for the sake of it, I dress classy but boring... you get the idea?

There is not one locker room where everybody are friends. That's life. But if you can't even accept diversity, you are the problem.

Anyways, according To Pekka Rinne, Subban is really not the same in the room as outside of it. But for some reason, the myth that Subban is a bad teammate is strong. Maybe its true.. But I can't see it.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
And what is that type of personality exactly?

Look man, you probably can't get someone more different than me and Subban personality wise. I'm shy, silent, don't really like social interactions just for the sake of it, I dress classy but boring... you get the idea?

There is not one locker room where everybody are friends. That's life. But if you can't even accept diversity, you are the problem.

Anyways, according To Pekka Rinne, Subban is really not the same in the room as outside of it.

I hear you, been in many different locker rooms over the years. Everyone has their own way,familiarity transcends time and behavior. However,having a certain type personality in a room,divides and creates cliques. There used to be a hierarchy in sport everyone earns their spot,it was not automatic to be the alpha.

Reactions: MaxDummy

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Why move RHD Vatanen to the left side and LHD Smith to the right side? Just have them play their natural positions.
From what a Ducks fan mentioned (going with that, no idea before Devs where he played) Vats played Left side almost exclusively. Smith can't jump to the top pairing and being with Greene cant hurt. Unless they are making a move to acquire a top LS LHD with Vats as part of that pkg it makes some sense.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Here's an assignment for you. See link below.

Please, if you're going to overstate the setbacks of the past and what really happened in fantasy vs reality, at least get it right.

james mirtle: 2015-16 NHL teams by height, weight and age - A hockey journalist's blog

Don't forget that among the first things Shero did before that season was buy out Zubrus and let Havlat, Ruutu, and Bernier walk. Shero spent the first few years just clearing/waiting out bad players and contracts left behind by Lou with a bare prospect pool headlined by the likes of Boucher, Matteau and Quenneville. Instead of the opening night roster for 2015-2016, he should be looking at the players who played over the 2014-2015 season and the UFAs left unsigned. Furthermore, the opening night roster for 2015-2016 included Shero acquisitions, Palmieri and Moore (both 24 at the start of the season) and Zacha who was later sent down.

Well since your being dickish, I'll play along, here's your homework:
First, what kind of an idiot uses Devils/Adam Larsson (drafted in 2011 while Shero was in Pitt) moving up 4 spots against Shero?
The team that Shero had to work with was the ’14-15 team which had an avg age of 30.5 when the league average was 28.2. Back out 24 yo kyle palm from Mirtles stats, he was a Shero trade remember?
You probably blame Cory's hip surgery on Shero!

Here’s who is in that awesome lineup you posted:
Travis Zajac 30yo 14 G, 28 A, 42 P
Tuomo Ruutu 32yo 0 G, 1 A, 1 P
Jordin Tootoo 32yo 4 G, 5 A, 9 P
Stephen Gionta 32yo 1 G, 10 A, 11 P
Lee Stempniak 32yo 16 G, 25 A, 41 P

Andy Greene (C) 33yo 4 G, 9 A, 13 P
Mike Cammalleri 33yo 14 G, 24 A, 38 P
Yann Danis 34yo 0-1-0, 4.75 GAA
Patrik Elias 39yo 2 G, 6 A, 8 P

You have no way of telling if the ’15 team would have had retreads like Ryder/Zidlicky/Zubby/Havlat. He bought out Mike Cams, yeah horrible idea.

“Setbacks of the past” Here is a list of the players drafted before Shero:
2014 Entry
30 1 John Quenneville (traded)
41 2 Joshua Jacobs
71 3 Connor Chatham
131 5 Ryan Rehill

152 6 J.D. Dudek
161 6 Brandon Baddock

2013 Entry
42 2 Steven Santini 53 (traded)
73 3 Ryan Kujawinski (traded)

100 4 Miles Wood
160 6 Myles Bell
208 7 Anthony Brodeur

2012 Entry
29 1 Stefan Matteau UGH!
60 2 Damon Severson
90 3 Ben Johnson
96 4 Ben Thomson
135 5 Graham Black
150 5 Alexander Kerfoot
180 6 Artur Gavrus

That doesn’t even count Josefson @ 20th in ’09 and Tendeby @ 24 in ’08!
Smoked Chia in the Hall for Lars trade!
Meanwhile Shero gets Davies @192nd in ’16, Bratt @ 162 in ’16, Ty Smith @ 17 in ’18. Boqvist @ 36 in ’17
I won’t count Nico but I should since Patrick was the consensus pick. Shero ignored it and picked the right player, Patrick just got moved to the 3rd C with Hayes signing, Nico’s at worst a #2 two way center for years to come, Patrick probably moved if no increase in totals this year!

• SHERO DIDN’T LET PARISE WALK FOR NOTHING!
  • He traded 43 yo Jagr for a 2nd and a 3rd
  • Shero convinced Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher to sign here (81 5-39-44 in year one)
  • He traded Henrique, a center (area of strength) coming up on FA (later signed for $5.825 through '23-24 season)for a 1A RHD in Vatanen (area of weakness)
  • He turned Marcus Johansson to Boston into a 2019 second-round draft pick and a 2020 fourth-round pick
  • He traded F 34 yo Brian Boyle to Nashville for a 2019 second-round draft pick.
  • Connor Carrick and a 2019 third-round pick for Ben friggin Lovejoy
  • Marty Brodeur is back as VP of Marketing Something or other!
Am I pissed that he didn't make a move last off season, ABSOLUTELY! He also needs a partner to dance with!
Can he do better, for sure!
Your turn!

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Somehow, I find it hard to believe that Subban is a shell of his former self because of a down season.

These reactions are at least worth 2 classless subbans.

He was very good for us in the 2017 cup run. Some injuries his first year and missed 19-20 games last year. Nothing now that I know of though.
Stud #1D might be generous, but he is still very good and can handle 20-25 mins. Big point shot, can carry the puck and a few spin-o-ramas. He'll be fine.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Shero has literally rebuilt this franchise from the ground up in 4 years, when he took over there was practically nothing of value on our NHL roster, which was one of the oldest in the league; coupled with our bottom 5 prospect pool.

He had practically nothing to work with, i’m in awe when I compare our 2015 roster to the one we have today.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
My guess is in the last 3 years, the habs will send Weber to the Preds for a pittance and let the Preds LTIR him. He shows up once a year and collects a million $ cheque.

And why would it be for a pittance ? If Nashville is staring at a Cap Recapture of $24M over 3 years, why would Montreal accept a pittance so that Nashville dodges that bullet ?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Wait, you abandoned the Preds to become a Tampa fan?

That's... Interesting.

And why would the NHL give the Devils $ and a 1st rounder back for the Kovy debacle and not at least (strongly) consider giving the Preds relief?
No I have been a fan of Tampa, Colorado, Buffalo and the Preds for a long time I continue to follow the Preds but follow the Bolts more now.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

TK

Feb 26, 2019
And why would it be for a pittance ? If Nashville is staring at a Cap Recapture of $24M over 3 years, why would Montreal accept a pittance so that Nashville dodges that bullet ?

They won't trade him at all, they'll put him on LTIR and have to deal with that themselves. No one retires with money left on the table when they don't have to. Callahan, Hossa, Pronger... it's easy to see where Weber is likely headed.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Jeremy Davies is a phenomenal skater with exceptional puck moving skills

Nashville is a defenseman factory and a player with Davies skill set is absolutely going to flourish

As Devils fan, I agree with this. Think Davies will be an NHL player in Nashville. Not the type of player that you will regret trading for PK Subban, but a productive player.

I think an underrated piece of this deal for NJ is the inclusion of Santini. With TWO years remaining at 1.4 this is a bad contract, despite the fact that the $ is not prohibitive.

Santini has been bad, has limited ceiling and that contract was a head scratcher in the first place. Its negative value for NJ, as Santini appeared to be headed to a spot on waivers, Binghampton or at best the press box - and that was before the Subban add.

So taking into account the unloading of that contract makes it more doable for the Devils financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia