Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Didn't really have to read your post beyond that. The stats support that goal tending was bad. You supported that goal tending was bad. Stats say team played well enough to win over half those games. I watched the games, goal tending looked very bad in them.

Why watch a game when you can just read the box score eh?

So when the team plays well and there are high danger chances like 2 on 1's, cross crease passes, tipped pucks against and injured goalie, what do you think is going to happen? Victory? You cant just dismiss the influence a goalie with reduced mobility can have on a game. Conversely when Campbell was on that heater, he was covering up for some really really poor team play. .. team metrics probably looked good then too. If the expectation is that when a goalie is injured. playing with reduced mobility, when the team in front of him shits the bed night in night out and the goat horns are only placed on the goalie, well you don't know a thing about the game.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We saw them. All teams turn over the puck at the blue line, get caught in 2 on 1's, and let point shots through with occasional tips every game. It's more a question of how often it's happening, if it's happening more than most teams, or more than the opposition. Taking that into consideration when watching the game, the Leafs played better than the opposing teams, and the stats support that. If your standard of playing poorly is because that stuff happened in that game, then you would never accept that a goalie is not playing very well, because losing would never be his fault.

Stats exist and are used by professionals, because even professionals struggle to precisely internalize the magnitude of these errors, due to varying inherent psychological biases. Your beer league experience does not lift you above that.

That situation is with a goalie that is playing hurt and ends up on IR for a month?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So when the team plays well and there are high danger chances like 2 on 1's, cross crease passes, tipped pucks against and injured goalie, what do you think is going to happen? Victory?

Given varying degrees of these high danger chances happen against all teams in all games, yes. One team who gave up 2 on 1's, cross crease passes, had pucks tipped against them will pull away victoriously. The one that does will be a function of how many of them they actually gave up, and how well their goalie stopped them. It's pretty basic stuff.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That situation is with a goalie that is playing hurt and ends up on IR for a month?

This whole conversation started with you denying that the main reason the Leafs went on a skid is due to poor goal tending.

You have nothing less to highlight than poor goal tending. So we're done here. You've backpedalled all the way home.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
How it started:

Funny thing is the most outlier stat in a our bad stretches was awful goaltending, not overall play.

Keep saying it does not make it true, it makes you look like a guy who is either 1) Uneducated on the facts or 2) manipulative that you are trying to Gaslight or worse, both. Either way its not a good look on you.

How it's going :laugh: :

When he was injured and fell apart? Right.

We had poor goal tending!

The goaltending stats in that stretch was mostly a result of poor team play.

No, it was poor team play!

Poor team play and an injured goalie caused the poor stretch.

No, we had poor goal tending!

Yes, poor goal tending!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Can we just move on I'm sure people don't want to read this sort of back and forth. Lets try to be respectful of the subject we are discussing, Leafs 1st round match up.

Lets get back on track.

If you want it to stop, you're going to have to "walk away". The poster you are in a discussion with will never allow you to have the last word. :teach2:

Reactions: ACC1224

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Finding out that Montreal will have fans at game 6 gives me a terrible feeling.

Like we are being primed for an all time disaster.

Reactions: mikeyz

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Not sure where it came from but this article dismisses it:

Fans not expected to be allowed into Canadian arenas for NHL playoffs - 680 NEWS

OTTAWA – Canada’s deputy chief public health officer doesn’t see the country joining the U.S. in allowing fans into arenas during the NHL playoffs.
Dr. Howard Njoo says allowing fans into games is not under “serious consideration” at this point in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Is it a full house or just a small number of fans? In any case, I'm not worried. The gap between us and them should be too big for the presence of fans to swing it in their favour.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Watching the game is always the best metric. Been watching/playing for 47 years, I think I got a pretty good understanding of when a team is playing poorly.

You want me to provide support? OK go to SNET and TSN and watch the entire game. Watch for the turnovers at our blue line by Dermott, watch for the shitty way Rielly plays 2 on 1's. watch for the tipped goals.

Lmao okay I watched the games too.

The difference between you and me is that the stats agree with what I’m seeing.

Our defence turns the puck over every game, just like every other team does. The difference is that Campbell and other goalies stop the puck. Andersen does not.

Campbell makes saves. Andersen makes excuses.

That’s why Campbell is starting game 1.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I just think it's funny that people think the Habs are going to magically turn into this defensive juggernaut just because it's the post-season. Yes play tends to tighten up, but it's not going to turn average players into stars.

Matthews' absolutely feasted on them this year.
I think Price is a big X-factor for them, and the fact they surprised last year scares me.

Mostly I think I'm just conditioned to expect disappointment though, we should be able to wrap this up relatively easily. If not, it says more about this team than it does the Habs IMO.

Reactions: ACC1224

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Not sure where it came from but this article dismisses it:

Fans not expected to be allowed into Canadian arenas for NHL playoffs - 680 NEWS

OTTAWA – Canada’s deputy chief public health officer doesn’t see the country joining the U.S. in allowing fans into arenas during the NHL playoffs.
Dr. Howard Njoo says allowing fans into games is not under “serious consideration” at this point in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Habs released a statement saying they expect to have fans in the arena after May 28th.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

seriously? are we setting up the excuses already?

"We lost because the other team fans in the building" :shakehead

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Habs released a statement saying they expect to have fans in the arena after May 28th.

Ahh, well let's hope they are out in 5 and the Habs won't look like fools in case the Leberals deny them. Then again, our leader has been known to have conflicts of interest and is a Habs fan so I guess anything is possible. ;)

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think Price is a big X-factor for them, and the fact they surprised last year scares me.

Mostly I think I'm just conditioned to expect disappointment though, we should be able to wrap this up relatively easily. If not, it says more about this team than it does the Habs IMO.

I feel you.

I think we should be fine if we face elite goal tending.

However if we face insane .950+ goal tending again I’ll book a 3 month escape to a cabin in the Yukon.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Looks like Ontario will be the last province to have fun.
Yes, that being said, the pressure is building daily on Ontario to reopen. They already said yesterday an announcement of reopening certain things (largely outdoors) will take place on or BEFORE June 2 (when this stay-at-home order ends).

Reactions: Metroid

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Fortunately Price has looked pretty bad lately, especially during that AHL game.

I wonder how much of a controversy it would be in Montreal if they opt to replace him with Allen halfway through the series if he flops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad