Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4) II

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I hope you all watched last nights game closely. Another typical Marner playoff performance. He was just plain bad.

AND ..... now you see why Nylander is a better player than Marner.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Keeping Nash in and taking Thornton out makes all the sense in the world. Nash actually performed extremely well on the PK and the results spoke for themselves. But for some inexplicable reason Thornton needs to be in the lineup at all costs. This is getting ridiculous already.
Same can be said for Sandin being left in lineup when bottom line his noted lack of foot speed cost us both goals against ..

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope you all watched last nights game closely. Another typical Marner playoff performance. He was just plain bad.

AND ..... now you see why Nylander is a better player than Marner.

I am optimistic about this team's chances at winning the cup, but Marner is a huge concern. If we don't even beat MTL, I wouldn't mind if he gets shipped out. Bring in players who can actually do something in the playoffs. I am sick of Marner trying to make fancy plays all the time.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Not sure why Nash is out, he did exactly what he was supposed to do. PK was excellent.

Maybe someone pointed out to Keefe that you don't need a defense only 3rd line center when you're playing against one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Or maybe that since he's been coach his own team is the worst offensive team in the league come playoffs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If they lose this series, I want sweeping changes. Shanny gone, Dubie gone, and dismantle this core. Radical? Maybe. I am just frustrated with the lack of success in the playoffs. You can't be beat by a team like Montreal when you guys always whined about having to play an elite team like Boston in the first round.

Reactions: Martin Skoula

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If they lose this series, I want sweeping changes. Shanny gone, Dubie gone, and dismantle this core. Radical? Maybe. I am just frustrated with the lack of success in the playoffs. You can't be beat by a team like Montreal when you guys always whined about having to play an elite team like Boston in the first round.
I don't see another option personally. It's one thing if a core can't get over the hump, but that hump isn't the first round vs. bad teams.

We lose and I'm looking at dramatic changes to this core as well

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Lol this is an overreaction.

Shanny gone? The guy who changed the Leafs from a joke to a top team? That Shanny?

We’re in a tough position here without Tavares, but I fully believe we will win anyway.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Shanny gone? The guy who changed the Leafs from a joke to a top team? That Shanny?

We’re in a tough position here without Tavares, but I fully believe we will win anyway.
At what point do we examine how he does with the next stage of going from skilled/capable to contender? If we lose to MTL we've failed to do that for 4 years with 2 GMs and 2 coaches.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
At what point do we examine how he does with the next stage of going from skilled/capable to contender? If we lose to MTL we've failed to do that for 4 years with 2 GMs and 2 coaches.

I’d give him another year. Next year after the whole Covid thing is hopefully a memory.

One normal season. If they f*** that up, then we need to review everything.

However, we’re down one game. The Habs and Price played the best they could and they barely beat us.

I firmly believe we’ll win this series.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I believe so too, but they can not use JT as an excuse when TB won the freaking cup without Stamkos last season who is also their captain.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I’d give him another year. Next year after the whole Covid thing is hopefully a memory.

One normal season. If they f*** that up, then we need to review everything.

However, we’re down one game. The Habs and Price played the best they could and they barely beat us.

I firmly believe we’ll win this series.
I don't see a reason to give a other year personally, hut if they did I'd handle the core MUCH differently just to test it out. Spread the big 4 across 3 lines, give Matthews or Tavares Hyman and try a more balanced approach.

Were down 1, not all hope is lost, but this "best the Habs could play" narrative is pretty garbage. They had some fantastic opportunities they flubbed

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Shanny has been here what 8 years ? I could have led the tank for the Yank and with 34 it should not be hard to change the franchise around. Unfortunately he has not been able to take the team to the next level. A loss to the Habs and it will be 5 first round exits in a row.

I agree we should be able to beat the Habs sans JT but if we don't, do we stay the course and go for 6 next year?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is a 7 games series. As long as the boys is the first to WIN 4 games, thats all it matters.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sadly, already seeing a few warning signs of poor coaching decisions that have me more nervous than anything about the teams' play. Okay, outside of Marner having a dismal outing, something that's become too close to a pattern and the unforeseen Tavares injury.

- Throwing Nash in there was a bad idea having never played with this team before. His spot should've gone to Engvall who has produced lately knowing he had to audition for a spot on the playoffs roster ... and was rewarded by being benched.
- Thornton still in the lineup. Don't really need to expand on that.
- Putting Sandin on PP1 to start the game was arguably a bad call. The PP was bad with Morgan but giving a rookie blueliner that responsibility - which he hadn't exactly earned through his looks on the PP during the season - was asking too much.
- If Keefe wants to get the PP going, pull Marner off of it. I'd go with Willie, Galchenyuk, Matthews, Simmonds or Hyman in front, Reilly at the point.

On the plus side, bringing Gally & Engvall back in is (hopefully) a good move as was recognizing the error in playing Nash and likely sitting him for Saturday's game.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Sadly, already seeing a few warning signs of poor coaching decisions that have me more nervous than anything about the teams' play. Okay, outside of Marner having a dismal outing, something that's become too close to a pattern and the unforeseen Tavares injury.

- Throwing Nash in there was a bad idea having never played with this team before. His spot should've gone to Engvall who has produced lately knowing he had to audition for a spot on the playoffs roster ... and was rewarded by being benched.
- Thornton still in the lineup. Don't really need to expand on that.
- Putting Sandin on PP1 to start the game was arguably a bad call. The PP was bad with Morgan but giving a rookie blueliner that responsibility - which he hadn't exactly earned through his looks on the PP during the season - was asking too much.
- If Keefe wants to get the PP going, pull Marner off of it. I'd go with Willie, Galchenyuk, Matthews, Simmonds or Hyman in front, Reilly at the point.

On the plus side, bringing Gally & Engvall back in is (hopefully) a good move as was recognizing the error in playing Nash and likely sitting him for Saturday's game.

I could see why Keefe needed to put Sandin on the first PP unit. Rielly wasn't getting it done there, and the PP has been at less than 7% their last 75 opportunities...would anyone be happy if Keefe kept things the same and the PP still sucked? Obviously, it was a bad result with Sandin out there and Byron scoring the shorty GWG. But yeah, Thornton was terribad last night. They need to win game 2 or else they're in trouble.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Funny thing is, most would agree that Dubas has assembled the best, most balanced, most well rounded team they have seen in their lifetime.

I think he deserves another shot.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I just noticed.. On top of this back to back I see games 6 and 7 (currently) would be scheduled for the 29th (a Saturday) and the 31st (a Monday) both at 1pm?

The actual heck?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Yea, the games are loaded with a TBD, which some systems interpret as noon Eastern. The NHL will update those times once they see how many games will be played on those days. 0% chance either of those games are afternoon affairs.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Shout out to Brooks for his compete level last night. He did not look out of place at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00