Post-Game Talk: Nov, 24th. Calgary Flames @ Anaheim Ducks - "Duck Hunt" Edition - SN-W

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Honestly, this loss was not really different from any other Honda Center tire fire. I'm pretty calm and collected right now. Didn't expect to win before the game. Didn't expect when we were up 2-0. Didn't expect to win when we were up 3-2. Didn't expect to win when we pulled the goalie during a power play. Didn't expect to keep them from scoring on the Empty Net.

That was just the Honda Center at its finest.

I'm not entirely confident Hartley is the coach of the future for us at this point. What worked for us last year isn't working this year... at all. I could actually see Carlyle doing some good here.

Carlyle plays virtually the same damn "system" Hartley does. You do not want him coaching the Flames. That's the definition of a lateral move. Honestly maybe we should hire Troy G Ward. He seemed to be pretty cognizant of the fact that Hartley's system does not work.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Prime opportunity to climb out of the basement and they wasted it. The division sucks, but that just makes losses to divisional opponents all the more costly. The game against Arizona on Friday will be a big one; will be exciting to see Domi and Duclair.

The Oilers and Blue Jackets play tomorrow. The Flames could conceivably be tied for last if the Oilers win and the Blue Jackets get at least a point.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
About your custom user title, would PWjunior Jr, be PW III?

Probably. But I like PWJunior Jr better. I got that because 2 seasons ago, PWJuniorhad the bad case of the runs during a game the Isles won in a blowout, so then poop became our good luck charm. I don't want to say why he quit that job because it's a bit personal, but last season I had the runs and we won the game in a blowout, with me missing every goal from being in the bathroom. So I timed when I have to poop for the Isles games and we did good last year, so PW said I have the golden bowels. I'll try to time my poops for Calgary and let's see if that works.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Honestly maybe we should hire Troy G Ward. He seemed to be pretty cognizant of the fact that Hartley's system does not work.

He was hired & fired from the Vancouver Giants last year after about a week. Now a coach in the USHL. I don't know what the answer is but I doubt it's the guy who's career has gone in a tailspin.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Terrible possession 5 on 5, terrible pk (gotta be last after tonight), terrible powerplay. The coaching staff has got to go.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames got an A+ performance from the second line last night; sad part is no one else showed up. Pucks on the sticks of both Monny and Johnny with open nets late in the game and neither hit home. Hartley really screwed up with the forth line tonight as well, in addition to having Jooris out there taking key faceoffs.

No idea why the forth line starts against the Ducks first in the neutral zone, clean faceoff win, we don't see the puck again until it's in the back of the net. Jooris (14%) takes two key PK faceoffs, loses both, first one's in the back of our net within seconds; the second Jooris marches down into the other end, instead of playing it deep: slip, turnover, goal. I don't want to single a forth line player out, because clearly the team needs to be better, and I like Jooris.

That was a frustrating game. Calgary should of had that one, in a major way. Also, when Wideman or Giordano are out there at the offensive end, it's like someone playing NHL16 who wants them to score. It's like 9 bodies in front: shoot.

I'd like to see some bodies start moving to be honest. Get some guys from the A up; get some guys who are not doing anything down or sitting a few games. Bollig and Raymond don't provide much for this Flames side. May as well see what we have in Shore, Billy Arnold, F. Hamilton; even bring Grant back up; because he was an excellent 4C in his time here.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Definitely. Can't win a faceoff, fire coaching staff. That's pretty sound logic.

I'm pretty torn on what to do about the coaches, honestly. Mostly Hartley.

While I agree with some of the people who had said that the last thing a rebuilding team needs is a revolving door of coaches (a la Edmonton), it's pretty clear that Hartley (at least some of the time) has no ****ing idea what he's doing with our roster. Just last night, even: what in the world was Wideman doing out there in the last 90 seconds? I thought we were all about earning our roster spots. But I guess it's totally fine that Wideman took a bad penalty that led to the goal that literally lost us the game and then he's out there in crunch time. At this point I would put almost anyone else out there ahead of Wideman in the final minute, (even Engelland, who doesn't score, but at least he knows what the **** he's doing.)

I'm also not a fan of how Hartley manages the goalies, which is more a topic for a different thread, but it lends itself to this conversation as well.

I'm not saying Hartley should be fired, but something clearly isn't working.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Terrible possession 5 on 5, terrible pk (gotta be last after tonight), terrible powerplay. The coaching staff has got to go.

Thats really the biggest issue and its a BIG issue.

No matter how players develop individually, this team collectively needs to get way better at possession. Im no hockey coach so not sure how you develop that. Is it based on player development, system, or do you need specific type of players to create that? This team has talent but mostly its made up of young kids who cannot create space for themselves or their team mates... well except for Colborne.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm pretty torn on what to do about the coaches, honestly. Mostly Hartley.

While I agree with some of the people who had said that the last thing a rebuilding team needs is a revolving door of coaches (a la Edmonton), it's pretty clear that Hartley (at least some of the time) has no ****ing idea what he's doing with our roster. Just last night, even: what in the world was Wideman doing out there in the last 90 seconds? I thought we were all about earning our roster spots. But I guess it's totally fine that Wideman took a bad penalty that led to the goal that literally lost us the game and then he's out there in crunch time. At this point I would put almost anyone else out there ahead of Wideman in the final minute, (even Engelland, who doesn't score, but at least he knows what the **** he's doing.)

I'm also not a fan of how Hartley manages the goalies, which is more a topic for a different thread, but it lends itself to this conversation as well.

I'm not saying Hartley should be fired, but something clearly isn't working.

Why was Wideman out there? Big RH shot to increase odds of a one-timer. He and Hamilton should have been alternating the final 3 minutes or so for this reason alone.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Puck possession starts with winning faceoffs. If your not winning them, any system will look bad.

The Kings are the best possession team in the league, and a poor faceoff team this year (48.4%)
The Predators, likewise. (48.9%)
The Blues, likewise (49.7%)

The Coyotes are a strong faceoff team (52.9%), and a worse possession team than the Flames.

THe reason faceoffs seem to affect the Flames more than those other teams is because our defensive system calls for sitting back in the slot after a lost faceoff. The Kings' defensive system calls for pressuring the puck and forcing a turnover.

Aug 21, 2014
You believe all of those are because of face off percent? Really?

The relationship between those stats and face off percents is weak at best.

On a PP lose faceoff run after puck. On a PK lose faceoff, run after puck. Goalie pulled on a 6-5? Lose faceoff run after puck. Need I say more?

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
On a PP lose faceoff run after puck. On a PK lose faceoff, run after puck. Goalie pulled on a 6-5? Lose faceoff run after puck. Need I say more?

It's the running around part that's concerning, because as stated above, bad faceoff teams have no issues getting possesion back.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The team is younger and on the smaller side. They need to get physically stronger IMO.

Our statistically worst possession forwards are Colborne, Jones, Stajan, and Monahan. All 6'2 / ~200lbs or greater.

Our statistically best forwards are Backlund, Raymond, and Bennett. All ~6'0 / 185lbs. Last year you could add Byron to that mix at 5'6" / 175lbs

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Our statistically worst possession forwards are Colborne, Jones, Stajan, and Monahan. All 6'2 / ~200lbs or greater.

Our statistically best forwards are Backlund, Raymond, and Bennett. All ~6'0 / 185lbs. Last year you could add Byron to that mix at 5'6" / 175lbs

Who cares about the possession numbers. Its funny because I would say Colborne, Jones and Stajan has been one of the better line the last two weeks. So your saying if we had Byron back and play Raymond more our teams a winner?

May 27, 2012
Earth
#FreeMason

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

compass.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad