Speculation: Now or Never ?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm not saying we're going to become a lottery team by 2017, the core is solid and we'll be capable to compete for many years to come but It's incredibly hard to make the Finals, let alone to win the Cup itself. That doesn't take rocket science, before the cap crunch goes in full swing, the coming season could very well be our best chance to win the Prize.

SFY is likely to keep Ben Bishop for his last shot with us, Big Ben who's in my opinion the only guy that can give Price a run for his money as the most valuable goaltender in the league. Now that Carle is gone, mostly due to the emergence of Koek2, our defense looks set, Hedman is entering his prime, Stralman, Garrison and the rest is solid. The forward group is a perfect mix of youth being playoffs tested and a seasoned veteran presence.

So why this thread ? I started it to remind us that next season is not a "season like the others", a season where we should be happy "if we make the playoffs" or ok "to pass the first round". Let's be honest, we've never been stronger, and on paper, we maybe won't be for some time. Brace yourselves people, this is the kind of moment when you tell the jinx to GTFO and having high expectations is the right thing to do... Because we might never have a better opportunity to win the Stanley Cup with this group again, and we all know how much they deserve it. It is now, just do it boys.

Let's go Lightning.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I just look at it as this is the best year as we know that the team can win a cup. Our team could still be better going forward but we know this team and what it's capable of. Next year the team could look different and unknown factor is a bit unsettling. Only because of the unknown. But I trust SY. I think the team has a lot of years left in them.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is absolutely the best team they'll have had since emerging in 2014, we'll be taking a step back with Vasi adjusting to a full time next year, and for who knows how many years.

The skill is there, their competitiveness is something I see lacking, far too comfortable at times and not going into dirty areas when they should be in the playoffs. The 2004 team wasn't nearly as skilled but they wanted it more than everyone.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I just look at it as this is the best year as we know that the team can win a cup. Our team could still be better going forward but we know this team and what it's capable of. Next year the team could look different and unknown factor is a bit unsettling. Only because of the unknown. But I trust SY. I think the team has a lot of years left in them.

nope time to panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surrender:scared::scared::scared:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I agree that this may be the best version of the team. We still have plenty of years as a contender to look forward to after this year. We'll lose a core piece, but I trust Yzerman to get a reasonable return to recycle into future rosters.
Our depth will take a hit, and we may have to hope for steady cap increases.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Don't worry guys, we'll have the best goalie of all time in Vasilevskiy. Just need to string some games together, you'll see!

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Don't worry guys, we'll have the best goalie of all time in Vasilevskiy. Just need to string some games together, you'll see!

We're all deathly afrad that the most overhyped goalie of all time, Trashilevski, won't be able to string enough back up appearances behind Bishop together to get us to the promised land.

DOOM!!!

:sarcasm:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Bro is your head even on str8, VasLOLski is the reason we lost the cup!!!

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
nope time to panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surrender:scared::scared::scared:

It's not a matter of panicking, but at some point you have to go all in. If you don't throw picks and prospects to acquire veterans who know how to win in the playoffs, you will never win because there will always be multiple other teams willing to do this, and they will always have enough of an advantage that you won't win 4 rounds of hockey. "We're on the right track" is for fans to say. A GM needs to recognize when to sacrifice the future for a parade next June.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
This is our best chance, but can't say now or never. Look how long it took for Crosby and Malkin to get their second, but they got it.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
In a couple of years time we will have the same core except ... we'll have a mix of Stephens, Howden, Point, Katchouk, Raddysh, Erne, Joseph, etc in bottom 6 roles. Replacing the likes of Brown, Paquette, Condra, Boyle, etc.

This is not the best team we are going to field ... in three-four years time our core will still be in their prime and we'll have a host of talented forwards making the jump. We'll still have a 30 year old Stammer/Hedman with a prime Vasi/Kuch ... and a host of up and coming prospects to fill bottom line roles. The only position that I worry about is RHD as Stralman and Coburn will have to be replaced during that time frame and don't see a #2 and a #4 in the pipeline on the right side.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Drouin traded for a haul tbh. Point and Gusev can be cheaper playmaking options on the top 6 in a couple of years time.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In a couple of years time we will have the same core except ... we'll have a mix of Stephens, Howden, Point, Katchouk, Raddysh, Erne, Joseph, etc in bottom 6 roles. Replacing the likes of Brown, Paquette, Condra, Boyle, etc.

This is not the best team we are going to field ... in three-four years time our core will still be in their prime and we'll have a host of talented forwards making the jump. We'll still have a 30 year old Stammer/Hedman with a prime Vasi/Kuch ... and a host of up and coming prospects to fill bottom line roles. The only position that I worry about is RHD as Stralman and Coburn will have to be replaced during that time frame and don't see a #2 and a #4 in the pipeline on the right side.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Drouin traded for a haul tbh. Point and Gusev can be cheaper playmaking options on the top 6 in a couple of years time.

In 4 years Sustr will be 29 and in his prime as a #2 while Blujus will be a 26 year old #4, we're good there.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Not only is Drouin poised to be a superstar but he's basically our only hope of Stamkos even coming close to live out his contract. Losing him would be a catastrophe.

The problem is Kucherov is going to get a bigger contract than most people around here naively thought he would and Drouin's going to get one too if he performs as expected. Next summer is going to be brutal - among others we're almost certainly going to lose a Triplet next summer and it'll most likely be Johnson.

So yes, it may not be now or never but it's pretty damn close unless Point can step in and seamlessly replace TJ.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not only is Drouin poised to be a superstar but he's basically our only hope of Stamkos even coming close to live out his contract. Losing him would be a catastrophe.

The problem is Kucherov is going to get a bigger contract than most people around here naively thought he would and Drouin's going to get one too if he performs as expected. Next summer is going to be brutal - among others we're almost certainly going to lose a Triplet next summer and it'll most likely be Johnson.

So yes, it may not be now or never but it's pretty damn close unless Point can step in and seamlessly replace TJ.

I love how Stamkos is just alright but if paired with mighty Drouin he can be a superstar again. Stamkos will be a 40-30 guy the next 5 years with an occasional 45 goal season then he'll be a 30 goal scorer probably the last 3. Drouin might have 1 ppg season but I wouldn't expect him to put up Kane numbers every year, he'll be a 40-50 assists guy.

What contract is that? Most expect somewhere in the 6.5 range. I can see 7 but not more than that, he doesn't have the regular season numbers to get Tarasenko money. Drouin is not getting 6.5 even if he goes ppg, he'll need to score 100 points to get that much. He's looking at 4-4.5 bridge deal. Depending on who we lose in the expansion draft and who we can trade we might be able to keep Johnson and Palat.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

Not only are people being naïve about what these players are going to re-sign for, there is this misconception that players have “taken a discountâ€. Stamkos basically had a choice to take the same after taxes take home pay to go to a rebuilding team or to stay with a contender, so he made the logical choice. Hedman is the 2nd highest paid Dman after Subban’s dumb contract and he is not yet the 2nd best Dman. Killorn is now a very high paid 40 point player. Paquette, Brown, and Namestnikov are the only contracts this summer that you could say took a discount and the amount is insignificant in the big picture. Whatever Kucherov wants, it is way more than SY has left to spend. If Drouin continues at his playoff pace, there is no way he takes some 4 mil bridge deal. Players with NMC are not going to waive them and buyouts are brutal for future budgets. And yes, the future is totally dependent on prospects being able to replace the players we will no longer be able to afford. This is just the reality.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I love how Stamkos is just alright but if paired with mighty Drouin he can be a superstar again. Stamkos will be a 40-30 guy the next 5 years with an occasional 45 goal season then he'll be a 30 goal scorer probably the last 3. Drouin might have 1 ppg season but I wouldn't expect him to put up Kane numbers every year, he'll be a 40-50 assists guy.

What contract is that? Most expect somewhere in the 6.5 range. I can see 7 but not more than that, he doesn't have the regular season numbers to get Tarasenko money. Drouin is not getting 6.5 even if he goes ppg, he'll need to score 100 points to get that much. He's looking at 4-4.5 bridge deal. Depending on who we lose in the expansion draft and who we can trade we might be able to keep Johnson and Palat.

If he has a great season there's not a chance in hell Drouin signs a $4-4.5M bridge deal. Just like Kuch was never going to sign in the $5M range like some people on here actually thought he would (IIRC some people were even crazy enough to say the low $5M range.)

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Not only are people being naïve about what these players are going to re-sign for, there is this misconception that players have “taken a discountâ€. Stamkos basically had a choice to take the same after taxes take home pay to go to a rebuilding team or to stay with a contender, so he made the logical choice. Hedman is the 2nd highest paid Dman after Subban’s dumb contract and he is not yet the 2nd best Dman. Killorn is now a very high paid 40 point player. Paquette, Brown, and Namestnikov are the only contracts this summer that you could say took a discount and the amount is insignificant in the big picture. Whatever Kucherov wants, it is way more than SY has left to spend. If Drouin continues at his playoff pace, there is no way he takes some 4 mil bridge deal. Players with NMC are not going to waive them and buyouts are brutal for future budgets. And yes, the future is totally dependent on prospects being able to replace the players we will no longer be able to afford. This is just the reality.

Exactly! And unfortunately some of those players we will no longer be able to afford have been more valuable to the team, especially in the playoffs, than the guy we just signed to an $8.5M x 8 deal. Which is why I'm saying Yzerman blew this offseason.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If he has a great season there's not a chance in hell Drouin signs a $4-4.5M bridge deal. Just like Kuch was never going to sign in the $5M range like some people on here actually thought he would (IIRC some people were even crazy enough to say the low $5M range.)

What do you consider a great season? Drouin hasn't even had 1 good season to get 4-4.5. He's going to need a great season just to be in discussion for that. Johnson and Palat got 3.3 after a 50 and 59 point season, Drouin's going to need close to 70 for 4.5 or more.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
What do you consider a great season? Drouin hasn't even had 1 good season to get 4-4.5. He's going to need a great season just to be in discussion for that. Johnson and Palat got 3.3 after a 50 and 59 point season, Drouin's going to need close to 70 for 4.5 or more.

That would be great, and it sounds logical except for one thing, draft pedigree. An agent negotiating for a #3 overall is in a different position than one representing an undrafted player or a 7th rounder. Walsh will have the whole “ceiling†argument on his side. A 60 point season for Drouin will mean 6 million minimum because they will argue that his ceiling is 80+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad